Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNN] Game of Thrones premiere sets piracy record
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNN] Game of Thrones premiere sets piracy record - Page 17  

post #161 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledonny View Post

I'm 99% sure it will. HBO has the best on-demand service of any channel. I can access any episode of any original series they've ever made. I've done this on both Uverse and DirecTV.


Worst* Fixed that for you, I can't get HBO online in Australia, I'd pay 15/month for it just to watch GoT but no they are too stupid to realize that people live outside of america, So i will go about it alternative ways.
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
post #162 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

So why do you feel entitled to have it on the very same day it's released in the US? There's tons of release dates for various products that are different worldwide. Lots of playstation games, especially exclusives, came out in Japan first. I never felt I had to pirate them to play a week earlier.

Spoilers isn't a very valid reason with GoT, as the books have been out for years.

It isn't the same. Why is it so hard to pay per episode you see? I'm not against paying for stuff (I actually have all my pc games original, as I support the people that do a good job) but, like Newell stated once, piracy is not a money problem, is a service one. Companies should be looking at the real issue here, because the fact of the matter is that people have to subscribe to a whole package they have no interest into just for ONE tv show... when the other option is terribly conveniant (and also free).

Also, what you don't realise is that, in Spain, most TV-shows are in spanish. It's not about the language, it's about the fact that things not in OV are a totally different animal, you simply can't dub something and expect it to have the same quality or immersion (and I'll tell you what... it's kinda sad to watch GoT not in english, at least if you are used to watch everything in english).

It's like going to the cinema. I don't go, because everything is released in spanish, and I watch nothing in spanish unless that is its OV.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k MSI P67 GD65 GTX460 1GB GTX460 1GB 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 Prolimatech Megahalems + 2 x GT AP15 Win 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Noppoo Choc mini Corsair HX620 Microcool Banchetto rev. 2.0 black aluminium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie EC1 Zowie Fiio E7 + E9 / Sennheiser HD 25 1 II 
  hide details  
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k MSI P67 GD65 GTX460 1GB GTX460 1GB 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 Prolimatech Megahalems + 2 x GT AP15 Win 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Noppoo Choc mini Corsair HX620 Microcool Banchetto rev. 2.0 black aluminium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie EC1 Zowie Fiio E7 + E9 / Sennheiser HD 25 1 II 
  hide details  
post #163 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Worst* Fixed that for you, I can't get HBO online in Australia, I'd pay 15/month for it just to watch GoT but no they are too stupid to realize that people live outside of america, So i will go about it alternative ways.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/entertainment/16493582/game-of-thrones-a-game-changer/

Looks like AUS is one of the best places to get GoT outside the US... maybe even better then the US since you can apparently DL it on itunes already.
Code:
But the real game changer for Australian TV viewers and network executives is the fact that GoT was made available to watch here so quickly.

As well as fast-tracking it to showcase, HBO made the GoT season opener available for download from the Australian iTunes store just ten hours after the US world premiere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prava View Post

It isn't the same. Why is it so hard to pay per episode you see? I'm not against paying for stuff (I actually have all my pc games original, as I support the people that do a good job) but, like Newell stated once, piracy is not a money problem, is a service one. Companies should be looking at the real issue here, because the fact of the matter is that people have to subscribe to a whole package they have no interest into just for ONE tv show... when the other option is terribly conveniant (and also free).

Also, what you don't realise is that, in Spain, most TV-shows are in spanish. It's not about the language, it's about the fact that things not in OV are a totally different animal, you simply can't dub something and expect it to have the same quality or immersion (and I'll tell you what... it's kinda sad to watch GoT not in english, at least if you are used to watch everything in english).

It's like going to the cinema. I don't go, because everything is released in spanish, and I watch nothing in spanish unless that is its OV.

HBO has decided they either make more or safer money the current way. It doesn't really matter how many people miss out, you aren't entitled to see the show at all. It explains the piracy, but does not justify it.

