Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building a Gaming PC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building a Gaming PC - Page 2

post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgothOfBarbaria View Post

Its been a little bit since i researched PSU's. Back in the day around 2004-2005 FSP group used to make the best PSU by way overdoing on the internals, then it was the Seasonic and PC Power and Cooling then around 2009 Corsair seemed to do well. Could you suggest couple more of high end high quality PSU's of today?

Other than the aforementioned Rosewill Capstone, some other good 650w PSUs with 4 PCIe connectors include Seasonic's G Series and X series, Rosewill's Fortress, NZXT's HALE 82N, and XFX's Core Edition.
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Other than the aforementioned Rosewill Capstone, some other good 650w PSUs with 4 PCIe connectors include Seasonic's G Series and X series, Rosewill's Fortress, NZXT's HALE 82N, and XFX's Core Edition.

Definitely go for the Seasonic PSU. I like the stuff they do. XFX has models that are basically re-branded Seasonics.
post #13 of 39
Thread Starter 
Here is a new updated build so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/korgothofbarbaria/saved/1pTq

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $209.99
CPU Cooler Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid $79.99
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $104.99
Memory Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $47.98
Storage Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" SSD $109.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $69.98
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB $297.98
Case Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower $160.98
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V $125.98
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.96
Custom NZXT HUE RGB Led Controller $32.99
Total $1260.81

this total will probably be less once my friend chooses a different case I just left the old one for reference.(the case will be around $100-120 + some blue led fans)

Any input on this PC Power & Cooling 950W monster? Definitively an overkill but the price is right and it gets whopping 83.4 Amps on a single 12 rail!
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 39
Quote:
He chose the Antec 1200 v3 mainly because he likes blue Leds, but I will persuade him into a better case and put bleu led fan in it.As others have stated antec 1200 is an older design so Ill select couple of them in the $100-$120 range an go from there.

Check out the NZXT cases. They make really nice quality cases and they have great airflow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146087
post #15 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Other than the aforementioned Rosewill Capstone, some other good 650w PSUs with 4 PCIe connectors include Seasonic's G Series and X series, Rosewill's Fortress, NZXT's HALE 82N, and XFX's Core Edition.

Will the mentioned above psu handle 2 x 7950's. I also like a little leg room in the event that new video cards in the future from now end up being more power hungry. I generally run the same core build for 4 years (cpu mobo ram etc) and get new video card(s) every 2 years or so. (I'm personally due for completely new build..see sig) as I'm doing this build for my friend It looks like there will be another build soon for me smile.gif
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgothOfBarbaria View Post

Here is a new updated build so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/korgothofbarbaria/saved/1pTq

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $209.99
CPU Cooler Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid $79.99
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 $104.99
Memory Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $47.98
Storage Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" SSD $109.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $69.98
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB $297.98
Case Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower $160.98
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V $125.98
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.96
Custom NZXT HUE RGB Led Controller $32.99
Total $1260.81

this total will probably be less once my friend chooses a different case I just left the old one for reference.(the case will be around $100-120 + some blue led fans)

Any input on this PC Power & Cooling 950W monster? Definitively an overkill but the price is right and it gets whopping 83.4 Amps on a single 12 rail!

Dude that power supply is crazy overkill unless your doing some serious OC. It looks to be a great deal though, but what about one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207015
post #17 of 39
Thread Starter 
O cool didn't know that about XFX. I've always like Seasonic from many years ago.
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgothOfBarbaria View Post

Will the mentioned above psu handle 2 x 7950's. I also like a little leg room in the event that new video cards in the future from now end up being more power hungry. I generally run the same core build for 4 years (cpu mobo ram etc) and get new video card(s) every 2 years or so. (I'm personally due for completely new build..see sig) as I'm doing this build for my friend It looks like there will be another build soon for me smile.gif

Newer Video cards should generally be a little lower or same power consumption but better graphics performance. I don't think you will need anything above a good 750W anytime soon.

I changed my mind. Check out this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgothOfBarbaria View Post

Will the mentioned above psu handle 2 x 7950's. I also like a little leg room in the event that new video cards in the future from now end up being more power hungry. I generally run the same core build for 4 years (cpu mobo ram etc) and get new video card(s) every 2 years or so. (I'm personally due for completely new build..see sig) as I'm doing this build for my friend It looks like there will be another build soon for me smile.gif

Since an overclocked 7950 takes at most 200w from the power supply (source: Guru3D), a 750w unit will handle 2x 7950s easily.
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchibahnSLC View Post

Check out the NZXT cases. They make really nice quality cases and they have great airflow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146087

Those look really nice especially since they are offered in different colors. I saw couple of these at the Overkill Lan party and they very very roomy and not to crazy big. Those fan controllers up top are nice too. Ill suggest this to my friend as well. Im sure he will like it with especially with the after market Plexiglas side window.
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Brock Sampson
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Asus P5N-D PowerColor HD 7950 8GB (4X2) G-skill 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 X Samsung F1 500gb in Raid 0 Windows 7 Pro ASUS VH242H Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750TX Cooler Master 690 Moded Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building a Gaming PC