Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club - Page 1145

post #11441 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan F8 View Post

Unless your doing professional graphics of some sort or use your computer for color determinant work then there is no reason to go buy a 60-400 dollar color calibrator. Yes it will be off but if you calibrate by your "eye" then it is your preference. If your not doing anything that needs to be 100% accurate who cares.

I have a spyder calibrator and yes there was an increase in accuracy when using it over the manual calibration. But for everyday use and gaming it is not worth it.
60-400 is a very wide range. I'm sure 80 is good for those who just want a casual calibration. It is definitely worth it for me and mostly the owners of the ~19 devices for whom I have calibrated their displays. For gaming it's made a difference as well. I used to really like how the grass looked in BF3 when the calibration profile was enabled. It looked fantastic. Eye calibration is never accurate, it's easily shown to introduce more trouble than it's worth. What looks good to you today might not look good to you the next day, as what the eye "sees" will vary based on the condition you are in.

When you've splashed out on a 300+ monitor, and GPUs worth way more than that to drive 1440p 120Hz, and a computer that will ensure suitable operation for everything, $80 is a paltry sum to be paid to ensure all your refresh rates look about as accurate as each other and all your monitors look almost the same, which will be impossible to do by eye already.

But I'm sure you already know that as you have a colorimeter yourself.
Edited by yasamoka - 12/20/13 at 5:57pm
post #11442 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasamoka View Post

Hoo boy. <--- Biggest issue right here

How exactly are you calibrating your monitors, by eye? At 120Hz? Well, good luck. Because the gamma shift is not really a gamma shift equally at all points but rather one that requires multi-point gamma calibration, aka like the vast majority of gamma errors.

Huge efforts are made to color-match produced content on hugely expensive monitors like NECs, Eizos, HP, Dells, etc... so that the content displays the colors the creator of such content wants you to see and you blow it all by moving a slider that you think fixes something and messes up pretty much everything else. You'll be getting an inaccurate whitepoint, inaccurate gamma, inaccurate grayscale, inaccurate colors, banding, etc... the works. While you think that "looks good", it doesn't. You'll know what looks good when you take a look at a calibrated monitor.

The Qnix drifts, it drifts colors rapidly when it is overclocked; one user here reported that he had to recalibrate once every month @60Hz, once every week or so @ 120Hz IIRC. I've been noticing my gamma being off since the first time I made a profile and set it to work, which used to give me almost perfect results (gamma ~2.19-2.21 IIRC) rather than the nasty 2.64 @ 96Hz and something like 2.93 @ 110Hz which is poo. You won't use the colorimeter once, you'll be using it regularly, and to complain about $90-130 (the Spyder4Express costs $80 now btw...) is not too logical...you have 3 Titans, 3 Qnixes going back and forth, and the seller is pretty much paying that sort of money for return shipping.

Customer satisfaction all the way, but Anal Customer Disorder is another thing entirely, especially when you're blowing all that effort by calibrating "by eye" and messing up the colors that you so much desired to get matched. These sellers are nice, but it's actions like these that lock down return policies and make them more suspicious of us. I don't remember a seller asking a customer to show them the dead pixel they got with a perfect pixel policy, but now accessorieswhole did when I told them I have a blue stuck pixel left of center. It's their right to ask for proof but obviously they have lost that customer - seller trust that used to exist just a while ago.

Save yourself the hassle, listen to proper advice, and go for a colorimeter so that you get your gamma accurate, your whites accurate, and your colors fantastic. I mean, I have a single monitor and having accurate colors is very very important, especially at 110Hz where the high gamma induces some sort of black crush (as mboner up there used to say, which is true) which makes sense as now the lower end of the grayscale is closer together when gamma > standard gamma = 2.2 (and the opposite is true, upper end grays are mashed when gamma < 2.2 which happens when you raise the gamma slider).

You have 3 monitors. A colorimeter itself has trouble matching these monitors due to variance, let alone being able to match them by eye.

For the second point, applying color profiles works when using MCW, Color Profile Keeper, or Color Clutch. No idea if some people simply don't have any way to enforce color profiles with Nvidia, but for other it works and that means there's a chance of PEBKAC and / or certain drivers messing up, a problem which I wouldn't bet on lasting forever if anything. I myself am in the process of making a color profile tool (no details now) using Color Clutch to preserve the color profiles in 3D application mode so if Color Clutch works for you (you need to test, if it works for you then there's no reason to worry about the color profiles not working in games. Obviously), there you go.

There's no "washed out", it's simply the case that some panels have yellow tints, others have blue tints. It's perfectly normal and would easily happen with other branded monitors. Heck, the Catleaps / Crossovers and the IPS variants have more variance than these PLS panels, you would have had a heart attack if you were going for the IPS variants.[/spoiler]

Seems like there's a big misunderstanding and you're explaining your side of the story all of a sudden.

