Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Laptop Mods
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Laptop Mods - Page 2

post #11 of 253
Hmm... while the idea of a separate screen out of an old smartphone would be really awesome, it's really not functional (and I'm a big proponent of functionality... if it has no practical application to the operation of the machine, I don't need it. Appearance mods, of course, do not count).

I was thinking that in the place of the soon-to-be-removed touchpad, I could put in a fingerprint scanner and a pop-up USB hub, though. That could definitely work...
post #12 of 253
It could be practical tho. use it for a tempurature monitor or something. It was just an idea i had that seemed worthy of someone with a name like TheMadProfessor xD Fingerprint scanner isnt something i use, but a pop up USB port would be awesome. More USBs are always good
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nta1 View Post

It could be practical tho. use it for a tempurature monitor or something. It was just an idea i had that seemed worthy of someone with a name like TheMadProfessor xD Fingerprint scanner isnt something i use, but a pop up USB port would be awesome. More USBs are always good

Yeah, but trying to wire a phone into a computer is, for lack of a better phrase, problematic at best for me, as I lack experience in those matters.

Besides, the USB port thing is infinitely more useful, especially considering that laptops are notorious for having a dearth of them, and plugging in a USB hub, while practical, kinda ruins the clean lines of it.
post #14 of 253
well if you wanted to get technical you just pull the + and - 5V lines off a USB port and use that to power your phone, then solder the data pins so you can use it as external storage. heck you could even add in the pop up USB ports beneath it if you wanted. And if you wanted to get really fancy you could make it a cradle rather than an old phone, so your current phone can just dock with your laptop. Then you could use one of the texting from PC apps that exists to use your phone to send messages through your laptop.

Tho a clean functional looking laptop with extra USB ports tucked away untill they spring into view to be used is awesome and most likely far more practical. That said how do you plan to hook up the USB hub?
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 253
This is one of the best threads I have run into in a long time.
Anyone do anything with the ASUS G series?
My Calculator
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Asus G74SW Nvidia GTX 560M 2GB 16GB Samsung Stock 
Hard DriveCoolingOS
500GB + 1TB Samsung's Stock Windows 7 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS  
  hide details  
Reply
My Calculator
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670QM Asus G74SW Nvidia GTX 560M 2GB 16GB Samsung Stock 
Hard DriveCoolingOS
500GB + 1TB Samsung's Stock Windows 7 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS  
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 253
I think those laptops are too pretty to be modded xD For me at least my laptop modding was on a laptop i got dirt cheap because it was dirt cheap.
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nta1 View Post

well if you wanted to get technical you just pull the + and - 5V lines off a USB port and use that to power your phone, then solder the data pins so you can use it as external storage. heck you could even add in the pop up USB ports beneath it if you wanted. And if you wanted to get really fancy you could make it a cradle rather than an old phone, so your current phone can just dock with your laptop. Then you could use one of the texting from PC apps that exists to use your phone to send messages through your laptop.

That's a pretty nifty idea, but that works best on phones like the iPhone, which has a big powerport to help stabilize the phone.

I have a Nokia Lumia 920, which uses a MicroUSB port for power and data transfer (I am a die-hard Windows Phone guy. I don't like the Cult of Apple, and Android's power consumption and tendency towards being a resource hog just disgusts me on multiple levels). Trying to stabilize the phone on such a small connector just lends itself to headaches and heartaches if the connector snaps. Also, when a particular phone manufacturer decides to switch their port adapters, all that modding is suddenly wasted. I am The Mad Professor, not The Stupid Professor.
Quote:
Tho a clean functional looking laptop with extra USB ports tucked away untill they spring into view to be used is awesome and most likely far more practical. That said how do you plan to hook up the USB hub?

I planned to use this particular tutorial, modified for my particular laptop: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hacking-a-USB-hub-to-add-internal-ports-to-a-Toshi/

The reason why I want to use the void space left behind by the removal of the touchpad is because I figure there will be enough room to add them without really crowding everything else (more than usual, anyway).
post #18 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post


- SNIP -
That's a pretty nifty idea, but that works best on phones like the iPhone, which has a big powerport to help stabilize the phone.

