Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Overclocking monitor from 60hz to 120hz - What actually happens? Is it safe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking monitor from 60hz to 120hz - What actually happens? Is it safe?

Poll Results: Is overclocking your monitor safe?

 
  • 58% (18)
    Yes
  • 41% (13)
    No
31 Total Votes  
post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm mainly wondering what happens when you OC your monitor.

I've found people on both sides of the fence in terms of how safe it is, but there's never really any technical information to back it up. I know some of you have had your monitors running for months at 120hz already, but that's still not too reassuring, as there's many different monitors and it's not really a long time period.

Basically looking for information from anyone who has a bit more technical knowledge regarding the matter, rather than just personal experience.

Also, a poll, because why not.
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanum View Post

I'm mainly wondering what happens when you OC your monitor.

I've found people on both sides of the fence in terms of how safe it is, but there's never really any technical information to back it up. I know some of you have had your monitors running for months at 120hz already, but that's still not too reassuring, as there's many different monitors and it's not really a long time period.

Basically looking for information from anyone who has a bit more technical knowledge regarding the matter, rather than just personal experience.

Also, a poll, because why not.
A monitor can only produce it's specification. When you overclock a monitor, you don't actually change anything other than the specification that's reported. A 60Hz monitor can only refresh at 60Hz, even if you overclocked it.

Is it safe? No, you can damage the monitor by forcing it to try and produce more than what it is capable of.

Overclocking a monitor gives no benefit at all, and increases risk of failing, so why do it?
The only time overclocking is useful is when you have a 120Hz monitor and you have some sort of software issue whereby the system will lock the monitor at a lower refresh rate, as seen with some SLI setups. Not sure if this has been fixed or not.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

A monitor can only produce it's specification. When you overclock a monitor, you don't actually change anything other than the specification that's reported. A 60Hz monitor can only refresh at 60Hz, even if you overclocked it.

Is it safe? No, you can damage the monitor by forcing it to try and produce more than what it is capable of.

Overclocking a monitor gives no benefit at all, and increases risk of failing, so why do it?
The only time overclocking is useful is when you have a 120Hz monitor and you have some sort of software issue whereby the system will lock the monitor at a lower refresh rate, as seen with some SLI setups. Not sure if this has been fixed or not.

There are benefits though. With those newer Korean 60hz 1440p monitors, you can actually see a visible difference when you overclock.

Mainly wondering how the monitor would get a reduced lifespan from OCing though. I know you're running it at a non-default refresh rate, but still not sure how any of it actually works.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanum View Post

There are benefits though. With those newer Korean 60hz 1440p monitors, you can actually see a visible difference when you overclock.

Mainly wondering how the monitor would get a reduced lifespan from OCing though. I know you're running it at a non-default refresh rate, but still not sure how any of it actually works.

If you can get benifits from a Korean 60 Hz panel to a 120 Hz over clock, why wouldn't any other 60 Hz monitor not benifit from same over clock? Aren't the Korean panels the same Samsung / LG panels that didn't make the grade?
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
I have heard mixed reviews about overclocking the monitors. Sometimes they do not reach a full 120hz. I guess you could always try and see if it works. Hard to say for sure if it will shorten the life span.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H Zotac 1080 gtx Samsung  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 500gb SSD M$ 10 Asus ROG PG348Q Corsair 
Case
Case Labs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX9650 EP45-UD3P Gygabyte XFX 5770 4x1gb Gskill  
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor Raid 0 Vista 64bit Samsung 2494 G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair Case Labs MX518 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 3570k Gigabyte H77N-Wifi GSkill 2x2gb Crucial M4 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4x2tb raid Blu-ray Corsair H90 W7 Home Premium 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Case Labs S3 Mercury Logitech MX Performance Audio Engine 5 Dayton Sub-120 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H Zotac 1080 gtx Samsung  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 500gb SSD M$ 10 Asus ROG PG348Q Corsair 
Case
Case Labs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX9650 EP45-UD3P Gygabyte XFX 5770 4x1gb Gskill  
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor Raid 0 Vista 64bit Samsung 2494 G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair Case Labs MX518 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 3570k Gigabyte H77N-Wifi GSkill 2x2gb Crucial M4 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4x2tb raid Blu-ray Corsair H90 W7 Home Premium 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Case Labs S3 Mercury Logitech MX Performance Audio Engine 5 Dayton Sub-120 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
7-months overclocked. I guess I'll check-in again 6 months from now tongue.gif
Main
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K @ 4.7Ghz [1.284v] Z87X-UD4H [F7] MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 2x4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3; 10-10-10-28 @ 2133Mhz [... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 1x Crucial M500 960GB 1x WD4003FZEX 1x WD30EFRX 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NH-D14 3x A15s @ 600RPM 2x Phanteks F140SP BBK (front), SFF21E (bottom) Win 10 Pro x64 Catleap 2B @ 119hz +1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
U3014 eVGA 750G2 Fractal R5 - Blackout Edition MS WMO 1.1a 
Mouse PadAudio
fUnc 1030 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670K @ 4.7Ghz [1.284v] Z87X-UD4H [F7] MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 2x4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3; 10-10-10-28 @ 2133Mhz [... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 1x Crucial M500 960GB 1x WD4003FZEX 1x WD30EFRX 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NH-D14 3x A15s @ 600RPM 2x Phanteks F140SP BBK (front), SFF21E (bottom) Win 10 Pro x64 Catleap 2B @ 119hz +1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
U3014 eVGA 750G2 Fractal R5 - Blackout Edition MS WMO 1.1a 
Mouse PadAudio
fUnc 1030 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

