Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Acrylic pipebending 101
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acrylic pipebending 101 - Page 249

post #2481 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKris View Post

Mayhem's pastel or X1. Silver kill coil not needed. wink.gif

The silver kill coil was from when I was doing flex tube, actually not using it right now. I asked this redundant question as it's out there, but you always see a thread that includes something like "use this unless acrylic". So, this was a safe better than sorry question.
4770k
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K msi Z87 Mpower XFX R9 295X2 corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
corsair m500 msata Western Digital Velociraptor Hitachi Alphacool Monsta 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool UT 360 EK supremacy CPU water block Koolance RP-401X2 swiftech mcp35x 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC RDL1225S Fan Koolance R9 295X2 Water Block Winows 8.1 pro Samsung U28D590D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ducky shine II White Led Cherry Red MX switches... Corsair AX1200i Caselabs TH10 Logitech G502 
Mouse PadOther
Logitech G2 ASUS PCE-AC68 1900 wireless card 
  hide details  
Reply
4770k
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K msi Z87 Mpower XFX R9 295X2 corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
corsair m500 msata Western Digital Velociraptor Hitachi Alphacool Monsta 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool UT 360 EK supremacy CPU water block Koolance RP-401X2 swiftech mcp35x 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC RDL1225S Fan Koolance R9 295X2 Water Block Winows 8.1 pro Samsung U28D590D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ducky shine II White Led Cherry Red MX switches... Corsair AX1200i Caselabs TH10 Logitech G502 
Mouse PadOther
Logitech G2 ASUS PCE-AC68 1900 wireless card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2482 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikyou View Post

The silver kill coil was from when I was doing flex tube, actually not using it right now. I asked this redundant question as it's out there, but you always see a thread that includes something like "use this unless acrylic". So, this was a safe better than sorry question.
No worries! You can still use silver coil if just going with plain distilled.
post #2483 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKris View Post

No worries! You can still use silver coil if just going with plain distilled.

Silver doesn't give the anti corrosive protection the Mayhems gives if you running just distilled with silver kill coil is what I'm understanding.
4770k
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K msi Z87 Mpower XFX R9 295X2 corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
corsair m500 msata Western Digital Velociraptor Hitachi Alphacool Monsta 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool UT 360 EK supremacy CPU water block Koolance RP-401X2 swiftech mcp35x 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC RDL1225S Fan Koolance R9 295X2 Water Block Winows 8.1 pro Samsung U28D590D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ducky shine II White Led Cherry Red MX switches... Corsair AX1200i Caselabs TH10 Logitech G502 
Mouse PadOther
Logitech G2 ASUS PCE-AC68 1900 wireless card 
  hide details  
Reply
4770k
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K msi Z87 Mpower XFX R9 295X2 corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
corsair m500 msata Western Digital Velociraptor Hitachi Alphacool Monsta 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool UT 360 EK supremacy CPU water block Koolance RP-401X2 swiftech mcp35x 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC RDL1225S Fan Koolance R9 295X2 Water Block Winows 8.1 pro Samsung U28D590D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ducky shine II White Led Cherry Red MX switches... Corsair AX1200i Caselabs TH10 Logitech G502 
Mouse PadOther
Logitech G2 ASUS PCE-AC68 1900 wireless card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2484 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikyou View Post

Silver doesn't give the anti corrosive protection the Mayhems gives if you running just distilled with silver kill coil is what I'm understanding.
Yeah. Before going to acrylic. I was just using distilled + coil + LRT tubing. Still had nasty oxidization from the silver.
post #2485 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaican voodoo View Post

well guys found an interesting video for those lovers of acrylics tubing but want bigger size 3/4 OD x 1/2 ID Hard acrylic.. the guys from mod zoo came up with a solution
it's very interesting, take a look.

Nice idea, thanks for sharing it. These big tubes would really bright inside a huge case, I think.
post #2486 of 4306


Way too fat for me. Yes, and she did say that tongue.gif
post #2487 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikyou View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

I just use the saw that comes in the Monsson kit. Works fine, you're always going to have to sand down the end and typically need to chamfer it a bit to fit fittings, but that's part of life.

I ended up going to home depot as harbor freight is not too impressive in my neighborhood. I picked up a 24 tpi with 32 tpi replacements, 24 seems to cut okay but going to use the 32 replacements just for a smoother cut. I did get some fine grade sand paper, forgot the count.

Side note, I've went through six feet of acrylic and maybe one good bend so far, I'm very picky and doing this by hand is tough. I've got the rig up with flex tube and though about since I don't want my computer down for a long amount of time as this is my only one, replace a piece or two at a time, which would mean draining and filling up, thinking about just distilled till I get the final piece then do the additive. Probably over a couple week span.

