Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Computer Room / Office › Want to paint my computer resk black
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want to paint my computer resk black - Page 2

post #11 of 18
You could always use a foam roller if you want to reduce/minimize the amount of "orange peel" texture if you don't want to go with 20 cans of spray paint or don't have a spay gun/compressor.

When I replaced all the doors inside my house during a major renovation a couple years ago, I painted them with a foam roller. It allowed me to cover a large area with a roller, but not have a ton of texture like you would get with a traditional roller with say a 1/4" or 3/8" nap.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

You could always use a foam roller if you want to reduce/minimize the amount of "orange peel" texture if you don't want to go with 20 cans of spray paint or don't have a spay gun/compressor.

When I replaced all the doors inside my house during a major renovation a couple years ago, I painted them with a foam roller. It allowed me to cover a large area with a roller, but not have a ton of texture like you would get with a traditional roller with say a 1/4" or 3/8" nap.

Foam rollers are notorious for picking up a greater amount of paint than traditional fiber rollers and are known to leave less roller marks due to their texture so yea if your gonna go with the roller option than use a nice foam roller usually found in the smaller sizes from 2" to 7" or larger but I would personally use the brush if you want a nice finish.
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Always remember a 3" brush can cover a large area when it's fully loaded with paint and has more control and precision vs a roller of any kind
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 18
Definitely don't spray paint it. Assuming its real wood, you may want to look into staining it so you can preserve the wood grain. Is there a reason you want it to be black? You may find that a nice dark cherry stain would look really nice. You would want to sand/strip all the current finish from the wood, stain it with 1 or 2 coats, and then seal it. Spray paint is going to make it look like hell.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks8981 View Post

Definitely don't spray paint it. Assuming its real wood, you may want to look into staining it so you can preserve the wood grain. Is there a reason you want it to be black? You may find that a nice dark cherry stain would look really nice. You would want to sand/strip all the current finish from the wood, stain it with 1 or 2 coats, and then seal it. Spray paint is going to make it look like hell.

Since it's already a light cherry I'm guessing he wants to go a different route than natural wood grain but you can take natural wood and make a real crazy Burl effect with a little effort and you would have one unique Computer Desk
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok I was really lazy :-) I bought Rustoleum Universal satin black spray paint. It says its both paint and primer. On some parts it took very very well. On others like the top of the Hutch it did not. Do they sell spray paint primer? I found some but they are all grey or white. If I am painting black wouldn't I need black primer? Or would any do.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon26 View Post

Ok I was really lazy :-) I bought Rustoleum Universal satin black spray paint. It says its both paint and primer. On some parts it took very very well. On others like the top of the Hutch it did not. Do they sell spray paint primer? I found some but they are all grey or white. If I am painting black wouldn't I need black primer? Or would any do.

Doesn't matter.
Big Poppa
(18 items)
 
KonHive
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700k ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Baracudda EK M8G Monoblock 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK FC970 GTX WF3 Windows 10 64-bit 2 x Dell U2414H Filco Majestouch Tactile Click "Otaku" NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
850W Silverstone Decathlon Corsair 900D Logitech G900 SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
Audio
Cambridge Audio Magic DAC 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Quad Q6600 Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Kingston Hyper X Seagate Baracudda 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital Velociraptor Zalman CNPS9700 Windows Server 2012 Seasonic S12II 430W 
Case
Antec P280 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Poppa
(18 items)
 
KonHive
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700k ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Baracudda EK M8G Monoblock 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK FC970 GTX WF3 Windows 10 64-bit 2 x Dell U2414H Filco Majestouch Tactile Click "Otaku" NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
850W Silverstone Decathlon Corsair 900D Logitech G900 SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
Audio
Cambridge Audio Magic DAC 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Quad Q6600 Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Kingston Hyper X Seagate Baracudda 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital Velociraptor Zalman CNPS9700 Windows Server 2012 Seasonic S12II 430W 
Case
Antec P280 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Its actually laminate particle wood. I should have said that from the start duh....not real wood...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Room / Office
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Computer Room / Office › Want to paint my computer resk black