Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Would you kindly...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you kindly...

Poll Results: Have you had something spoiled for you in such a jarring way you'd not even feel up to experiencing it in the first place?

 
  • 50% (4)
    Yes
  • 50% (4)
    No
8 Total Votes  
post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
This is not a rant, nor is it a rave. I'd just like to express my thoughts on the prominence of trolls and spoilers in today's internet culture, especially in one where anonymity gives many people power.

So far, I have already had Bioshock Infinite spoiled for me. While browsing reddit (I do not have default subs anymore) a troll came along and replied to almost everyone in the thread with spoilers, so that when we clicked on our inbox it was staring us right in the face. Not cool. mad.gif This was not even remotely a thread dedicated to video gaming. If you want to know what they are, click the spoiler. Regardless, I will still enjoy the game, as there are still questions yet unanswered.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I learned that Booker is somehow Comstock from another reality, that Elizabeth is Booker's daughter, and that Anna is not a real person, for some reason. I also learned a minor spoiler in the way of the Luteces being able to travel between different realities, but not why.

Being halfway through the game, it's not that bad, as I said, but I still feel robbed of my first playthrough. It's like reading the Harry Potter series and, in the last book, jumping to the end. The exposition just deflates as all the subtle foreshadowing is now blindly obvious to you.

Do we really live in a world where if we want to have a personal moment, to disconnect from everyone? Where, even if we go hiking some of the most pristine corners of the world, we will see cigarette butts or crushed cans on the side of the trail? What's gonna happen when Half Life 3 comes out later this year or next? Am I going to have to unplug for the duration of it, closing off all internet presence?

Granted, video games are easier to spoil than movies. So are books, because you don't just play a game or read a book with that kind of depth in a matter of hours.

I just want to shed light on this trend that has been around since the beginning of time, but only now fueled greatly by anonymity online. Is this something we are going to have to deal with from now on? I hope not.
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbalabba View Post

This is not a rant, nor is it a rave. I'd just like to express my thoughts on the prominence of trolls and spoilers in today's internet culture, especially in one where anonymity gives many people power.

So far, I have already had Bioshock Infinite spoiled for me. While browsing reddit (I do not have default subs anymore) a troll came along and replied to almost everyone in the thread with spoilers, so that when we clicked on our inbox it was staring us right in the face. Not cool. mad.gif This was not even remotely a thread dedicated to video gaming. If you want to know what they are, click the spoiler. Regardless, I will still enjoy the game, as there are still questions yet unanswered.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I learned that Booker is somehow Comstock from another reality, that Elizabeth is Booker's daughter, and that Anna is not a real person, for some reason. I also learned a minor spoiler in the way of the Luteces being able to travel between different realities, but not why.

Being halfway through the game, it's not that bad, as I said, but I still feel robbed of my first playthrough. It's like reading the Harry Potter series and, in the last book, jumping to the end. The exposition just deflates as all the subtle foreshadowing is now blindly obvious to you.

Do we really live in a world where if we want to have a personal moment, to disconnect from everyone? Where, even if we go hiking some of the most pristine corners of the world, we will see cigarette butts or crushed cans on the side of the trail? What's gonna happen when Half Life 3 comes out later this year or next? Am I going to have to unplug for the duration of it, closing off all internet presence?

Granted, video games are easier to spoil than movies. So are books, because you don't just play a game or read a book with that kind of depth in a matter of hours.

I just want to shed light on this trend that has been around since the beginning of time, but only now fueled greatly by anonymity online. Is this something we are going to have to deal with from now on? I hope not.

I haven't seen anyone reveal spoilers here, maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads?

My advice would be: avoid places like Reddit, 4Chan, etc etc, it's not like they don't have a rep for trolling to begin with wink.gif
Meh
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.7GHz Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 GTX Titan 16GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB  2x 500GB WD Green RAID1 + WD 2TB Green  Noctua Nh-DH 14 Win 8 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Shimian Achieva 2560x1440p IPS Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-A05N 
  hide details  
Reply
Meh
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.7GHz Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 GTX Titan 16GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB  2x 500GB WD Green RAID1 + WD 2TB Green  Noctua Nh-DH 14 Win 8 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Shimian Achieva 2560x1440p IPS Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-A05N 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
LOL. I feel the same way about movie trailers. Seen the trailer? Then you basically saw the movie. Especially for your run-of-the-mill summer flicks. Of course there are rare exceptions to this. I that Ironman 3 has kind of been ruined for me a bit already, I think they revealed way too much, but if they manage to shock me somehow, then I will be impressed.

