Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club - Page 518

post #5171 of 25922
Has anyone got the Ipsledmonitors.com 3 year warranty? if so would you recommend it?
post #5172 of 25922
I wish UPS didn't have to fly their international packages all over the country but I guess that's their only route. Still really impressed by their shipping times though.


Edited by ronquilent - 8/2/13 at 5:47pm
post #5173 of 25922
There is also the timings which like i said you need to read about before you start messing around with it because if you do we will then be helping you to even get a picture back. And NO my answer is NOT comparable to "did you power cycle it" I am starting from the beginning and the basics which starts with the cable followed by what i said above.

But since you said it......Did you power cycle it? LOL J/k Maybe you are reading to much into the negative or joking comments.
post #5174 of 25922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronquilent View Post

I wish UPS didn't have to roam all over the country to deliver international packages but I guess that's their only route.


Mine kinda did this as well. It literally just flew by me what seemed like twice before it actually got to my area. international shipping is weird. I am sure there are superficial variables that make it sorta justified. Just like international laws LOL.,
post #5175 of 25922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan F8 View Post

There is also the timings which like i said you need to read about before you start messing around with it because if you do we will then be helping you to even get a picture back. And NO my answer is NOT comparable to "did you power cycle it" I am starting from the beginning and the basics which starts with the cable followed by what i said above.

But since you said it......Did you power cycle it? LOL J/k Maybe you are reading to much into the negative or joking comments.

A better metaphor would be you call ATT to troubleshoot your internet and they find your connection from the modem to your PC is not working and they ask you to replace that cable which is your cable since it is past the modem and you say NO. Well there is nothing else that can be done since you stopped at step 1. Because it could be the modem port, cable or your pc port/driver. I also might add that the support desk person would not deserve backlash in this event.
post #5176 of 25922
I asked this a while back and nobody decided to bit. I was wondering if the LCD overdrive technology AMD cards offer would have any positive effect in terms of response. Well i have a AMD card on order to test this out and will report back tomorrow with my results. I will be testing at stock, 96hz and 120hz since they are the most used of any refresh.
post #5177 of 25922
Quote:
Originally Posted by air tree View Post

Has anyone got the Ipsledmonitors.com 3 year warranty? if so would you recommend it?

I have not, but the reason I didn't is because the site appears to be brand new and I don't trust that they will even be around for 3 years. The domain was registered just two months ago, and they don't even exist on resellerratings.com. Not saying they're a bad company, just haven't gained enough credibility to trust with a warranty.
post #5178 of 25922
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggleface View Post

I have not, but the reason I didn't is because the site appears to be brand new and I don't trust that they will even be around for 3 years. The domain was registered just two months ago, and they don't even exist on resellerratings.com. Not saying they're a bad company, just haven't gained enough credibility to trust with a warranty.

For those who have this thought going might want to consider that newegg is carrying these monitors now.

With newegg's popularity and reputation it may be OP worthy that they are now carrying them. Just a thought thumb.gif
post #5179 of 25922
Just ordered a glossy qnix from newegg with the upgraded 3-5 day shipping.

Next up is a dual vesa mount for my u2711 and this qnix. Thinking of going with this:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005TCMQ2Y/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=2UXJDLUCO7L8Z&coliid=I1YYVW6KOA0Q94
Anyone has experience with this stand or another suggestion?
Edited by Bobotheklown - 8/2/13 at 6:15pm
Woot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2700k Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3 GTX 680 16gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120gb Intel 510 series ssd, 80gb Intel 320 seri... Asus dvdrw Corsair h80 + 9 case fans Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 Razer Blackwidow PC P&C 950w Silencer Corsair 400r 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba 2012 Black Ultrasone 550's, X-fi Titanium HD  M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
Woot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2700k Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3 GTX 680 16gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120gb Intel 510 series ssd, 80gb Intel 320 seri... Asus dvdrw Corsair h80 + 9 case fans Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 Razer Blackwidow PC P&C 950w Silencer Corsair 400r 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba 2012 Black Ultrasone 550's, X-fi Titanium HD  M-Audio AV40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5180 of 25922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan F8 View Post

A better metaphor would be you call ATT to troubleshoot your internet and they find your connection from the modem to your PC is not working and they ask you to replace that cable which is your cable since it is past the modem and you say NO. Well there is nothing else that can be done since you stopped at step 1. Because it could be the modem port, cable or your pc port/driver. I also might add that the support desk person would not deserve backlash in this event.

Yeahhhh except for the fact that they are trained at troubleshooting. You don't know what this problem is so how can you know what a cable would or wouldn't do?

You could say "hey my xbox has a red ring of death, how do I fix it..?" and I could say: "Did you try replacing the controller?" you'd argue, "why?" I'd say: "well if you aren't willing to try to fix your problem by replacing the controller, you don't really care about fixing it..."

And how often do you call tech support anywhere and get any solid advice?
Zealotry
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Pentium G3258  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition EVGA SC GTX 570 Crucial C300 128GB + 5TB Storage 
OSMonitorPowerAudio
Windows 7 Ultimate QNIX 27" IPS  Corsair 800TX Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
Zealotry
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Pentium G3258  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition EVGA SC GTX 570 Crucial C300 128GB + 5TB Storage 
OSMonitorPowerAudio
Windows 7 Ultimate QNIX 27" IPS  Corsair 800TX Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Official] The Qnix/X-Star 1440p Monitor Club