Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › How should I apply Coollaboratory Liquid PRO to my CPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How should I apply Coollaboratory Liquid PRO to my CPU?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm getting ready to delid my 3570k and attach a new H100i to it afterwards. I bought the CLL PRO after reading through every delid thread I could find.

From watching a video of a guy using a razor to delid his, I noticed how he was applying the CLL PRO using the brush to apply a thin layer on top of the die so that part is going to be straight forward. I also read many people are now using it between their CPU and heatsink because of how good it is.

Now.. I've always applied Arctic MX-2 in an X pattern on my CPU but am not sure how to apply the CLL PRO to the top of the heatsink. Especially considering this stuff has far different physical properties than the MX-2 I'm used to. Granted, there is a long standing debate on how to best apply anything to the CPU.

Should I just apply it via brush via the same technique to the CPU in a thin coating?


(Apologies if this has been discussed.. I've been searching for a direct answer to this and haven't found one)
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 18
Very Carefully.....
Sorry lol, just use the included brush or q-tip and spread it. I think CL has a video on it too.
post #3 of 18
DOnt use too much.Search for the video from CL
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Use as little as possible and just work it around. It might take a little while to "work it", but the stuff spreads like wildfire. You just want to paint the thinnest layer possible to the die and the underside of the IHS and you should be able to accomplish that with about half of a grain of rice worth. Also, you should know that putting the CLP in contact with a copper block (H100i) will cause the IHS to create a weld between itself and the block overtime. So if you take it off you might have to apply a good amount of force and sand the block and polish it before you put it back on. If you are just looking to pop it on and not touch it then go for it. Its a good thing for it to "weld" on because it will allow the greatest amount of heat transfer, but for people like myself I just don't think that its worth it. The temperature drop from using CLP (or CLU) is almost completely from using it on the die although if you do use it on your block you will probably see another 3c-5c drop added on to that. I just use MX4 on my H100i and CLU on the die and am perfectly happy with temps never going over 68c at 4.8Ghz. The decision is yours my friend. Do whatever you please.
post #5 of 18
I used it on both CPU and heatsink (waterblock in my case). Squeeze the syringe gently, you need like 1/2 rice grain of CL PRO to cover the CPU. I used the included cotton swab to spread it.
AMD-1
(13 items)
 
AMD-2
(8 items)
 
INTEL-1
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 ASUS CrosshairV Formula Power Color AX7970 G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2400 10-12-12-31 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
A-Data 256G EK Supreme HF, Water Chiller Windows 8 x64 Seasonic Gold X850 
Case
LianLi PC-A77 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Sapphire HD6970 1600 11-11-11-28 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
OCZ Vertex3 120Gb Heatkiller 3.0, GTX140 + GTX120 Seasonic Gold X650 Lian Li PC-7FN 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Maximus V Gene Sapphire HD7950 OCZ Platinum 1600 7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveCoolingPower
SanDisk 256G Enermax ETD-T60-TB 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD-1
(13 items)
 
AMD-2
(8 items)
 
INTEL-1
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 ASUS CrosshairV Formula Power Color AX7970 G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2400 10-12-12-31 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
A-Data 256G EK Supreme HF, Water Chiller Windows 8 x64 Seasonic Gold X850 
Case
LianLi PC-A77 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Sapphire HD6970 1600 11-11-11-28 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
OCZ Vertex3 120Gb Heatkiller 3.0, GTX140 + GTX120 Seasonic Gold X650 Lian Li PC-7FN 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Maximus V Gene Sapphire HD7950 OCZ Platinum 1600 7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveCoolingPower
SanDisk 256G Enermax ETD-T60-TB 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

Use as little as possible and just work it around. It might take a little while to "work it", but the stuff spreads like wildfire. You just want to paint the thinnest layer possible to the die and the underside of the IHS and you should be able to accomplish that with about half of a grain of rice worth. Also, you should know that putting the CLP in contact with a copper block (H100i) will cause the IHS to create a weld between itself and the block overtime. So if you take it off you might have to apply a good amount of force and sand the block and polish it before you put it back on. If you are just looking to pop it on and not touch it then go for it. Its a good thing for it to "weld" on because it will allow the greatest amount of heat transfer, but for people like myself I just don't think that its worth it. The temperature drop from using CLP (or CLU) is almost completely from using it on the die although if you do use it on your block you will probably see another 3c-5c drop added on to that. I just use MX4 on my H100i and CLU on the die and am perfectly happy with temps never going over 68c at 4.8Ghz. The decision is yours my friend. Do whatever you please.

Well.. I originally double checked the heatsink to make sure it wasn't aluminum. When I found it was copper I thought I was in the clear.

I might take it off, but not regularly.. or planned for that matter. The using a little force to separate is fine with me. I'm going to search around for this before I go forward. It doesn't sound like it will be a big enough deal to really worry about though.

I had not thought to put CLP on the bottom of the IHS, so thanks for that information.

Rep to you guys for helping so fast.

And for what it's worth.. in case anyone finds this thread in the future. Here is a link to the video on how to apply:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qFhbqiFh9Us
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 18
And just in case you have qualms with using a razor... Here's another way of delidding that just came up recently without having to use one and accidentally scratching your the die or pcb (LINK)
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmana View Post

And just in case you have qualms with using a razor... Here's another way of delidding that just came up recently without having to use one and accidentally scratching your the die or pcb (LINK)

That's how I had planned to do it smile.gif

I don't trust the razor technique at all.. not with my luck.
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Search View Post

That's how I had planned to do it smile.gif

I don't trust the razor technique at all.. not with my luck.

Yea I killed my first chip with the razor and didn't get a scratch on my second chip with the razor, but for my next chip I will be using the vice method! Just make sure to have someone hold their hands out about an inch in front of the chip just in case the pcb goes flying off so they can catch it thumb.gif
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

Yea I killed my first chip with the razor and didn't get a scratch on my second chip with the razor, but for my next chip I will be using the vice method! Just make sure to have someone hold their hands out about an inch in front of the chip just in case the pcb goes flying off so they can catch it thumb.gif

Yeah.. I don't even want to see me face if the chip went flying across the shop floor. Newegg would be really happy though.
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Thing
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820K ASUS Sabertooth X99 EVGA 980 ti Kingston HyperX Predator (16 gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 Pro Crucial M4 NZXT Kraken X60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift Logitech K70 RGB Corsair AX 860i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 750D Steelseries Rival Corsair the size of my desk Sennheiser HD650 
AudioAudioAudio
Schiit Magni 2 Schiit Modi 2 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › How should I apply Coollaboratory Liquid PRO to my CPU?