Why on earth would you think me, or anyone for that matter, wouldn't realize TV shows in Spain are in Spanish? If you want subtitles instead of dubbing, that's a different issue.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
post #164 of 237
It's not a "world premiere" when only one region gets it smile.gif

Though, being fair, if it airs at 8pm in the US... it's not possible to air it here until the following even really.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
post #165 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by seward View Post

Removing the economic incentive for the creation of new content - what could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by un-midas touch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by seward View Post

Removing the economic incentive for the creation of new content - what could possibly go wrong?

Yea I don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be here.

Besides, corporations have more money than the populace anyways. We need to figure out ways to get them to pay us for stuff. Not the other way around anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by un-midas touch View Post

Yea I don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be here.

Besides, corporations have more money than the populace anyways. We need to figure out ways to get them to pay us for stuff. Not the other way around anymore.

Exactly, my wife works for time warner, so I know all about how they make money off commercials and subscriptions, it's really ridiculous how much they make versus what they want to charge us for a subscription.

No, it is that simple. The evil Engulf and Devour corporation makes money from a lot of things, but George R.R. and the folks who write the scripts only get paid when the devil corporation sees eyeballs on the screen, and that pay is commensurate with the eyeball numbers - the official numbers. If you really know folks in the industry, they'll tell you that.

In other media, like music, copyrights aren't transferred like they used to be - most of the people who make music worth listening to retain most or all of their rights (see e.g. Matador's artist list), and when you get that stuff from the fat guy's site, you're stealing from them - taking food off of their plates.

A lot of artists have adapted to The New Way - they give some stuff out, and they charge for some stuff. Do 'em a favor, if you like the freebies. Show some support.

I'm no fan of Sony et al. But if Sony et al. aren't the ones who rely on legit views for their income - or if they're not even a part of the equation, holding little or no copyright control over the material - that doesn't really matter, does it?

But whatev. We all make choices.
post #166 of 237
How else is anyone outside of the USA supposed to see it in any reasonable time frame? It's their own god damn fault for not offering worldwide people a way to pay for it.
post #167 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

Why on earth would you think me, or anyone for that matter, wouldn't realize TV shows in Spain are in Spanish? If you want subtitles instead of dubbing, that's a different issue.

rolleyes.gif Obvious thing is obvious. My point wasn't about stuff in Spain being in spanish... my point was about me wanting things in english... in Spain. To be clear, if it ain't in english (provided that's the OV) I won't bother seeing it.

So, to me, I have even less choices.

PS: and yes, its their choice... as it is mine. In Spain piracy ain't illegal, and I can't watch GoT in any paying means on a decent manner. You get the rest thumb.gif
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k MSI P67 GD65 GTX460 1GB GTX460 1GB 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 Prolimatech Megahalems + 2 x GT AP15 Win 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Noppoo Choc mini Corsair HX620 Microcool Banchetto rev. 2.0 black aluminium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie EC1 Zowie Fiio E7 + E9 / Sennheiser HD 25 1 II 
  hide details  
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k MSI P67 GD65 GTX460 1GB GTX460 1GB 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 Prolimatech Megahalems + 2 x GT AP15 Win 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Noppoo Choc mini Corsair HX620 Microcool Banchetto rev. 2.0 black aluminium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie EC1 Zowie Fiio E7 + E9 / Sennheiser HD 25 1 II 
  hide details  
post #168 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by seward View Post



No, it is that simple. The evil Engulf and Devour corporation makes money from a lot of things, but George R.R. and the folks who write the scripts only get paid when the devil corporation sees eyeballs on the screen, and that pay is commensurate with the eyeball numbers - the official numbers. If you really know folks in the industry, they'll tell you that.

In other media, like music, copyrights aren't transferred like they used to be - most of the people who make music worth listening to retain most or all of their rights (see e.g. Matador's artist list), and when you get that stuff from the fat guy's site, you're stealing from them - taking food off of their plates.

A lot of artists have adapted to The New Way - they give some stuff out, and they charge for some stuff. Do 'em a favor, if you like the freebies. Show some support.

I'm no fan of Sony et al. But if Sony et al. aren't the ones who rely on legit views for their income - or if they're not even a part of the equation, holding little or no copyright control over the material - that doesn't really matter, does it?

