Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Strange Graphical Issues in Ubuntu 12.04
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Strange Graphical Issues in Ubuntu 12.04

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I've posted on the official Ubuntu forums but no one has replied. Perhaps someone here can identify what's going on. I really don't know much about Ubuntu.

Intel(R) IPP JPEG encoder 7.0.1041 - Jul 19 2011;
Intel(R) IPP JPEG encoder 7.0.1041 - Jul 19 2011;

I have an actual screenshot, but I'll have to find where I saved it...

This is the laptop that I installed it on: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5114941
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
Are you using Nouveau or official drivers or have you tried starting with nomodeset?
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Are you using Nouveau or official drivers or have you tried starting with nomodeset?

Explain what that is. I have no knowledge of Ubuntu/Linux. How would I check which drivers I'm using?
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontney View Post

Explain what that is. I have no knowledge of Ubuntu/Linux. How would I check which drivers I'm using?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=which+linux+graphics+driver+am+i+running
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Rude. Obviously I know what Google is. Why else would I come here?

And I was referring to "Nouveau" and "nomodeset". Clearly I can Google it... but I'd rather ask here since, well, that's the point of this section existing (if every person directed a user to Google, there wouldn't exist a place that contains this information).
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontney View Post

Rude. Obviously I know what Google is. Why else would I come here?

And I was referring to "Nouveau" and "nomodeset". Clearly I can Google it... but I'd rather ask here since, well, that's the point of this section existing (if every person directed a user to Google, there wouldn't exist a place that contains this information).

It's impolite to ask questions before doing any sort of research yourself, especially a Google search as simple as that one. Most of humanity's combined knowledge is available on the internet already. Why should someone answer a question that has already been asked and answered hundreds of times before? Google nomodeset and see how many search results come back telling you exactly what one of the Linux guys around here would tell you.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I would love to help you solve your issue. You just shouldn't expect to have your hand held through the entire process, as Linux is a well-documented environment that encourages users to learn as much as possible about the system to properly administer it.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post

It's impolite to ask questions before doing any sort of research yourself, especially a Google search as simple as that one. Most of humanity's combined knowledge is available on the internet already. Why should someone answer a question that has already been asked and answered hundreds of times before? Google nomodeset and see how many search results come back telling you exactly what one of the Linux guys around here would tell you.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I would love to help you solve your issue. You just shouldn't expect to have your hand held through the entire process, as Linux is a well-documented environment that encourages users to learn as much as possible about the system to properly administer it.

Can't imagine what to call my issue. Tried searching "Strange Graphical Issues in Ubuntu 12.04" and related. Nothing came up exactly what I needed hence I asked. First post mentioned drivers and such so I figured I'd ask rather than Google expecting he'd reply. Hell, all I ever do is Google and peruse forums. Well, he didn't. I eventually forgot about this post and moved on. It's not that I'm incapable of Googling about drivers, I just didn't consider getting Ubuntu to run on this laptop high priority. Besides, it's basically impossible to do anything on the laptop. Sometimes it won't boot. Sometimes it'll boot but prevent me from doing anything after login (the strange, bizarre graphics). Occasionally I can maneuver with the strange graphics just fine.
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
If you still want to make your laptop usable, try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post

If you still want to make your laptop usable, try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

I like the quote in your sig, btw.

I'll try it out when I get the chance.
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xenon Triple Core 3.2 GHz Trinity (Valhalla) ATI Xenos 512 MB GDDR3 @ 700 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
250 GB Lite-On DG-16D4S Antec 80mm Tri-Cool SilentX 60mm 
MonitorKeyboardAudio
ASUS VH236 23" 1080p 2ms Generic USB Logitech Keyboard Astro A50 Wireless Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Strange Graphical Issues in Ubuntu 12.04