I still haven't stained the shelf molding yet. It doesn't look bad enough to motivate me to do that. When I do get around to it I think I might clear off my desk and put another coat of polyurethane on it because the two coats I put on there aren't very even. Anyway, here's a non desk related update:
The wall mount I'll be using for my TV:
The one thing I don't like about this wall color is the fact that it's almost impossible to see pencil marks on it. I had to put masking tape on the wall and make my marks on that. Here's the wall mount on the wall:
I used a hole saw (2 1/8" I think) and cut a hole in the top of the retrofit electrical box I installed a couple years ago when I put in an Ethernet jack. I'll be running the TV cables through that.
I used the same hole saw to cut out a hole next to the wall mount, and then used a reciprocating saw blade (just used the blade by hand) to cut out the rest of the hole
Low voltage retrofit box installed (this needs to be replaced. For some reason the tabs were missing. This should have been the type of box I used for the Ethernet jack.):
Threw a switch plate on there so it would look less ugly (not that I will see it much):
Pulled an extension cord and an HDMI cable through. This was a bit of a challenge since the two electrical boxes are at opposite ends of that bay.
I moved my bookcase into the closet
My setup has changed again. I took the lamps off the desk to make room for the second set of speakers for the spare rig and so I could have my dual monitor setup back on my main rig.
I ended up using a different HDMI cable than the one I used when I took the photo. That one wasn't long enough to reach my Dell so I ended up using a ridiculously thick HDMI cable that doesn't flex much so every time I pull the TV away from the wall it gets unplugged. I'll have to get a different cable at some point. The wall mount was one that a customer left at work and never came back for and it was going to get thrown away so I took it. The electrical boxes and switch plates were in a box out in the garage so the total (for me) for this part of the project was $0. The height of the TV kind of sucks so I might lower it at some point.