Agreed. I've been whoring this thread for days with posts describing how much I like this game. The critics are quick to shout "corridor shooter" and call it a typical FPS, but this simply is NOT the case. If anything, 4A Games proved the corridor shooter can still be amazing! HL2 was a corridor shooter, right?
Also, just because something is open-world doesn't automatically make it better than something that is linear.
Back on topic - Critics that don't like the game miss out on all of the things that make it amazing. I did a review on 2033 a while back, so let me paste a paragraph from that describing a few subtle things that get lost on most reviewers:
- While wearing a gas mask, your character will automatically set his wristwatch to countdown the time left on the air filter
- When you filter is depleted, you must replace it with one on your persons, or scavenge one from a dead body etc.
- Speaking of dead bodies, when you approach a body you can physically see what items they have before taking them. (no stupid screen overlays with a list of items, you see them in game!)
- In combat, if you get hit with your mask on it cracks and smudges, reducing visibility.
- very detailed weapons and reload animations.
- One gun uses compressed air, and you must pump it before firing. to get an easy kill, use the on-gun PSI indicator to pump just the right amount of air in
- I can't stress this enough - all info you need is in the game, not on a huge HUD!!
All of this keeps you immersed in the game, rather than having huge HUD telling you EVERYTHING, all the time.