Back growing up my mom was also terrible at keeping secrets, she couldn't stand but to spoil something for me. Drove me nuts. She still kind of does it. Still love her though.

Can't really relate to the game side of spoiling though.
DEFCON-3
(22 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 (4.8GHz) Sabertooth 990FX (R1.01/BIOS1604) ASUS GTX 780Ti 2x8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT-X (2140MHz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB Kingston SSDnow 128GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar BLACK 500GB ASUS Blu-ray ASUS LightScribe SILVER ARROW SB-E 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 PRO 64-bit 3x ASUS VN248H (24" 1080p AH-IPS) Logitech G710+ Seasonic G-750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM STORM:Trooper (DEFCON-3 MOD) Logitech MX Master Corsair MM600 CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z 
AudioOther
Audio Technica ATH-m50xbl Chill Factor III 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 880k ASRock A88M-G/3.1 ASUS GTX 660ti HyperX Fury 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 750GB LG Blu-ray Windows 10 P502ui-b1 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Logitech k400r Rosewill Hive 550W ROSEWILL SRM-01 Vizio S4251W-b4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 MSI 770-C45 Sparkle GT 220 4GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black Seagate Baracuda 1TB ASUS blu-ray Stock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Proffesional  Acer 24"  Logitech Wave OCZ modXtreme Pro 600W 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Centurion 5 blue Logitech LX8 
  hide details  
Reply
DEFCON-3
(22 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 (4.8GHz) Sabertooth 990FX (R1.01/BIOS1604) ASUS GTX 780Ti 2x8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT-X (2140MHz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB Kingston SSDnow 128GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar BLACK 500GB ASUS Blu-ray ASUS LightScribe SILVER ARROW SB-E 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 PRO 64-bit 3x ASUS VN248H (24" 1080p AH-IPS) Logitech G710+ Seasonic G-750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM STORM:Trooper (DEFCON-3 MOD) Logitech MX Master Corsair MM600 CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z 
AudioOther
Audio Technica ATH-m50xbl Chill Factor III 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 880k ASRock A88M-G/3.1 ASUS GTX 660ti HyperX Fury 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial MX300 750GB LG Blu-ray Windows 10 P502ui-b1 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Logitech k400r Rosewill Hive 550W ROSEWILL SRM-01 Vizio S4251W-b4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 MSI 770-C45 Sparkle GT 220 4GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black Seagate Baracuda 1TB ASUS blu-ray Stock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Proffesional  Acer 24"  Logitech Wave OCZ modXtreme Pro 600W 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Centurion 5 blue Logitech LX8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2207 View Post

I haven't seen anyone reveal spoilers here, maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads?

My advice would be: avoid places like Reddit, 4Chan, etc etc, it's not like they don't have a rep for trolling to begin with wink.gif

Well, you see, that's the whole problem. Am I going to have to give up these forums every time I want to experience something without constant "What level are you on" or "OMG this part" facebook-like updates? That doesn't seem like a good way to live.
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbalabba View Post

Well, you see, that's the whole problem. Am I going to have to give up these forums every time I want to experience something without constant "What level are you on" or "OMG this part" facebook-like updates? That doesn't seem like a good way to live.

I think that's what I was trying to say, people round here appear to be very considerate, even screenshots in some of the BioShock benchmark threads had a spoiler tag so that location and what not gave nothing away smile.gif
Meh
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.7GHz Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 GTX Titan 16GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB  2x 500GB WD Green RAID1 + WD 2TB Green  Noctua Nh-DH 14 Win 8 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Shimian Achieva 2560x1440p IPS Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-A05N 
  hide details  
Reply
Meh
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.7GHz Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 GTX Titan 16GB Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB  2x 500GB WD Green RAID1 + WD 2TB Green  Noctua Nh-DH 14 Win 8 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Shimian Achieva 2560x1440p IPS Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-A05N 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Would you kindly...