Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club - Page 1026

post #10251 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboner1 View Post

Well i'm pretty sure that windows loads the icc profile and not any other program, i'm just saying you will notice it has loaded in MCW by the change in the curve which you will be aware of as you have obviously used it before. Personally i have a spyder elite and that loads the profile for me at start up and i just use mcw to force it cos like you said in some games it gets disabled, but i know that windows loads it if you put the icc profile where i said and make sure it's added in color management.

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-color-manager/stable/color-import-windows.html.en

Basically says what i said earlier under windows 7. All that's left then is to name it and save it in mcw then make sure you click force persistent profile and load it in mcw. That will force it on for any games that try and change it.

right. except it doesn't. if i go by your system specs, then i can assume you have an ATI card, which explains why you say it works. it works for ATI cards, because the driver properly forces the ICC profile, in which case you don't even need MCW, just install the desired ICC profile and let the driver do the work.

in my case (Gigabyte GTX680) and all other nvidia cases for that matter, the driver doesn't do this and no tool will reliably help you. see this thread.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/501853/nvidia-forever-ignoring-custom-color-profile-support-in-full-screen-games-collaboration-thread-/

please take your time and read at least through the OP. this is a nvidia specific problem and this is why i was asking for confirmation from ATI users if this works without problems, as i am deciding whether i should go red or green with my next card smile.gif

edit: as a matter of fact, the same topic was posted here smile.gif
http://www.overclock.net/t/1107875/nvidia-forever-ignoring-custom-color-profile-support-in-full-screen-games
Edited by skuko - 12/4/13 at 1:20am
post #10252 of 25891
Hey all please could someone advise me on the best Korean 1440p monitor available in the uk? Ive been on ebay and noticed that there are quite a few ive decided to go with the glossy though as I live in a man cave so there shouldn't be no light issues. Honestly though I am nervous about buying just hope I dont get a crap one or something so just looking for the best and should I buy direct or ebay? Thanks
post #10253 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuko View Post

right. except it doesn't. if i go by your system specs, then i can assume you have an ATI card, which explains why you say it works. it works for ATI cards, because the driver properly forces the ICC profile, in which case you don't even need MCW, just install the desired ICC profile and let the driver do the work.

in my case (Gigabyte GTX680) and all other nvidia cases for that matter, the driver doesn't do this and no tool will reliably help you. see this thread.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/501853/nvidia-forever-ignoring-custom-color-profile-support-in-full-screen-games-collaboration-thread-/

please take your time and read at least through the OP. this is a nvidia specific problem and this is why i was asking for confirmation from ATI users if this works without problems, as i am deciding whether i should go red or green with my next card smile.gif

edit: as a matter of fact, the same topic was posted here smile.gif
http://www.overclock.net/t/1107875/nvidia-forever-ignoring-custom-color-profile-support-in-full-screen-games


I'm not 100% certain but i think i used ICC profiles with a 670 i had.

I thought you were able to load the profile and it worked in windowed mode but had trouble KEEPING icc profiles active in full screen?? If so mcw should fix that.

That thread on OCN about mcw saying it only works for very few games is incorrect i believe. In my time using it i have only seen 1 game that reverts back to defaults and that is need for speed most wanted. Rage also tries to but mcw overrides it. I really do believe it should work with nvidia cards if you place the icc profile correctly and add it in windows properly and then name and save it in mcw and force persistent profile. and finaly load it. Please let me know if it works once you have tried it.
Edited by mboner1 - 12/4/13 at 1:40am
I'm back baby!!!
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus sabertooth z97 mark 2 sapphire tri x r9 290 corsair ripjaws x 1600 (16gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
samsung evo 120gb ssd seagate 1tb hdd 1tb external hdd seagate 2tb hdd 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung cd drive coolermaster vortex plus windows 7 ultimate Sony W800B (50 inch) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance k65 Corsair rm1000 Fractal Design node 605 Razer Naga left hand edition 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer kabuto creative gigaworks t40 series ii logitech g930 wireless headset Logitech wireless touchpad 
Other
Vantec 310S3 Hard drive enclosure x2 
  hide details  
Reply
I'm back baby!!!
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus sabertooth z97 mark 2 sapphire tri x r9 290 corsair ripjaws x 1600 (16gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
samsung evo 120gb ssd seagate 1tb hdd 1tb external hdd seagate 2tb hdd 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung cd drive coolermaster vortex plus windows 7 ultimate Sony W800B (50 inch) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance k65 Corsair rm1000 Fractal Design node 605 Razer Naga left hand edition 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer kabuto creative gigaworks t40 series ii logitech g930 wireless headset Logitech wireless touchpad 
Other
Vantec 310S3 Hard drive enclosure x2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10254 of 25891
It's arrived smile.gif

Zero dead pixels according to the sticker but I've yet to test it, trying to find a computer at work with a DVI input. No transit damage, looks great.


