Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club - Page 2345

post #23441 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceAir View Post

Also ask a friend so you can test on his machine. i had green dots on my Qnix once but when connecting to a normal 1080p display it was working fine. I ended up getting my graphics card swapped and it worked just fine. So It could be that the gpu can't handle that type of load over DVI.

I forgot this part of your response. +rep for you. Seems to be the case which is silly considering such a "powerful card" isn't even able to push 1440p through it's only DVI port. Works 1080p great through the same cable. So either I have to pay more for an active dp to dvi adapter or send it back and get another 980 that either lists and actual dvi-d port. (evga editions seem to be the only one and I believe a Gigabyte has one as well.)

Though if I go that route I may just wait until the 300 series come out or 980ti to see where the pricing and performance stand. Only reason I didn't do that to begin with is it's hard to pass up any 980 for $400 much less one that sells for over $600 new even now.
post #23442 of 25940
i give up messing with triple monitor resolutions.i have tried searching online but cant seem to find the solution i actually need....ok,so im attempting triple screens with 2x gtx 580 sli.i kno it isnt enuff.But i would like to set custom resolution so that it can be 1080p instead of 1440 and it just gives me option of 7580(i believe) x 1440p and 4880 x 900p but no 1080p option.....i even tried setting all 3 displays indivually to 1080p. frown.gif
post #23443 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bonez View Post

i give up messing with triple monitor resolutions.i have tried searching online but cant seem to find the solution i actually need....ok,so im attempting triple screens with 2x gtx 580 sli.i kno it isnt enuff.But i would like to set custom resolution so that it can be 1080p instead of 1440 and it just gives me option of 7580(i believe) x 1440p and 4880 x 900p but no 1080p option.....i even tried setting all 3 displays indivually to 1080p. frown.gif

Here's my rig and I can play most games at the highest settings, but others need lower settings. The amount of VRAM is very important at a res of 7680x1440. I would say for a minimum 4GB per card. I'm not a big multiplayer fan, so FPS is not all that important to me. If I can play without lag, tearing and stutter, I'm happy. Newer games I've got are Far Cry 4, Dying Light and GTAV which are not a problem for the system.

Benchmark of Metro LL Redux with 3 passes of scene 1 using these settings:

Res: 7680x1440
Quality: High
SSAA: Off
Texture Filtering: AF 4x
Motion Blur: Off
Tesselatilon: Normal
VSync: Off
Adnvanced PhysX: On

Average Framerate: 33.00
Max. Framerate: 124.36
Min. Framerate: 13.24

The settings above are the ones I use in game. Play is very smooth with no tearing or hesitation.

Motherboard : ASRock Z77 OC Formula
CPU : Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz overclocked to 3.8Ghz

GPU :GeForce GTX 670 EVGA FTW+ 4GB Edition SLI (x2)

RAM : CORSAIR Vengeance 16 GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Monitor : QNIX QX2710 27Inch (x3) overclocked to 75hz
Screen Res* : 7680x1440
OS Boot SSD Drive : Intel SSDSC2CT240A3K5 240GB
2nd Drive : Western Digital - WD1002FAEX 1TB (Game files hard drive)
Operating System : Win 7 Pro 64bit
Direct X : DX11.1
Case : Rosewill Thor V2-W
PSU : Corsair HX850 850W
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Computer Speakers
Headset : Astro A40 Audio System
Keyboard : SteelSeries Merc Stealth
Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Edited by QuickFix - 5/16/15 at 10:03pm
post #23444 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickFix View Post

Here's my rig and I can play most games at the highest settings, but others need lower settings. The amount of VRAM is very important at a res of 7680x1440. I would say for a minimum 4GB per card. I'm not a big multiplayer fan, so FPS is not all that important to me. If I can play without lag, tearing and stutter, I'm happy. Newer games I've got are Far Cry 4, Dying Light and GTAV which are not a problem for the system.

Benchmark of Metro LL Redux with 3 passes of scene 1 using these settings:

Res: 7680x1440
Quality: High
SSAA: Off
Texture Filtering: AF 4x
Motion Blur: Off
Tesselatilon: Normal
VSync: Off
Adnvanced PhysX: On

Average Framerate: 33.00
Max. Framerate: 124.36
Min. Framerate: 13.24

The settings above are the ones I use in game. Play is very smooth with no tearing or hesitation.

Motherboard : ASRock Z77 OC Formula
CPU : Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz overclocked to 3.8Ghz

GPU :GeForce GTX 670 EVGA FTW+ 4GB Edition SLI (x2)

RAM : CORSAIR Vengeance 16 GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Monitor : QNIX QX2710 27Inch (x3) overclocked to 75hz
Screen Res* : 7680x1440
OS Boot SSD Drive : Intel SSDSC2CT240A3K5 240GB
2nd Drive : Western Digital - WD1002FAEX 1TB (Game files hard drive)
Operating System : Win 7 Pro 64bit
Direct X : DX11.1
Case : Rosewill Thor V2-W
PSU : Corsair HX850 850W
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Computer Speakers
Headset : Astro A40 Audio System
Keyboard : SteelSeries Merc Stealth
Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Core
THANKS for the shed of light. but i must say and not in a harsh way,but there is NO way you are maxing out games with that resolution with 4gb GTX 670s SLI. NOOOOO WAYYYYY! if that. I have 2x GTX 580 with 1.5gb Vram and i know thats my drawback. That is exactly why i am trying to find out a way to do 1080p across all monitors but it doesnt give me that option. once in surround,it doesnt even let me do a custom resolution. i cannot play @ 1440p with these cards. Once i get my new card(s) i wouldnt mind tbh.
post #23445 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bonez View Post

THANKS for the shed of light. but i must say and not in a harsh way,but there is NO way you are maxing out games with that resolution with 4gb GTX 670s SLI. NOOOOO WAYYYYY! if that. I have 2x GTX 580 with 1.5gb Vram and i know thats my drawback. That is exactly why i am trying to find out a way to do 1080p across all monitors but it doesnt give me that option. once in surround,it doesnt even let me do a custom resolution. i cannot play @ 1440p with these cards. Once i get my new card(s) i wouldnt mind tbh.

