Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Hooking up monitor with android tablet/phone through HDMI-DVI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hooking up monitor with android tablet/phone through HDMI-DVI

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Can anyone with 16:10 monitor try to hook it with an android tablet/phone using (micro)hdmi to dvi cable?
16:9 owner testimonial would also be appreciated, as long as it's Android to monitor using HDMI to DVI..(preferably Dell monitors)

I tried to hook my phone & u2412m via (micro) HDMI to DVI with no success. The monitor went blank for several seconds and then reverting to no signal detected message.
I also have tried hooking the phone with my old HP w1907 (DVI, 16:10). Similar result, no luck. The monitor said something about unsupported input/no HDCP ( both phone and w1907 have HDCP).

The phone however, recognized the HDMI is being connected. It's working fine with my HDTV FWIW. I also has tried different cable,

I've been googling, the only thing I found it's said microhdmi lacks the 5v power source so the DVI couldn't work.
Anyway, I found a video on youtube showng hdmi-dvi on android phone, and it does work! a couple of forum posts also confirm this.

so.. I have a hunch it's something to do with my phone outputting 720p(16:9) and u2412m is 16:10 with no 1:1 pixel mapping (no idea about the w1907).. something to do with unsupported resolution. I guess.

I really want to confirm this. Any comment would be appreciated
Edited by WhizzWr - 4/5/13 at 8:41am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzWr View Post

Can anyone with 16:10 monitor try to hook it with an android tablet/phone using (micro)hdmi to dvi cable?
16:9 owner testimonial would also be appreciated, as long as it's Android to monitor using HDMI to DVI..(preferably Dell monitors)

I tried to hook my phone & u2412m via (micro) HDMI to DVI with no success. The monitor went blank for several seconds and then reverting to no signal detected message.
I also have tried hooking the phone with my old HP w1907 (DVI, 16:10). Similar result, no luck. The monitor said something about unsupported input/no HDCP ( both phone and w1907 have HDCP).

The phone however, recognized the HDMI is being connected. It's working fine with my HDTV FWIW. I also has tried different cable,

I've been googling, the only thing I found it's said microhdmi lacks the 5v power source so the DVI couldn't work.
Anyway, I found a video on youtube showng hdmi-dvi on android phone, and it does work! a couple of forum posts also confirm this.

so.. I have a hunch it's something to do with my phone outputting 720p(16:9) and u2412m is 16:10 with no 1:1 pixel mapping (no idea about the w1907).. something to do with unsupported resolution. I guess.

I really want to confirm this. Any comment would be appreciated
The U2412m does not have a full scalar, so that is probably the issue. You need to be feeding it either 16:10 content, 4:3, or 5:4. It can't take native 16:9 as its scalar doesn't handle it properly.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

The U2412m does not have a full scalar, so that is probably the issue. You need to be feeding it either 16:10 content, 4:3, or 5:4. It can't take native 16:9 as its scalar doesn't handle it properly.

Indeed. Initially I thought so, like I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzWr View Post

u2412m is 16:10 with no 1:1 pixel mapping

however TFTcentraI' review of u2412m does include a picture depicting u2412m with 16:9 input displaying egg-headed picture, so I'm expecting vertically stretched image instead of something blank..

Maybe since the input is coming from a phone, that's simply the case.

That's why I need someone with similar setup to confirm.

Thanks
Edited by WhizzWr - 4/5/13 at 8:59am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzWr View Post

Indeed. Initially I thought so, like I said
however TFTcentraI' review of u2412m does include a picture depicting u2412m with 16:9 input displaying egg-headed picture, so I'm expecting vertically stretched image instead of something blank..

Maybe since the input is coming from a phone, that's simply the case.

That's why I need someone with similar setup to confirm.

Thanks
Was the U2412m being run off a computer? Because a computer often scales the picture in the video card; not the monitor. So the picture you see on the U2412m might be 16:9, but the signal being sent by the computer is actually a 16:10 signal.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Was the U2412m being run off a computer? Because a computer often scales the picture in the video card; not the monitor. So the picture you see on the U2412m might be 16:9, but the signal being sent by the computer is actually a 16:10 signal.


Did you refer to the setup on the review? They don't go into details on what setup they uses, but here you go:
(My bad it's not TFTcentral review, but prad.de)
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part15.html
Quote:
At first glance, the reproduction of the correct aspect ratio is of importance. This is where problems start with the DELL U2412M: As mentioned before in the "interpolation" section, it is not possible to display 16:9 signals undistorted. Since all the relevant resolutions in the video area are fed in 16:9 format, external sources such as DVD and Blu-ray players are inapplicable as source devices - provided you do not want to settle for vertical spread images.
On the left: test video; ideally, the circles should be completely round. Right: a scene from the Blu-ray version of "Fargo" with light eggheads due to distortion.

The popular video formats (576p, 720p, 1080p, 1080i) are detected in progressive playback and are shown distorted.
Since it does mention blue-ray I suppose the source was a bluerayplayer of some sort.

Anyway, my current setup does not involve computer nor blue-ray player. It's an android phone..
Kevin.. what monitor are you using? do you happen to have Android and HDMI-DVI cable smile.gif would appreciate your help if you can test.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzWr View Post

Did you refer to the setup on the review? They don't go into details on what setup they uses, but here you go:
(My bad it's not TFTcentral review, but prad.de)
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part15.html
Since it does mention blue-ray I suppose the source was a bluerayplayer of some sort.

Anyway, my current setup does not involve computer nor blue-ray player. It's an android phone..
Kevin.. what monitor are you using? do you happen to have Android and HDMI-DVI cable smile.gif would appreciate your help if you can test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzWr View Post

Did you refer to the setup on the review? They don't go into details on what setup they uses, but here you go:
(My bad it's not TFTcentral review, but prad.de)
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part15.html
Since it does mention blue-ray I suppose the source was a bluerayplayer of some sort.

Anyway, my current setup does not involve computer nor blue-ray player. It's an android phone..
Kevin.. what monitor are you using? do you happen to have Android and HDMI-DVI cable smile.gif would appreciate your help if you can test.
I do, but it does not have miniHDMI or anything; just Miracast (Nexus 4).

I do not have a U2412m either, so I couldn't test it in any case.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post


I do, but it does not have miniHDMI or anything; just Miracast (Nexus 4).

I do not have a U2412m either, so I couldn't test it in any case.

Nah it's okay. Think I'll just bite the bullet and buy this instead.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-Micro-HDMI-Type-D-Port-Input-VGA-Female-CRT-Projector-Monitor-New-/251028138971?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D6751115302824239632%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D321084313381%26
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Hooking up monitor with android tablet/phone through HDMI-DVI