Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Reviews?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Reviews? - Page 19

post #181 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

try running 3DMark 11. Heaven and Valley seem to be very easy on overclocks.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6563852

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6564063 (With Lucid Virtu MVP on)

No artifacts, don't have advanced edition though if it changes anything. And if anything, 3dmark11 had my temps peak at 57C.
Edited by Nsan1ty - 5/13/13 at 3:48am
post #182 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsan1ty View Post

Been following this thread for a while since I was interested in the model and despite people saying it didn't seem like an amazing card, I let myself get tempted by it due to liking the cooler and having a preference for MSI over the other options I had at the time. Since I got this card and "managed" to get 1200MHz as well on core I figured I'd share the info I gathered.

1200/1600 on air (TF3 cooler)



Anything past 1200 core seems to be leading into artifacts. According to MSI Afterburner, the Core Voltage was at 1.275 while GPU-Z was showing 1.244 on average (Stock shows as 1.256 on AB and 1.181 average on GPU-Z). VRM temps went up to 71C/64C.

ASIC: 64.4%


what setup are you using (processor, ram OS)


after cheking the Nvidia prices for the 700 series that was released today im honestly thinking about giving one of these a shot


i just dont want coil whine, and 1200 on air! (atleast 1150 )


biggest deal is the card is QUIET ... the Vapor X isnt and the dual X was slightly quieter ...i wonder how this one stacks
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #183 of 320
Hey buddy, I've seen your posts on the tf3 7970 thread and was gonna let you know I'm selling my latest MSI lightning card. Main reason being my 7990 is En route back from RMA and am putting my water cooling rig together as soon as it arrives and ek lightning blocks are temp out of stock. I only tested card to verify it works, It is brand new and cost me 450 after tax and shipping. I'll let it go for 350 plus shipping,figure I'd throw that out. Thx man
post #184 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTurbo View Post

Hey buddy, I've seen your posts on the tf3 7970 thread and was gonna let you know I'm selling my latest MSI lightning card. Main reason being my 7990 is En route back from RMA and am putting my water cooling rig together as soon as it arrives and ek lightning blocks are temp out of stock. I only tested card to verify it works, It is brand new and cost me 450 after tax and shipping. I'll let it go for 350 plus shipping,figure I'd throw that out. Thx man


USA?

ASIC ? Never tried to oc it?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #185 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbacio View Post

what setup are you using (processor, ram OS)

i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
ASUS Maximus V Formula
G.Skill Sniper @2133MHz
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

It's pretty much a luck of the draw it seems when it comes to reaching 1200MHz+ and the coil whine it seems.
post #186 of 320
Okay so after long hours of research, this was the only card I was able to find which seemed to have the ability for OC and Water cooling. (And the fact this is in stock at a reasonable price. If anyone can please suggest another GPU with OC/Watercooling ability which is still in stock by a popular vendor, amazon, newegg, ncix, etc, it would be greatly appreciated).

MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127732

However, I have yet to see some pictures of this GPU with a waterblock on it. Does someone have this running in their rig, water cooled? I also heard that since it has a loud coil whine, it is fixed by water cooling so idk.
post #187 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZaCx View Post

Okay so after long hours of research, this was the only card I was able to find which seemed to have the ability for OC and Water cooling. (And the fact this is in stock at a reasonable price. If anyone can please suggest another GPU with OC/Watercooling ability which is still in stock by a popular vendor, amazon, newegg, ncix, etc, it would be greatly appreciated).

MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127732

However, I have yet to see some pictures of this GPU with a waterblock on it. Does someone have this running in their rig, water cooled? I also heard that since it has a loud coil whine, it is fixed by water cooling so idk.

for watercooling the diamond HD 7970 cards are the best . they come with AMD reference PCB, voltage control and overclock extremely well. ask the experts like tsm106 who are running 3 Diamond cards watercooled dat 1300 Mhz. good luck. thumb.gif

https://www.diamondmm.com/product/51-diamond-amd-radeon-hd-7970-pcie-3g-gddr5-video-graphics-card

the msi card you picked is compatible with HD 7970 full cover waterblocks and has voltage control. it has higher stock clocks of 1050 mhz. but still the diamonds are your best bet for 1200+ mhz with watercooling.
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #188 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

for watercooling the diamond HD 7970 cards are the best . they come with AMD reference PCB, voltage control and overclock extremely well. ask the experts like tsm106 who are running 3 Diamond cards watercooled dat 1300 Mhz. good luck. thumb.gif

https://www.diamondmm.com/product/51-diamond-amd-radeon-hd-7970-pcie-3g-gddr5-video-graphics-card

the msi card you picked is compatible with HD 7970 full cover waterblocks and has voltage control. it has higher stock clocks of 1050 mhz. but still the diamonds are your best bet for 1200+ mhz with watercooling.

Thank you for the information. I was looking into that dimond gpu. Problem was that they were sold out on newegg, and on amazon they are being sold for an absurd price of $560. However, both those sites, including ncix offer the game bundle's which the dimond website doesn't, apparently. Would have been great if it was :/

EDIT: According to their front page, you only seem to get games with the following GPUS's
1. 7990
2. 7790
3. 7770

It is incredibly lame nothing seems to be offered with the 7970. Unless there are games offered with it and the site doesn't mention.
Edited by eZaCx - 5/14/13 at 9:22pm
post #189 of 320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZaCx View Post

Okay so after long hours of research, this was the only card I was able to find which seemed to have the ability for OC and Water cooling. (And the fact this is in stock at a reasonable price. If anyone can please suggest another GPU with OC/Watercooling ability which is still in stock by a popular vendor, amazon, newegg, ncix, etc, it would be greatly appreciated).

MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127732

However, I have yet to see some pictures of this GPU with a waterblock on it. Does someone have this running in their rig, water cooled? I also heard that since it has a loud coil whine, it is fixed by water cooling so idk.

If you are actually going to water-cool, go with the Diamond 7970. You can still order one directly from Diamond's website for $400 (before shipping and tax). Yes the TF3 is fully compatible with a full water block, but they are much less likely to respond well to increased voltage and consequently probably wont overclock as well. I like MSI but at this time I wouldn't recommend this particular card. I wish I went with the Diamond but it's too late to get a full refund for my TF3 anymore (redeemed the free games code).

Basically, Diamond cards are known to scale extremely well with extra voltage because they are less leaky. With the TF3 you are likely to end up with chip that tops out at a fixed frequency regardless of how much voltage you give it.
post #190 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhollywood5 View Post

If you are actually going to water-cool, go with the Diamond 7970. You can still order one directly from Diamond's website for $400 (before shipping and tax). Yes the TF3 is fully compatible with a full water block, but they are much less likely to respond well to increased voltage and consequently probably wont overclock as well. I like MSI but at this time I wouldn't recommend this particular card. I wish I went with the Diamond but it's too late to get a full refund for my TF3 anymore (redeemed the free games code).

Basically, Diamond cards are known to scale extremely well with extra voltage because they are less leaky. With the TF3 you are likely to end up with chip that tops out at a fixed frequency regardless of how much voltage you give it.

Do you know of any place that actually sells it with the game bundle right now? Amazon is $560 which is crazy, and newegg has run out. It would be great if I could get the game bundle :/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Reviews?