Originally Posted by GoldenTiger
Yup, I ran in a static 8-man for several months, was glorious
, we used to go zerg-busting. I think the best fight we had was (if I recall correctly) over 100 killspams from enemies that we strung out in Emain and defeated, before the rest of the zerg collapsed on us and we ran out of tricks. Fight lasted about 15 minutes! That was during the Labyrinth era though, when more zerg-busting toys and things like Mythirians were around. I played from launch through 2008.
This post made me think of all the good times we had googled our old guild and found some fun forum threads where were were mentioned.
Rel Por used to regularly farm the hib/alb zergs in emain in OF....I have never seen a zerg run from an eight man before or since then.
The reason that I mentioned them is what was stated before me, they used to farm all of the zergs and Albs would avoid them like the plague, please keep in mind that on Guinevere Albion was very populated. They also got to the point where other 8 mans from other realms started running 2 groups to deal with them.
Also note the following:
- They really got famous right after SI released and was one of the first guilds to get gear SC'd, where most of Alb was still in Epic Armor.
- Most players were rr4 and rr5, compared to them being rr8-10
- Zerkers, which they ran 2-3 normally, were not nerfed (Pre-1.62)
- They also would run 2 RM's one full Supp with red near-sight, that locked down all casters and support
- There was no cure disease or near sight (pre-ToA)
- The Shaman was a bot mostly and most players ignored this endo bot.
- Players were still trying to figure the game out
- RP's were about 200 (max) a kill compared too the 800+ or so we see today
- They topped the leader boards for RPS made and IRS for a year or so
- First guild with a web site and their own forum that was heavily used by all realms. (Before VN even got a lot of traffic, their site was word of mouth)
EDIT: - This was before mouse pan and qbind was in game
EDIT: - This was before you got easily fraps a fight, instead people were using a TV graphics card to put it into a VCR
EDIT: - This was before the radar nerfs and it was only a select few running it at the time
Regardless of all that.... from a Guinevere perspective and also having played Galahad... I have never seen one guild force so many changes in the game for Mythic Developers and make other players adjust their tactics. (Zerk nerf, Savage nerf, Endo nerf, near sight nerf, casted resist nerf (Spell Pierce), disease nerf, pac healer nerf, and other things that allowed casual players to narrow the gap.) Pretty much TOA kinda of allowed that gap to close with all of those changes. Midgard was getting constant nerfs and Albion with Hibernia were getting love, but then Hib started getting treated like Mid with a lot of nerfs.
I am pretty sure that we will never see a guild that dominate due to the way the game is today. They did what players do... they exploited the strengths of a realm to maximize the results of their play time.
IMO, they are the ones who really got the 8 man craze going AND that is why I mentioned them.
Awww.. the good ol days.