I have a Nokia Lumia 920, which uses a MicroUSB port for power and data transfer (I am a die-hard Windows Phone guy. I don't like the Cult of Apple, and Android's power consumption and tendency towards being a resource hog just disgusts me on multiple levels). Trying to stabilize the phone on such a small connector just lends itself to headaches and heartaches if the connector snaps. Also, when a particular phone manufacturer decides to switch their port adapters, all that modding is suddenly wasted. I am The Mad Professor, not The Stupid Professor.

- SNIP -
I planned to use this particular tutorial, modified for my particular laptop: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hacking-a-USB-hub-to-add-internal-ports-to-a-Toshi/

The reason why I want to use the void space left behind by the removal of the touchpad is because I figure there will be enough room to add them without really crowding everything else (more than usual, anyway).

I was thinking an actual cradle with a locking mechanism, more like a car mount than an ipod dock. Not overly well expressed, my fault. The phone would be locked in and then the plug would just be a plug, not a structural mount of any kind. And most phones run off a standard cable (Micro USB these days) so you just open up the laptop and swap out the end that goes into the phone should you get one that doesn't have a standard port.

Looks like a good guide, just watch where your solder goes. Adding internal ports isnt complex, but finding room to house the new ports is the biggest problem. Given a nice big space like where the touchpad used to be makes that a cakewalk. Do you plan to have it sit flush to the palm rest and pop up when needed? because that would be more complicated but cooler.
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Former Main Rig
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nta1 View Post

I was thinking an actual cradle with a locking mechanism, more like a car mount than an ipod dock. Not overly well expressed, my fault. The phone would be locked in and then the plug would just be a plug, not a structural mount of any kind. And most phones run off a standard cable (Micro USB these days) so you just open up the laptop and swap out the end that goes into the phone should you get one that doesn't have a standard port.

Ah... gotcha...

And now you have me thinking about it... JERK!!! tongue.gif
Quote:
Looks like a good guide, just watch where your solder goes. Adding internal ports isnt complex, but finding room to house the new ports is the biggest problem. Given a nice big space like where the touchpad used to be makes that a cakewalk. Do you plan to have it sit flush to the palm rest and pop up when needed? because that would be more complicated but cooler.

That was my exact plan.

I figure a 2x2 bank would be ideal, that way I can wire one set of two to be non-powered and the other set to be powered, should I decide to go that route. I probably won't, but it's always an option.

The plan for how they conceal would likely be a pair of spring loaded "doors" under which will be mounted the ports. A pivot point will be on the long edge behind the ports and the "doors" would be held closed by small push latches (y'know, those "push to close and push to open" latches).
post #20 of 253
copy and pasted.

Was bored so I thought I'd post up my laptop. Figured it might be a nice change from buying/upgrading advice threads?

Sorry for the bad picture.
















I could afford a 1k+ laptop but, I couldn't afford all the money up front but, i bought an almost decent laptop, an Acer 5920G with a, T5250/2gb DDR2 800/8600m GT/no HDD. Then when i got some money i installed a WesternDigital "WD10JPVT" 5400 RPM 1Tb hdd and windows 7, then got a 4GB stick of DDR2 800 bumping me up to 5gb. I then got an HD4670 DDR2 which ran at 90-110c then I side graded to an Nvidia GT 240m DDR3 and finally a T9300 and AR9380 wifi card.

When I upgraded my CPU I did a PPL mod and over clocked the T9300 from 2.5ghz at 800mhz FSB to 2.95ghz @ 947mhz FSB, my ram went from 667 (chipset limitation) to around 700mhz. I also did some cooling mods, which apparently helped. biggrin.gif

EDIT: my GT 240m is overclocked too biggrin.gif coreclock:550 @ 673 MHz | memoryclock: 800 @ 1003 MHz


I'm pretty happy with those temps. This is under some casual use and gaming. Gpu under furmark hit 85C after about an hour or so.

Well since i couldn't afford one i built one as i could afford/find the parts. biggrin.gif All i could really do now is a 1-2TB drive/SSD, a battery and or Better screen with higher Res, a friend with the same laptop installed 1440x900 screen with better image quality.

So far I can play games like, dirt 2, mafia 2, BatMan AA, BatMan AC at medium/high-high at a good 40-50 fps.
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Laptop Mods