Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › So, EVGA 670 FTW vs Asus GTX 670 DCII
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, EVGA 670 FTW vs Asus GTX 670 DCII

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
So my second 7950 died and I returned it back to the store.. full refund no issue. It worked nice but I saw little to no improvements with CFX, the only game in which I saw more than 20% improvement in frames was BF3, which was near 100% scaling.

So if scaling is this bad for CFX (And seeing SLI numbers seems so much better in comparison), I'm gonna sell my first 7950 and buy a 670 because I want to get a second one later on.

But.. I want a back plate purely for aesthetics reasons. I can get a 670 FTW for $429.99 without a backplate.. or a 670 DCII with a backplate for the same price. EVGA seems to have better RMA servicing compared to the horror stories from Asus. The cooling performance difference from what I've seen is around 8 degrees celcius.. however the 670 FTW looks so much better than the DCII in terms of aesthetics. What do you guys think? I'm planning to get two so reference style fans might be better, and the EVGA backplate I can buy is a ton better than Asus' backplate.
post #2 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1217 View Post

So my second 7950 died and I returned it back to the store.. full refund no issue. It worked nice but I saw little to no improvements with CFX, the only game in which I saw more than 20% improvement in frames was BF3, which was near 100% scaling.

So if scaling is this bad for CFX (And seeing SLI numbers seems so much better in comparison), I'm gonna sell my first 7950 and buy a 670 because I want to get a second one later on.

But.. I want a back plate purely for aesthetics reasons. I can get a 670 FTW for $429.99 without a backplate.. or a 670 DCII with a backplate for the same price. EVGA seems to have better RMA servicing compared to the horror stories from Asus. The cooling performance difference from what I've seen is around 8 degrees celcius.. however the 670 FTW looks so much better than the DCII in terms of aesthetics. What do you guys think? I'm planning to get two so reference style fans might be better, and the EVGA backplate I can buy is a ton better than Asus' backplate.

Unless I am wrong the FTW is better then the regular DCII. The TOP Version regularly beat the FTW edition but they were having a lot of problems with them when they first launched. I own the FTW and can attest for its awesomeness. So that combined with the fact that it outperforms the regular DCII is the reason for my suggesting it. thumb.gif
post #3 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post

Unless I am wrong the FTW is better then the regular DCII. The TOP Version regularly beat the FTW edition but they were having a lot of problems with them when they first launched. I own the FTW and can attest for its awesomeness. So that combined with the fact that it outperforms the regular DCII is the reason for my suggesting it. thumb.gif

Is the fan really audible? I want reference style because I plan to SLI in the future, and I would like my GPU to push hot air out of the case. Not to mention the 670 FTW is really good looking..
post #4 of 68
I would go with the FTW. Ive had to RMA my TOP three times because of it's instability...right out of the box.
Godzilla Powered
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock Extreme7 Gen3 ASUS GTX670 DCII 16GB Corsair Vengance PC1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Hitachi EK Supreme Full Nickel + Black Ice GTX 120.3  Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS247H-P Logitech G19 SeaSonic X850 Modded HAF 932 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G700 ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Technica ATH-A700 
  hide details  
Reply
Godzilla Powered
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k ASRock Extreme7 Gen3 ASUS GTX670 DCII 16GB Corsair Vengance PC1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Hitachi EK Supreme Full Nickel + Black Ice GTX 120.3  Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS247H-P Logitech G19 SeaSonic X850 Modded HAF 932 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G700 ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Technica ATH-A700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1217 View Post

Is the fan really audible? I want reference style because I plan to SLI in the future, and I would like my GPU to push hot air out of the case. Not to mention the 670 FTW is really good looking..

When its cranking out at 80% it can get somewhat loud but nothing unexpected. I wouldn't say it's any louder then any of the other cards I've seen.
post #6 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post

When its cranking out at 80% it can get somewhat loud but nothing unexpected. I wouldn't say it's any louder then any of the other cards I've seen.

Yeah I guess you have to be right. So many people have this card, and no one complains about noise or performance. Must be a really good cooler, the 680 one.

Alot of people say that they can't even hear it either... how do you think it would perform in SLI? Temp and noise wise?
post #7 of 68
Reference 680 PCB all the way...
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 68
+1 on the FTW. I have mine under a 680 waterblock so I don't know what the fan sounds like, but it's a great overclocker and preforms very well. EVGA customer service is also very good.

I'm upgrading to sli soon as well, under air I would guess the top one would get warmer like usual. I would like at reviews on 680 sli (same design) for more info on temps and noise
Sideous
(12 items)
 
OCN ultimate rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3770k Asus Sabertooth z77 EVGA GTX 670 FTW Patriot Viper Xtreme 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M3 ASUS DRW Custom water cooling Windows 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2310m 1080p Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4670k Maximus VI Gene gtx 780 gtx 780 
CoolingCoolingCoolingKeyboard
EK-FC GeForce GTX Titan SE GPU Water Block - Ni... EK-FC Titan SE Backplate - Black X2 EK supremacy clean csq nickel Corsair K70 mx brown 
PowerCase
EVGA 750w CaseLabs Mercury S5 
  hide details  
Reply
Sideous
(12 items)
 
OCN ultimate rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 3770k Asus Sabertooth z77 EVGA GTX 670 FTW Patriot Viper Xtreme 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M3 ASUS DRW Custom water cooling Windows 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2310m 1080p Corsair K90 Corsair AX850 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4670k Maximus VI Gene gtx 780 gtx 780 
CoolingCoolingCoolingKeyboard
EK-FC GeForce GTX Titan SE GPU Water Block - Ni... EK-FC Titan SE Backplate - Black X2 EK supremacy clean csq nickel Corsair K70 mx brown 
PowerCase
EVGA 750w CaseLabs Mercury S5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 68

Get the FTW, I hear nothing but horror stories about Asus' customer support.

post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1217 View Post

Yeah I guess you have to be right. So many people have this card, and no one complains about noise or performance. Must be a really good cooler, the 680 one.

Alot of people say that they can't even hear it either... how do you think it would perform in SLI? Temp and noise wise?

Temp wise I wouldn't be able to give an accurate guess. Obviously a little warmer just because it is sandwiched in next to another card. As for noise I have the NZXT Phantom with 7 fans cranked up all the way when I game. When the 670 gets cranked up to 80%(maxed out according to evga precision) fan speed it is distinguishable from the other fans. At 70% it's about the same noise level as the others.

Edit: I edited because I actually went back and tested for you so that I could give you as accurate an answer as I could.
Edited by Bonkers - 3/31/13 at 8:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › So, EVGA 670 FTW vs Asus GTX 670 DCII