New Build
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-4930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.215v Asus Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133 9-10-10-24, 2T 2x Corsair GS 120gb SSD Windows 8 QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll @ 120hz 
PowerCase
Seasonic 1250W Corsair Vengeance C70 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-4930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.215v Asus Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133 9-10-10-24, 2T 2x Corsair GS 120gb SSD Windows 8 QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll @ 120hz 
PowerCase
Seasonic 1250W Corsair Vengeance C70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10255 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboner1 View Post

I'm not 100% certain but i think i used ICC profiles with a 670 i had.

I thought you were able to load the profile and it worked in windowed mode but had trouble KEEPING icc profiles active in full screen?? If so mcw should fix that.

That thread on OCN about mcw saying it only works for very few games is incorrect i believe. In my time using it i have only seen 1 game that reverts back to defaults and that is need for speed most wanted. Rage also tries to but mcw overrides it. I really do believe it should work with nvidia cards if you place the icc profile correctly and add it in windows properly and then name and save it in mcw and force persistent profile. and finaly load it. Please let me know if it works once you have tried it.

it's not been working with your 670 and here's why:
Quote:
1) Direct Hardware-level force (ATI ONLY) If you are an ATI user, there is a very easy fix for this. Use PowerStrip, load up the color profile, and enable the setting "Write directly to palette DAC". This setting under PowerStrip allows it to bypass the driver/OS altogether and write directly to the hardware. An effective method to force calibrated colors in fullscreen games. However, Nvidia has locked out this ability. EnTech, the developer behind PowerStrip explains:
Quote:
Quote:
Write directly to palette DAC" is an EnTech expression that predates NVidia, and essentially refers to going around the OS and the display driver, and writing directly to the hardware. NVidia does not approve of this method, and starting with the Geforce8 no longer shares hardware register data with EnTech.

MCW method on nvidia cards only works for a few games and most of them are openGL (including RAGE, which you mentioned). however, the vast majority of games are direct3d, a.k.a. DX and this method does not work with most of them. i mentioned planetside 2 and guildwars 2, which i tested yesterday.

official response from nvidia does not give any reason to be optimistic about a proper fix to this issue.
Quote:
This problem can be universally fixed for all software if the problem was addressed on the driver/video level. Unfortunately, Nvidia has been shrugging the problem off as if it is not a big deal:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia
Thank you for the update and I apologize for the confusion.

After the doing further research, I found that NVIDIA does not control or have any function to control the color settings while playing games in full screen mode. Since, these features are application specific it is controlled via the applications. Therefore, please use the games setup if applicable.

all of the above leads me to the recommendation not to buy korean screens if you are an avid nvidia fan, as they cannot be calibrated on a hardware level and there's no way to force the software calibration in fullscreen games.

i am kinda puzzled by the fact that people aren't screaming in rage about this smile.gif the foremost reason for buying these screens if the fact that you get the best of both worlds, right? 120Hz and accurate colors (well, not so accurate in case of nvidia users).....
Edited by skuko - 12/4/13 at 1:55am
post #10256 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuko View Post

it's not been working with your 670 and here's why:
MCW method on nvidia cards only works for a few games and most of them are openGL (including RAGE, which you mentioned). however, the vast majority of games are direct3d, a.k.a. DX and this method does not work with most of them. i mentioned planetside 2 and guildwars 2, which i tested yesterday.

official response from nvidia does not give any reason to be optimistic about a proper fix to this issue.
all of the above leads me to the recommendation not to buy korean screens if you are an avid nvidia fan, as they cannot be calibrated on a hardware level and there's no way to force the software calibration in fullscreen games.

i am kinda puzzled by the fact that people aren't screaming in rage about this smile.gif the foremost reason for buying these screens if the fact that you get the best of both worlds, right? 120Hz and accurate colors (well, not so accurate in case of nvidia users).....


