So its been a minute, figured its about time for a nice sized update.
so first off let me preface this by saying never order expensive parts when you've had a few beers. My choice of a caselabs merlin was great, but being slightly buzzed I greatly underestimated the amount of size i needed and purchased the SM-5 model. Woops. So once it arrived and I realized my mistake I had to rma it and order an SM8. Not a big deal other than time lost. SM-8 showed up earlier today and boy is she pretty
test fitting the lower 2.140 rad and the psu (definetly not doable in an SM-5)
So once this hurdle had been overcome it was smooth sailing through the rest of the assembly right? WRONG. Major mistake number 2: I ordered a heatkiller board cooler block set for a crosshair V formula, I have a crosshair V formula-Z. whats the big difference you might be asking yourself? its one very annoyingly placed capacitor in terms of the NB MOSFET cooler, (please ignore the thermal paste, we were drunk and its been redone with the pea method since then)
At this point I'd pretty much had it with RMAing parts and waiting forever to get this project done. I've got a baby due in less than 14 days and if this build doesnt get done before, then who knows when it will. So running low on patience and beer to ply my helper with, i took the only logical solution: dremel the living **** out of it. fortunatly as you can see from the photo below my helper actually has half a clue on how to use a rotary tool and he did a pretty good job, we threw a piece of heat shrink over the offending capacitor to help prevent any possible shorts.
So with that out of the way all the problems with heatkiller are solved right? WRONG AGAIN. this universal chipset cooler (meant for the sb in this kit) is honestly one of the most poorly thought out designs on the market. there is absolutly no way to get this thing to fit in sli or crossfire, and getting it to fit with even one 7970 was such a pain in the ass that i just went back to the stock air cooler for the southbridge. If i could throw this thing through the window of their design studio, then i would probably already be on my way there.
But i digress, with the majority of the bull**** dealt with it was time to finally start assembling a loop
. I think from here on out i'll just let the last few pictures do the talking.
so thats it for today. goal is to get the aqualis and aqueros in tomorrow so i can start leak testing the loop. maybe this might actually get finished by the end of the weekend