Originally Posted by Ch13f121
Also this isn't ITadmins.net, it's Overclock.net. We're all about bleeding edge software and performance, and being on the cutting edge of technology in general. Early adoption and all that.
Also I fail to see how Metro inhibits your ability to run multiple windows, considering the window management is the same as Windows 7 in desktop mode. Don't use Metro for productivity unless you're on a tablet. So if Win8 is bad at it, Win7 is just as bad.
Well if the majority of OCN hates Windows 8 and it's not IT Admins.net, then ever stop to think it's NOT the bleeding edged software you speak so highly of? Sure a few little improvements were made in memory managment and other performance aspects, but it pales in comparison to the changes being forced upon the rest whom will eventually have to either move on to linux or find a way to hack the crap out of windows and risk making it unstable. Planned obsolecence is the problem here, and one of the real issues is how hard M$ is pushing Metro. In blue, they're already showing progress in removing the classic desktop (which is my real grunt with windows 8...) And even then the classic desktop is an after thought. It's annoying how I have to thumb through this piece of crap software to get anything done. Yeah keyboard shortcuts and all that jazz. I mean If I had a touch screen monitor I might not hate it as much, but to be completely honest, there is nothing so massively improved to be shouting windows 8 to the high graces!
So my main gripe is how they want everyone to move to Metro, they're already working on it (proof is in the coding), and frankly it's a bit Apple-ish.
So you're getting on to the majority about disliking being forced onto a piece of crap OS that doesn't really have much of a noticeable performance benefit, and going on about how it's not ITAdmins.net while the rest of the world hates Windows 8 and you think it's the bee's knees.
Check it like this. Ever think that the "hate-wagon" isn't the hate-wagon and you're just fanboying over M$'s newest toy?
Let's take this a bit further, have you not considered the repercussions for those of us in the software industry? or those of us in the support industry? These new changes are going to breed a special kind of user that is going to be so inept that anything short of remote assistance is going to be hell.
M$ wants all new programs to run in Metro. And that's a new programming nightmare for the rest. Valve even spoke out against it (and they're releasing Steam on Linux which is admittedly, from a Linux user's standpoint, a pain in the ass.)
I mean come on, you guys are whining about all the "haters" when it's not really helping anyone. It's just a damn hipsters envisonment of a "Future" OS that somehow got past the developers table.
Yeah I kinda like Metro on a touch screen device. But otherwise, it's not so much the Implementation on the office aspect, it's going to be the ultimate support aspect of it all that's going to cost companies more than they have invested into their products. Microsoft is not in good graces with software giants already.
At the end of the day, the haters are annoying, and the fanboys are even more annoying. 5% of end users are sitting there oblivious to the world with an idiotic smile on their face attempting to grasp why the world, including software companies, dislike their shiny polished turd of a new toy, while the other 95% are furiously bashing away at their keyboards and making pointless support calls about trying to figure out how to open solitaire. It's a lose lose for everyone.
If the world wanted a Windows phone on their desktop, the world would have bought Windows phones....Edited by MediaRocker - 4/3/13 at 11:44am