Curious, since this acrylic from McMaster's is UV resistant, wouldn't it be counter productive to use UV reactive fluids? Guess what should happen is a low amount of UV should go through the acrylic making UV fluid not worth it.

The thing about the Monsoon kit, is that it was made FOR acrylic tubing. It isn't re-purposed. I went through about 4 feet of acrylic in just testing bends, heating properly, etc, but the mandrels do exactly what they were designed to do, and the included saw with miter box is incredibly handy to cut down the acrylic. Then it comes with a pipe reamer that allows you to not only chamfer the inside of the pipe, but the outside as well. There's definitely a learning curve, but if you watch the videos in the OP that BNeg linked to, and follow his instructions, everything becomes much simpler.

I've been using E-22 tubing with Bitspower's new Acrylic/Hard fittings because it's a much smaller ID/OD than anything in the US. Using large fittings and tubing on an Impact board was definitely a no-go. So far, no issues.

I dunno about McMaster's tubing, haven't worked with it, but then again, I don't like UV colored items in my rig. I've never seen a UV rig that made me feel like "wow, I want to do that." It's just personal preference, really.
post #2488 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaican voodoo View Post

well guys found an interesting video for those lovers of acrylics tubing but want bigger size 3/4 OD x 1/2 ID Hard acrylic.. the guys from mod zoo came up with a solution
it's very interesting, take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Bezerra View Post

Nice idea, thanks for sharing it. These big tubes would really bright inside a huge case, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKris View Post



Way too fat for me. Yes, and she did say that tongue.gif


Gonna give this a try biggrin.gif. I bought a g1/4 tap and bit set from mcmastercarr.com a few years ago but never used it. I have a plastics company just minutes away I can get this tube in 6' lengths for ~$8 each (eplastics.com). Will get a small test going and if its feasible it may replace my current Primochill and compression fittings. Also, they do have 1/2x5/8 tube for ~$5 but I think the wall is probably to thin and may crack.
post #2489 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikyou View Post

I ended up going to home depot as harbor freight is not too impressive in my neighborhood. I picked up a 24 tpi with 32 tpi replacements, 24 seems to cut okay but going to use the 32 replacements just for a smoother cut. I did get some fine grade sand paper, forgot the count.

Side note, I've went through six feet of acrylic and maybe one good bend so far, I'm very picky and doing this by hand is tough. I've got the rig up with flex tube and though about since I don't want my computer down for a long amount of time as this is my only one, replace a piece or two at a time, which would mean draining and filling up, thinking about just distilled till I get the final piece then do the additive. Probably over a couple week span.

Curious, since this acrylic from McMaster's is UV resistant, wouldn't it be counter productive to use UV reactive fluids? Guess what should happen is a low amount of UV should go through the acrylic making UV fluid not worth it.

What Xnine said about bending, follow that. If you dont want to invest in a monsoon bending kit, a 32 TPI blade is good. I use around 800 grit sand paper for making sure that my ends are nice and flush. For bending, one thing advice that I will give is that go slow (keep moving the tube over the heat gun), and heat more area than what you need bent. Going slow, keep moving the tube, and heating more area is what I did when I bent the fat tube (3/4 X 1/2).

MCMaster UV resistant tubing will be no issue when it comes to UV Reactive fluids. That tubing is just designed to not take damage or go bad under UV exposure (like fade or crack). One of the builds that I helped on is using the UV resistant tubing from McMaster, (link to build - http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1150-mz-1-mod-zoo-pc-project-video-series/ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermad View Post

Gonna give this a try biggrin.gif. I bought a g1/4 tap and bit set from mcmastercarr.com a few years ago but never used it. I have a plastics company just minutes away I can get this tube in 6' lengths for ~$8 each (eplastics.com). Will get a small test going and if its feasible it may replace my current Primochill and compression fittings. Also, they do have 1/2x5/8 tube for ~$5 but I think the wall is probably to thin and may crack.

We tried that, and just like you said, the walls are too thin and I had issues when I was just playing with the idea. I also tried the same with 5/8 by 3/8 tubing (kinds of defeats the purpose), but that required drilling on the tubing a bit to make the OD a bit large, and then tap it.

Glad to know that you are willing to try it out.
Edited by jassilamba - 4/8/14 at 2:57pm
post #2490 of 4306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassilamba View Post

We tried that, and just like you said, the walls are too thin and I had issues when I was just playing with the idea. I also tried the same with 5/8 by 3/8 tubing (kinds of defeats the purpose), but that required drilling on the tubing a bit to make the OD a bit large, and then tap it.

Glad to know that you are willing to try it out.

Do you know the 90° radius that results w/ this tube size (3/4 od)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Acrylic pipebending 101