1) It's not an issue w/ overclock, nor did I say I was, I stated I was @ the default 60hz, but apparently you're jumping over and reading key words.
2) It's a BIG issue w/ one color being offset, maybe more.
3) I have 2 monitors that are perfect as is out of box not needing calibration
4) This is the 2nd one just a diff color off
5) I'm aware this happens especially w/ these being panels that don't make it to real production
6) Yes Colors can be washed out, stating that's not possible is ending the conversation stating you're arguing to argue, some panels have it others don't IT HAPPENS.
7) Again I'm not buying a device for a 1 time use, if its defective for one then there's no reason to resell it why give someone else the same grief? Srsly?
7) Ask questions first before you start assuming a huge story and starting drama in the thread, the last person that did it trolled on for 3 pages getting everyone riled up over a misunderstanding because they read TOO fast, which you're demonstrating by ignoring my previous posts.

You can preach all you want and you're MOST welcome to keep w/e defective panel you get and make the best of it, but I on the other hand will at least make sure I get one I can work with. You've no idea what I'm doing or trying, but you just wrote all that out of anger because you "assumed" I guarantee if you had a monitor with awful tint or washed colors you wouldn't sit there and calibrate it to match your others and be like" I feel bad for the seller so I'll just forfeit the buying experience and keep it"

This thread doesn't need drama or flame posts, it's for people to post their success or failures and reattempts as they love this monitor...jesus

Calm down and ask next time, I didn't bother reading all of it after the first few paragraphs and especially after the name calling and flaming. Good day sir, hope you feel better.
Edited by LunaP - 12/20/13 at 6:18pm
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11443 of 25891
My, you're dense.

Once you start overclocking these monitors, you'll run into further issues with keeping the colors matching and looking good.

Suit yourself, I'm out.
post #11444 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasamoka View Post

My, you're dense.

Once you start overclocking these monitors, you'll run into further issues with keeping the colors matching and looking good.

Suit yourself, I'm out.

And apparently you can't read, or fail to communicate , if this convo was meant to be one sided just say it, nothing wrong w/ being wrong, my point is not to call you out, it's to settle you down to keep you from getting riled up and jumping to conclusions before reading. People who believe they know everything are really bad at being responded to and don't expect people to respond with anything other than "sorry or ok thx"

Again you've no clue what I've done or did, I have settings for the monitors @ 96 and 110hz they look beautiful. But you didn't read that either, you're to damn busy being defensive, so go cool off then come back. Apology accepted. Have a GREAT day thumb.gif
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11445 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post

And apparently you can't read, or fail to communicate , if this convo was meant to be one sided just say it, nothing wrong w/ being wrong, my point is not to call you out, it's to settle you down to keep you from getting riled up and jumping to conclusions before reading.

Again you've no clue what I've done or did, I have settings for the monitors @ 96 and 110hz they look beautiful. But you didn't read that either, you're to damn busy being defensive, so go cool off then come back. Apology accepted. Have a GREAT day thumb.gif
Oh I can read, I bet you. I also know what I'm doing.

But calling two monitors "perfect" and another one "washed-out" explains clearly that you understand how these things work. Because one will have a much smaller color gamut than the others, right? And there's no more need for calibration since they're perfect.

I don't have to read everything you say to give my opinion. My opinion still applies no matter what you have done, did, or will do.
post #11446 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasamoka View Post

Oh I can read, I bet you. I also know what I'm doing.

But calling two monitors "perfect" and another one "washed-out" explains clearly that you understand how these things work. Because one will have a much smaller color gamut than the others, right? And there's no more need for calibration since they're perfect.

I don't have to read everything you say to give my opinion. My opinion still applies no matter what you have done, did, or will do.

rolleyes.gif All I'm reading is troll and I thought you were out. You're not giving your opinion you're stating it like you have facts and you're flaming and name calling which shows you're angry, which goes back to the original statement. Thank you for proving my point that you're not reading, this is the entire reason why you're angry because you're failing to do the simple part.

Assuming I don't know anything is great, keep that mentality up and see where it gets you in life. Apparently YOU don't know what you're talking about because apparently you don't have any issues whatsoever, so everyone should just keep anything failed that they have. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing, I've never seen a person so dense.

Apparently working w/ professional displays and in the art industry as well and dealing w/ electronics and MULTIPLE monitors at a time, including those at work and other places gives me NO room to state whether something is washed out or not. I think you need to start educating yourself.
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11447 of 25891
take this little argument to a PM chat
post #11448 of 25891
Someone wanna give me an icc profile for 120hz? Thanks!
post #11449 of 25891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan F8 View Post

take this little argument to a PM chat

I asked him too but he refutes so w/e I added him to the ignore list. No point in fueling his flaming.
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Sylphiel
(20 items)
 
Yuna
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gigabyte X58A-UD3R eVGA GTX TITAN Corsair 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair  Corsair SSD Samsung BluRay R/W Corsair H90 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate HP w2338h HP w2338h HP w2338h 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2338h Samsung 46" TV ROCCAT Antex 1200W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cosmos Corsair m95 ALLSOP Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11450 of 25891
Anywhere I can order a normal glossy from? I have one that is glossy without the tempered glass, not sure how big the difference would be if they sit next to each other. Also anyone knows if there would be any issues using 2 of these at 120hz with a GTX 760(ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5)?

Weird thing is, I was only able to have a stable 115hz with a PowerColor HD 7950 but with the GTX 760, 120hz is running fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club