Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [YT] Frame Rating and FCAT Explanation and Discussion with NVIDIA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[YT] Frame Rating and FCAT Explanation and Discussion with NVIDIA - Page 26  

post #251 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

I see all this stuff about over 60fps and vsync solving the issue.

That's not true at all.

In order to have smooth animations with vsync each and every single of your frame times has to be 16.7ms or less. 60fps with AMD's frame time issues does not help because there are still huge frame time variations happening before vsync does its magic. The only difference is that instead of manifesting itself as runt frames the issue can be seen by the same frames being shown multiple times (or alternatively old frames being shown = even more input lag, uneven animations).

See I was under the impression that with >60 FPS and vsync, while not eliminating the problem, made it an issue that was effectively minimalized - Hence explaining why some folks seem to suggest they don't have any issues, despite the logistical impossibility of that.

Looks like my line of reasoning is erroneous and now back to square one...
post #252 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post

Just so we are clear, I have a Titan and no second system with AMD cards that I am hiding in secret. You don't have to convince me of anything. I am just saying that you are being rather bold telling people that their second video card is crap and is not doing anything but wasting space. It may very well be on SOME setups, but not 100%.

I'm not bold at all. I'm looking at the data and pointing out that 2 + 2 = 4. The issue exists on 100% of crossfire setups, and that's just the way AMD tech works at the moment. There's no "it only affects some people" about it.

Those that are bold are the ones that are denying the data are drawing unreasonable conclusions from what is in plain sight.
Edited by lajgnd - 5/11/13 at 1:24pm
post #253 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajgnd View Post

I'm under the impression that you didn't read the entirety of my post because I specifically addressed that by stating, and I quote
Now, please I encourage you to read someone's post next time before you reply.

O sorry, I get sick of all these threads butter /stutter threads .
Tomorrow take from a friend of his hd 7850 and testing myself.
post #254 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajgnd View Post

I can think of plenty of better things to do with $500 than spend it on a GPU that will sit in my computer and essentially do nothing.

If you consider bringing to light that your $500 second GPU is doing nothing and a complete waste of money, then yes by all means call it "OVERLY EXAGERRATED CAUSED BY NVIDIA PR"

Meanwhile, I will be spending $500 at the strip clubs and come back with a massively swollen case of blue balls. At least I'll have something to show for my $500.

Hahahaha, that deserves a +rep
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
post #255 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajgnd View Post

I'm not bold at all. I'm looking at the data and pointing out that 2 + 2 = 4. The issue exists on 100% of crossfire setups, and that's just the way AMD tech works at the moment. There's no "it only affects some people" about it.

Those that are bold are the ones that are denying the data are drawing unreasonable conclusions from what is in plain sight.

Okay, I am done. thumb.gif
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
post #256 of 311
Talk about a circle jerk.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
post #257 of 311
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajgnd View Post

See I was under the impression that with >60 FPS and vsync, while not eliminating the problem, made it an issue that was effectively minimalized - Hence explaining why some folks seem to suggest they don't have any issues, despite the logistical impossibility of that.

Looks like my line of reasoning is erroneous and now back to square one...

It just manifests itself differently. Without vsync you get runts since you can have multiple frames in every image that ends up on the monitor.

With vsync you will get more input lag (on top of the normal amount vsync already adds) and less smooth animations because while only 1 frame is displayed at a time, eliminating runts, they were still rendered at different times, which with AMD's drivers at the moment can be quite a big difference.
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
post #258 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

It just manifests itself differently. Without vsync you get runts since you can have multiple frames in every image that ends up on the monitor.

With vsync you will get more input lag (on top of the normal amount vsync already adds) and less smooth animations because while only 1 frame is displayed at a time, eliminating runts, they were still rendered at different times, which with AMD's drivers at the moment can be quite a big difference.

Got it. Seems like exactly what you said, the issue manifesting itself differently, and either manifestation of itself may be more noticeable depending on the user.

Shame it seems like there's really no way of working around this until AMD releases their drivers this summer, though. At least the prototypes look promising.
post #259 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arni90 View Post

SLI has an extra frame buffered compared to single GPU, because each GPU needs it's own frame to work on and Windows' flip queue buffer remains constant at 3 frames.
SLI users mostly increase graphical settings rather than increase framerate, these assumptions on input latency being "1.5 frames" when metered only work if you're using SLI exclusively to double your framerate.

The extra frame is queued but you're going through frames twice as fast. Also they're worked on in parallel not serially.

The increase in speed more than makes up for the extra input latency of queuing another frame of work on the CPU.
post #260 of 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

I see all this stuff about over 60fps and vsync solving the issue.

That's not true at all.

In order to have smooth animations with vsync each and every single of your frame times has to be 16.7ms or less. 60fps with AMD's frame time issues does not help because there are still huge frame time variations happening before vsync does its magic. The only difference is that instead of manifesting itself as runt frames the issue can be seen by the same frames being shown multiple times (or alternatively old frames being shown = even more input lag, uneven animations).

and this is when you put framecap...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [YT] Frame Rating and FCAT Explanation and Discussion with NVIDIA