Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › how to setup case fans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how to setup case fans

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 


i was wondering if this would be a good setup. reason im having air com in the back is because my computer will be in front of the window in my room which has a fan.(good/bad?)

so im pretty much asking how should i set this up.
im going to be runnning a 3770k at 4.4 - 4.7ghz
im using a cooler master evo in a push pull configuration. and i was thinking blowing air from the back to the front.
what should i do?!?
would it be better to have the back one blow air out and the front ones to suck air in?
oh. i almost forgot. il probably be running 680's in sli or 780's when they come out

and also if it isnt to much. at what ghz does an overclock stop becoming beneficial for a 3770k. like when heat outweighs the speed. ex: if it only gives me a small increase.
Edited by atomik9274 - 5/10/13 at 9:23pm
post #2 of 13

It is fine that you push the air inside from the back. Many people does that, but I would not make the top fans intake.

 

My current case Cosmos 2 for example, have all the fans as intake, but the top fans are exhaust.

 

Hot air rises. Remember.

 

Also make your front fans intake as well. But make sure you have some dust filters. Otherwise your case will be a dust magnet.

post #3 of 13
When you have fans pushing the air I wouldn't worry about "hot air rises". I would probably make the bottom exhaust to balance things. Otherwise yo have 4x 120mm fans / vents in and 2x 120mm fans / vents out.
post #4 of 13
If you prefer silence and you are willing to compromise few degrees hotter cpu for silence (me):
Two fans in front intake
One in the back, exhaust.
Run the front fans undervolted if you want even less noise in the front

If you want better performance:
Two in the front, one bottom intake
One top and one back exhaust.

Intake at front because there seems to be dust filtering
Once you upgrade to sli you might want to move the top front fan to bottom tho, if the cards are close each other

If you are new to cooling and fan configurations, common misbelief is that more fans -> lower temps. It doesn't work exactly like that, you can put fans in all slots of your case and have incredible airflow, this might bring your temps down some 4 degrees at max. Instead having the fans placed properly, and blowing into the components you need creating optimal airflow is the best option.

Also remember to maintain positive air pressure in the case. It means to have more air coming into your case than going out. This makes it so that very little air is being pushed out of all holes in your case, like empty fan mounts, small opening here and there etc, and dust doesn't come in trough those holes.

In my system (corsair 300r) which is a similiar case, i have two AP-13es in the front and two sp120 quiet editions pushing air trough a radiator, giving me nice airflow all around and positive pressure smile.gif

Hope it helped thumb.gif
Edited by EPiiKK - 5/11/13 at 5:43am
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiiKK View Post

If you prefer silence and you are willing to compromise few degrees hotter cpu for silence (me):
Two fans in front intake
One in the back, exhaust.
Run the front fans undervolted if you want even less noise in the front

If you want better performance:
Two in the front, one bottom intake
One top and one back exhaust.

Intake at front because there seems to be dust filtering
Once you upgrade to sli you might want to move the top front fan to bottom tho, if the cards are close each other

If you are new to cooling and fan configurations, common misbelief is that more fans -> lower temps. It doesn't work exactly like that, you can put fans in all slots of your case and have incredible airflow, this might bring your temps down some 4 degrees at max. Instead having the fans placed properly, and blowing into the components you need creating optimal airflow is the best option.

Also remember to maintain positive air pressure in the case. It means to have more air coming into your case than going out. This makes it so that very little air is being pushed out of all holes in your case, like empty fan mounts, small opening here and there etc, and dust doesn't come in trough those holes.

In my system (corsair 300r) which is a similiar case, i have two AP-13es in the front and two sp120 quiet editions pushing air trough a radiator, giving me nice airflow all around and positive pressure smile.gif

Hope it helped thumb.gif
silence isnt needed as il have a headset on most of the time or blasting music. so i should have the top 2 as exhaust and the back as exhaust to? one of the tops fans is a 140mm. so the front and bottom will bring air in and it will go out the top and back? il also have a cooler master evo in push pull. so how should i set the fans up on that?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik9274 View Post

silence isnt needed as il have a headset on most of the time or blasting music. so i should have the top 2 as exhaust and the back as exhaust to? one of the tops fans is a 140mm. so the front and bottom will bring air in and it will go out the top and back? il also have a cooler master evo in push pull. so how should i set the fans up on that?
I'd only have one exhaust on top, the one further back and have that CPU cooler blow air towards the back too
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiiKK View Post

I'd only have one exhaust on top, the one further back and have that CPU cooler blow air towards the back too
so the top one in the back and the fan on the back panel should be exhaust? so i should have it like this?
post #8 of 13
I'd take the other top fan off. Otherwise perfect thumb.gif
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiiKK View Post

I'd take the other top fan off. Otherwise perfect thumb.gif
is their some way i can utilize the other top fan? i have a nzxt sentry 2 fan controller that controls 6 fans... maybe make it another exhaust or intake?
post #10 of 13
Well of course you can put a fan in there but it wont help you at all. Just gonna draw in more dust, make noise, and affect air pressure in a bad way. Too much positive pressure can raise the temps...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › how to setup case fans