Well i would have expected more noise from nvidia users about it as well if it weren't working. Have you tried it yourself the way i said?
I'm back baby!!!
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus sabertooth z97 mark 2 sapphire tri x r9 290 corsair ripjaws x 1600 (16gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
samsung evo 120gb ssd seagate 1tb hdd 1tb external hdd seagate 2tb hdd 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung cd drive coolermaster vortex plus windows 7 ultimate Sony W800B (50 inch) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance k65 Corsair rm1000 Fractal Design node 605 Razer Naga left hand edition 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer kabuto creative gigaworks t40 series ii logitech g930 wireless headset Logitech wireless touchpad 
Other
Vantec 310S3 Hard drive enclosure x2 
  hide details  
Reply
I'm back baby!!!
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus sabertooth z97 mark 2 sapphire tri x r9 290 corsair ripjaws x 1600 (16gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
samsung evo 120gb ssd seagate 1tb hdd 1tb external hdd seagate 2tb hdd 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung cd drive coolermaster vortex plus windows 7 ultimate Sony W800B (50 inch) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance k65 Corsair rm1000 Fractal Design node 605 Razer Naga left hand edition 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer kabuto creative gigaworks t40 series ii logitech g930 wireless headset Logitech wireless touchpad 
Other
Vantec 310S3 Hard drive enclosure x2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10257 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboner1 View Post

Well i would have expected more noise from nvidia users about it as well if it weren't working. Have you tried it yourself the way i said?

i would have too. no i haven't tested it the way you said yet, i'm at work still, doing my research into the issue smile.gif

i have however used and calibrated the screen with MCW in the past week and have been using a persistent profile created by MCW itself, sadly to no avail. i'm quite confident that i have used it correctly and it leads me to think that what you suggested will not work either, but i will give it a try later, it's only a couple of minutes, after all.

my guess is that nvidia users aren't up in arms about this for several reasons.

1.) they have zero idea about proper colors and they don't care (i.e. using TN panel monitors for gaming).
2.) they use screens with HW color options (i.e. monitors with OSD, which alleviates the problem - i can say i haven't been awre of this issue as up until a short time ago, i have been using exclusively DELL monitors with OSD and all that shebang and i haven't even used ICC profiles, i just set the colors up with the monitor OSD and i guess the majority of users do it like that as well)


so i guess it's either lack of knowledge or ignorance, or both (at least i didn't care up until now) smile.gif
Edited by skuko - 12/4/13 at 2:38am
post #10258 of 25891
Hi guys,I wanted ask what additional fees someone has to pay,if he order the Qnix to come in UK?? Which delivery service would be the best to choose so that to pay the minimum amount of additional fees or taxes,for the monitor monitor to arrive at UK? Sorry for my english.
post #10259 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post

Hi guys,I wanted ask what additional fees someone has to pay,if he order the Qnix to come in UK?? Which delivery service would be the best to choose so that to pay the minimum amount of additional fees or taxes,for the monitor monitor to arrive at UK? Sorry for my english.

Depends on which Ebay seller you chose I reckon...I went with Excellentcastle and he charged me 10 pounds shipping which is a good deal and it got here fairly quick.
New Build
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-4930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.215v Asus Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133 9-10-10-24, 2T 2x Corsair GS 120gb SSD Windows 8 QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll @ 120hz 
PowerCase
Seasonic 1250W Corsair Vengeance C70 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-4930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.215v Asus Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133 9-10-10-24, 2T 2x Corsair GS 120gb SSD Windows 8 QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll @ 120hz 
PowerCase
Seasonic 1250W Corsair Vengeance C70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10260 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post

Hi guys,I wanted ask what additional fees someone has to pay,if he order the Qnix to come in UK?? Which delivery service would be the best to choose so that to pay the minimum amount of additional fees or taxes,for the monitor monitor to arrive at UK? Sorry for my english.

mate, tell me why do you want somebody else to do your research? take this up with UK postal service and customs or whatever delivery service the seller offers. right?

i live in slovakia, so i had to figure out my import fees and alo how to screw around the system for myself, who would help me do that? just do your research before ordering thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club