Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › SVP (Smooth Video Project) Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SVP (Smooth Video Project) Discussion Thread - Page 14

post #131 of 774
Hey guys, I've been happily using SVP for a long time on my 2500k without issues, but I want to build another PC from old parts to watch movie files.

Now I am just wondering if anyone can tell me, if I bought something like a 2.5 GHz Xeon processor (L5420) for my old LGA775 PC (and do the 771->775 mod), would it be able to run SVP smoothly 60 fps? The other specs would be 4 GB DDR2 RAM and a Radeon HD 6850. SVP doesn't need to be on the highest settings. I just need someone with SVP on a core 2 quad / xeon to please comment biggrin.gif I don't want to blow $50 for that CPU if it's not going to work satisfactorally. My 2500k at 4.4 GHz is roughly twice as fast as those Xeon processors at 2.5 GHz. I have a decent P45 motherboard so I could probably overclock to over 3 GHz or whatever if need be and temps are not too high (that motherboard could reach 490 FSB stable).

Thanks
post #132 of 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

Just did a screen capture comparision between bicubic75, jinc3, and nnedi32. Bicubic and jinc looked identical, while nnedi32 looks a tiny bit better when it comes to chroma clarity and positioning. I can only see the difference with a screen capture, though, and the difference is negligible. Then again, add a bit of sharpening, and it looks better than any setting combination on MadVR with no performance loss, as the following pics show (open in new tab for full size). Comparisons (Click to show)
Bicubic 75



Jinc 3




NNEDI 32





Bicubic 75, Sharpening


Jinc 3, Sharpening


NNEDI32, Sharpening


720p source. For sharpening, I used FFDShow Video Raw's SWScaler with the Luma at 1.61 and Chroma at 0.

Similar results to mine. I don't particularly want to do any sharpening, but you might be interested in mpc-hc's new "shaders" tab which allows you to put lots of .hlsl shaders post/pre-resize as you wish. I think I saw people on madvr's doom9 thread discussing a lumasharpen filter for it but can't remember exactly where.

 

I think I'll avoid NNEDI3 since there are better things to use my processing power on. Now if madvr supported SLI/CFX that'd be another story...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorbaard View Post

Hey guys, I've been happily using SVP for a long time on my 2500k without issues, but I want to build another PC from old parts to watch movie files.

Now I am just wondering if anyone can tell me, if I bought something like a 2.5 GHz Xeon processor (L5420) for my old LGA775 PC (and do the 771->775 mod), would it be able to run SVP smoothly 60 fps? The other specs would be 4 GB DDR2 RAM and a Radeon HD 6850. SVP doesn't need to be on the highest settings. I just need someone with SVP on a core 2 quad / xeon to please comment biggrin.gif I don't want to blow $50 for that CPU if it's not going to work satisfactorally. My 2500k at 4.4 GHz is roughly twice as fast as those Xeon processors at 2.5 GHz. I have a decent P45 motherboard so I could probably overclock to over 3 GHz or whatever if need be and temps are not too high (that motherboard could reach 490 FSB stable).

Thanks

So, is your 2500K under 50% usage when interpolating your normal source files? That should give a rough idea of how you should do.

post #133 of 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moragg View Post

So, is your 2500K under 50% usage when interpolating your normal source files? That should give a rough idea of how you should do.

Haha you are right I *could* do this however I got a 1440p screen with the clock patch to run at 120 Hz and now my SVP does not function normally so I had to disable it (someone explained earlier in thread that the 120 Hz clock patch messes SVP up).
post #134 of 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorbaard View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moragg View Post

So, is your 2500K under 50% usage when interpolating your normal source files? That should give a rough idea of how you should do.

Haha you are right I *could* do this however I got a 1440p screen with the clock patch to run at 120 Hz and now my SVP does not function normally so I had to disable it (someone explained earlier in thread that the 120 Hz clock patch messes SVP up).