If you can get benifits from a Korean 60 Hz panel to a 120 Hz over clock, why wouldn't any other 60 Hz monitor not benifit from same over clock? Aren't the Korean panels the same Samsung / LG panels that didn't make the grade?

I tried on my other monitor, but it couldn't OC past 65hz without tons of artifacting. It was somewhat old though, so that may be the issue.

Could be that many other monitors can OC well too, but I'm more familiar with people's success using the 1440p Korean ones.
post #8 of 16
does it increase temps? is it electrically safe?

fires can occur if a monitor overheats and the plastic drips onto something combustible, a few years ago it happened in a local hospital and took the whole ward down.

im sure its ok, the VDU chip is probably capable but does it increase and physical strain on the CCFL / LED backlight with faster strobing etc.. ? are you pushing something thats not actively cooled too much, just asking
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

does it increase temps? is it electrically safe?

fires can occur if a monitor overheats and the plastic drips onto something combustible, a few years ago it happened in a local hospital and took the whole ward down.

im sure its ok, the VDU chip is probably capable but does it increase and physical strain on the CCFL / LED backlight with faster strobing etc.. ? are you pushing something thats not actively cooled too much, just asking

Yeah, I'm wondering too. So far, I've been playing it safe, and not OCing.

It just seems that something would have to work harder in order to support a higher refresh rate, which I imagine would produce more heat. My assumptions are based off of OCing other hardware though, so not sure if they're applicable to monitors.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

does it increase temps? is it electrically safe?

fires can occur if a monitor overheats and the plastic drips onto something combustible, a few years ago it happened in a local hospital and took the whole ward down.

im sure its ok, the VDU chip is probably capable but does it increase and physical strain on the CCFL / LED backlight with faster strobing etc.. ? are you pushing something thats not actively cooled too much, just asking

Good questions.

I don't mind if damage was just to the monitor. However the question you raise about safety and fire hazard imposes some pause.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanum View Post

I tried on my other monitor, but it couldn't OC past 65hz without tons of artifacting. It was somewhat old though, so that may be the issue.

Could be that many other monitors can OC well too, but I'm more familiar with people's success using the 1440p Korean ones.


I got a PB278Q to 85 Hz before it artifacts at 90 Hz. My current U2713HM artifacts at 95Hz and can do 90 Hz refresh rate. I'm trying this at my own risks and if you are trying higher refresh rate than manufactures specifications, then your own risk.




The question then remains are we getting any performance gains gaming?


Since I'm still the last post I wanted to pose a question........if you over clock the refresh rate to 120 Hz wouldn't 3D Vision be possible at this point?

Why can't the Korean models pulling 120 Hz actually not display 3D Vision? Is the 120 Hz on those monitors only over clocked 60 Hz refresh rate panels or are they truly 120 Hz?

Well I'm going to guess that they are not truly 120 Hz or we'd have a new craze of 3D Vision at 120 Hz fluid motion 1440p. rolleyes.gif

You need one heck of a GPU to push over 100 + FPS & @ 1440p because at 120 Hz if your not pulling 100 FPS + your not getting the fluidity of 120 Hz benefits.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Overclocking monitor from 60hz to 120hz - What actually happens? Is it safe?