I posted my system game performance as a service to you and others that you don't need twin Titans or more to run 7680x1440. I've been building my own systems for over 20 years, so I'm not unfamiliar with this stuff. Here's my settings in some recent games all running fullscreen:

Far Cry 4 - 7680x1440 - Ultra

Dying Light 2560x1440 - Medium

GTA V - 7680x1440 - FXAA on, MSAA x2, NVida TXAA on, Vsync off, Video Ram 8140/8190m, Long Shadows on, High Res Shadows on, High Detail while flying on.

Wolfenstein - The Old Blood - 7680x1440 - Medium

When you research each game you find out which settings yield the best bang for the FPS buck. Some don't offer much graphics improvement and are merely a performance hit. I don't usually rely on Geforce Experience to set my settings because my goal is more graphics quality than FPS.

I admit that your cards are definitely under powered for 7680x14440 with mine being fairly close to the minimum. With the performance increase in games predicted with Windows 10/DX12, I'm hoping to get a couple more years out of my rig. I just wish, I would have paid the extra hundred to get a 3770K instead of the 3570k, since DX12 is apparently going to use HT in games for even more performance.
Edited by QuickFix - 5/17/15 at 10:43am
post #23446 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCarnagex View Post

Good news...........it isn't the monitor that's the issue.

Bad news...........it's probably my video card. The monitor is beautiful picture wise on my friend's computer that has a 970. I haven't noticed any dead pixels yet but he's also been playing on it this whole time. Lol.

I bought my 980 about 2 weeks ago used from Amazon and I'm thinking that maybe it was returned for a reason other than someone not liking it. It also froze a LoL game earlier on my u2412m and it was the only monitor hooked but hasn't had a hiccup the last few hours and we've tried multiple games.

Drivers are up to date. I may do a wipe and install on those. Any other ideas of what could be the cause?

Edit: I just tried it on my 670 and it worked fine without issue. ( Other than it being a 670 and hardly any fps on 1440p anyway. hah.) It's looking like possibly a faulty dvi port on my 980 as the DP ports worked fine running both of my U2412M's.

Usually the green dots are from memory issues. Sounds like your card was over clocked past it's limits and fried :-(
post #23447 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb41488 View Post

Usually the green dots are from memory issues. Sounds like your card was over clocked past it's limits and fried :-(

Worked fine on my 1080p monitor with the same cable, just not with my QNIX. I believe they just didn't make most of the 980's with proper DVI-D for that resolution on DVI as they're going for DP and probably trying to push G-sync monitors onto people. (We know DP is pretty much best overall especially once they can release DP 1.3 but Nvidia seems determined to make G-sync happen amd 3 DP on cards make it more annoying for those still using these awesome DVI-D Korean monitors.)

This card has all of the pins for DVI-D which I thought would make it work but it seems to be actual DVI-I. Zotac doesn't really clarify any of that, just lists as DVI.

It may very well be that issue as well. Has been working fine since that 1 instance but I also haven't played any games much. Out of box it has pretty good standard clocks as it's their Amp! Extreme edition but some people can't ever have enough and must OC to the limits. lol

I'm just hoping I can figure it out completely before the time to send it back is up. I'm waiting on an active displayport to dvi-d adapter now to see if that changes anything.
post #23448 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCarnagex View Post

Worked fine on my 1080p monitor with the same cable, just not with my QNIX. I believe they just didn't make most of the 980's with proper DVI-D for that resolution on DVI as they're going for DP and probably trying to push G-sync monitors onto people. (We know DP is pretty much best overall especially once they can release DP 1.3 but Nvidia seems determined to make G-sync happen amd 3 DP on cards make it more annoying for those still using these awesome DVI-D Korean monitors.)

This card has all of the pins for DVI-D which I thought would make it work but it seems to be actual DVI-I. Zotac doesn't really clarify any of that, just lists as DVI.

It may very well be that issue as well. Has been working fine since that 1 instance but I also haven't played any games much. Out of box it has pretty good standard clocks as it's their Amp! Extreme edition but some people can't ever have enough and must OC to the limits. lol

I'm just hoping I can figure it out completely before the time to send it back is up. I'm waiting on an active displayport to dvi-d adapter now to see if that changes anything.

DVI-I and DVI-D both work with these monitors. The key is dual link, which all 980s have.
post #23449 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro2u View Post

DVI-I and DVI-D both work with these monitors. The key is dual link, which all 980s have.

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. I tried a DVI-I cable and it gave me the flashing solid colors going that route. DVI-D still looks like the pics I posted earlier on the last page or 2.

I suppose I won't know for sure if it's just that port or the card itself until I get that adapter in and see if that changes anything.
post #23450 of 25940
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCarnagex View Post

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. I tried a DVI-I cable and it gave me the flashing solid colors going that route. DVI-D still looks like the pics I posted earlier on the last page or 2.

I suppose I won't know for sure if it's just that port or the card itself until I get that adapter in and see if that changes anything.

There's really no reason a dvi-I cord would give you flashing colors. Are you sure you didn't try a single link dvi cord?

In any case your proof of the 970 and 670 working fine with the monitor means the monitor is good. Your issue is your card for sure. I have a 970G1 and can use both the dvi-d and dvi-I ports with thus monitor (you have to use both ports in order to flash firmware updates on the g1)

As I stated prior sounds like something is bad on your card. Lots of people in here are using 980s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club