I have an X-Star 2710 Matte sitting in front of me @120Hz and SVP works just fine... are you sure you're using the latest clock patch (i.e. the one that doesn't require test mode)?

post #135 of 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moragg View Post

I have an X-Star 2710 Matte sitting in front of me @120Hz and SVP works just fine... are you sure you're using the latest clock patch (i.e. the one that doesn't require test mode)?

Yes I am thanks for your reply I just noticed the last while that my SVP doesn't work well in the sense that the audio goes away after say 10 seconds of playing and then it just gets really slow or laggy and sometimes it freezes and SVP gives me the "performance is low" message then I just disable it to be able to watch something.
post #136 of 774

Sounds like you need to turn your settings down to "to screen refresh rate/2" - I imagine either your cpu cannot handle that much interpolation, and/or your GPU is unable to upscale 120fps. There is no reason not to leave it on the setting I mentioned above unless all other settings are relatively turned up. While playing the problematic video double click on the taskbar symbol to bring up the currently running profile.

 

Also make sure GPU acceleration is turned on in SVP settings (when you right click on the taskbar symbol).

post #137 of 774
I took a look and when I put it to interpolate to 60 Hz it worked fine. However it really bugged me because in the back of my mind I'm pretty sure it worked fine at 120 Hz although I cannot remember the circumstances, I think it was on my previous windows install also with the clock patch. I changed SVP settings to match 120 Hz again and I kept a CPU graph in the background and when it started lagging/desyncing/freezing I looked at the graphs and CPU usage is like not even 40%. Only thing I can think of that could cause the issue is I am on 13.11 beta Catalyst drivers (because it works for mining).
post #138 of 774

Nah, if you overload it then SVP doesn't even bother. What CPU & GPU usage do you get with screen refresh rate/2 ?

 

Also, could you post a picture of the SVP profile, and give me an idea of the file we're working with (real-life/anime, 720p/1080p, bitrate) since those all affect performance.

post #139 of 774
Thread Starter 
Try using these settings. I've been using this profile for all resolutions for a while, and I believe it to be the best balance between smoothness (highest possible), performance (55-70% 1080p 120Hz, ~25% 720p 120Hz 3820@4.5Ghz), and artifacts (the best you can get without changing shaders to 2.0/1.5 and/or using artifacts masking, both of which sacrifice smoothness).



The decrease grid step and small px. motion vectors grid will destroy 120Hz, and there's not really a difference with it on or off. So, if those are enabled for 120Hz+ users, you need to disable them in order to get smooth video without black screens and freezing.
Edited by airisom2 - 3/16/14 at 3:12pm
post #140 of 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moragg View Post

Nah, if you overload it then SVP doesn't even bother. What CPU & GPU usage do you get with screen refresh rate/2 ?

Also, could you post a picture of the SVP profile, and give me an idea of the file we're working with (real-life/anime, 720p/1080p, bitrate) since those all affect performance.

For now I am just working with a real-life 720p 4000 Kbps AVC@L4.1 video file in MKV container. On 60 Hz core #1 40% and core #2 to #4 is about 15-20%. For my settings read on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

Try using these settings. I've been using this profile for all resolutions for a while, and I believe it to be the best balance between smoothness (highest possible), performance (55-70% 1080p 120Hz, ~25% 720p 120Hz 3820@4.5Ghz), and artifacts (the best you can get without changing shaders to 2.0/1.5 and/or using artifacts masking, both of which sacrifice smoothness).



The decrease grid step and small px. motion vectors grid will destroy 120Hz, and there's not really a difference with it on or off. So, if those are enabled for 120Hz+ users, you need to disable them in order to get smooth video without black screens and freezing.

I tried your settings on my 2500k. My settings were exactly the same before except for motion vector grid which was set on "12 px Average 2" and decrease grid step was set on "By two with local refinement". It's working better now but the audio still desyncs a bit and still sometimes it moans about performance index which is too low. CPU usage stays circa 30%.

I think I will uninstall and reinstall SVP and all the components again. Do you guys install and use Reclock?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › SVP (Smooth Video Project) Discussion Thread