But whatev. We all make choices.

Including the artist. To back their work with Engulf and Devour, apparently.
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
post #169 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

I imagine it will be episode 9 just like the season 1 major 'event' was episode 9.

We will have to wait for next year to see Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Joffrey die/Tywin die
. I imagine that Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Lady Stoneheart
will be reavealed in the finale this year unlike the book where it was at the very end. There isn't actually a continuity factor since it happens just a few days after the event and it's a really good cliff hanger without blowing your next two loads early.

And they will have to make sure they transition season 4 and 5 right because Feast and Dance are both nearly unfilmable. I imagine 4 will be the rest of swords + beginning of feast/dance and 5 will be the end of feast/dance plus the beginning of book six. If GRRM can get back to writing. Otherwise they have issues.

Anyway. Back to piracy.

Well I was specifically talking about TRW at the Twins...but yes maybe it will be this season. All i know for sure is, generally, Book 3 ASOS is being split into this season and next.
Dark Star
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5 4690K  Gigabyte Z97 UD3H EVGA 670 FTW 4GB EVGA 670 FTW 4GB 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB Samsung Green 30nm  Samsung 850 512GB Asus Blu Ray Burner Custom Water 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 QX2710 PLS 27" Matte Ducky DK9008G2 MX Black Seasonic SS-760XP2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Enthoo Pro Steelseries Sensei Raw Frost Blue Asus Xonar DX Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
Dark Star
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5 4690K  Gigabyte Z97 UD3H EVGA 670 FTW 4GB EVGA 670 FTW 4GB 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB Samsung Green 30nm  Samsung 850 512GB Asus Blu Ray Burner Custom Water 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 QX2710 PLS 27" Matte Ducky DK9008G2 MX Black Seasonic SS-760XP2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Enthoo Pro Steelseries Sensei Raw Frost Blue Asus Xonar DX Logitech Z-5500 
  hide details  
post #170 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by General121 View Post

O.O I still have to see the episode but i didnt think it would be on at torrent sites yet...
Granted its probably the most pirated since its a great show but only on HBO and few people have HBO...
Edit: Not saying that I am/will pirate it..

HBO is actually subscribed to by millions, and is one of the top premium channels. I believe its #1 or #2. Definitely in the top 5.

HBO doesn't care because they've already figured out how to make a butt-load of money from game of thrones. That plan starts with getting as many people to watch as possible, whether they do so legally, or illegally. One of their secrets? Giving the consumer RESPECT. They do not shove ads down viewers throats, they do not make bullcrap programs. The real key: they make legit stuff that people WANT to watch. The entire world has "GoT-mania". All they need to keep doing is making GOOD shows, and they'll be straight for many decades more. HBO does not need ad revenue as a result: they have something everyone wants, and people pay for it.

To foreigners (person from canada who had good point): HBO is beginning to offer HBOGO only services in countries outside of the USA. Idk when it will be to Canada, or whatever country you're in, but it has begun. HBO is going to be a semi netflix in the next couple of years. They have seen the road ahead, and know how to walk it.

HBO is genius when it comes to its original programming. Everything they touch is gold. They pioneered the way with the first ever premium show, Oz, followed up with The Sopranos/Wire (arguably the two greatest shows in the history of television), then Entourage, and now they have GoT/Boardwalk. I'm not even going to list the slew of other amazing shows that they have created, because there is no need.

Everyone loves chicken. They're doing fine.
Edited by kmac20 - 4/4/13 at 5:05pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte z77x-ud3h MSI 7850 Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4  Western Digital 2500YS Seagate Barracuda Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSPowerCase
CoolerMaster 212 evo Windows 7 Ultimate XION PowerReal 600W NZXT Nemesis Elite 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MX518 MicroCenter $1 Mousepad Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte z77x-ud3h MSI 7850 Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4  Western Digital 2500YS Seagate Barracuda Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSPowerCase
CoolerMaster 212 evo Windows 7 Ultimate XION PowerReal 600W NZXT Nemesis Elite 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MX518 MicroCenter $1 Mousepad Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNN] Game of Thrones premiere sets piracy record