Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Asking advice for a custom build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asking advice for a custom build - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

How's this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X0gz

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.13 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.49 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($37.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2216.50

Room left over for whatever else you need.

Not going to beat this build at all, at least a million times better than your proposed build. Only thing I would opt for is some faster ram for a little more money (1866 or 2133MHz), the newer Samsung SSD (840 Pro) since they don't really carry 830's anymore, and would probably opt for the Rosewill LIGHTNING Series 800W PSU over the Capstone because an overclocked SandyBridge E and two overclocked 7970's are going to be drawing a decent amount of power. The 800W gives you better headroom.

Besides that wouldn't change a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyApe777 View Post

I will be taking this computer to friend's house or to lan parties so Im not too keen on water cooling. I thought 2011 socket wasnt out yet. Isnt 1155 the current socket? Also is Asrock reliable? Ive never heard of them but then again Ive been using gaming laptops for the past 7 years due to being in the navy. Only reason im building a desktop is because I wont be going underway anymore and im getting out.

Water cooling is very safe, these are all in one water cooling units. Meaning everything is sealed. Leaks happening on these units is very rare. You can lug this around all over the place and it would make no difference if it was an air cooler. I would dismiss your preconceived notions about "watercooling" because technically people dont even consider AIO watercoolers, watercooling.

2011 is the X79 platform, featuring SandyBridge-E and when released IvyBridge-E processors. There are also server processors for this platform. It has been out for quite some time, since 2011, if I'm correct.

ASRock is very reliable, they provide well priced quality products that overclock well and have a nice amount of features. Most of their X79 boards are very solid too.

thumb.gif
Edited by BiG StroOnZ - 5/13/13 at 1:30pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Not going to beat this build at all, at least a million times better than your proposed build. Only thing I would opt for is some faster ram for a little more money (1866 or 2133MHz), the newer Samsung SSD (840 Pro) since they don't really carry 830's anymore, and would probably opt for the Rosewill LIGHTNING Series 800W PSU over the Capstone because an overclocked SandyBridge E and two overclocked 7970's are going to be drawing a decent amount of power. The 800W gives you better headroom.

Besides that wouldn't change a thing.
Water cooling is very safe, these are all in one water cooling units. Meaning everything is sealed. Leaks happening on these units is very rare. You can lug this around all over the place and it would make no difference if it was an air cooler. I would dismiss your preconceived notions about "watercooling" because technically people dont even consider AIO watercoolers, watercooling.

2011 is the X79 platform, featuring SandyBridge-E and when released IvyBridge-E processors. There are also server processors for this platform. It has been out for quite some time, since 2011, if I'm correct.

ASRock is very reliable, they provide well priced quality products that overclock well and have a nice amount of features. Most of their X79 boards are very solid too.

thumb.gif
Thank you for explaining most of this for me biggrin.gifthumb.gif
Ok so with the Corsair H100, they have a warrenty that says, as long as you install it correctly, if it leaks they replace it and everything that the water damaged.
Yes I would go with the 840 pro too, as for the PSU, the capstone will work fine, but if you wanna be safe, including overclocking, I too would go with an 800W PSU.

The socket your thinking of is 1150, which is the HASWELL socket, 2011 has been out for a little while, and 1155 is technically the current platform, but 2011 is newer. Ivybridge-e will be out soon (hopefully) which will overtake the sandybridge-e that you would be getting. Its rumored that they will use the same 2011 socket as the sandybridge-e (as ivybridge and sandybridge share the same socket, its not too far fetched) so if you need to upgrade your processor in the future, your all good with the AsRock board.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
So adhd. What would you put together in a list for a badass gaming rig then? I guess I need to do more looking around. Thought the system I put together was pretty good but now Im having some doubts. Any help would be great.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyApe777 View Post

So adhd. What would you put together in a list for a badass gaming rig then? I guess I need to do more looking around. Thought the system I put together was pretty good but now Im having some doubts. Any help would be great.
Umm, I did an entire build already... but since im such a nice guy, I will post it again, with a few tweeks.


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X3hg

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.13 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.49 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg) Case is up to you, it just has to fit the Corsair H100 (240mm Radiator)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 950W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($37.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2306.49

Any questions just ask.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

How's this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X0gz

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.13 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.49 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($37.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2216.50

Room left over for whatever else you need.

Get a Corsair PSU, Rosewill is nice and all but cheap. You'll get uneven power distribution and a bad fan. A solid Corsair PSU will likely reduce capacitor squeal as well.
post #16 of 22

The Rosewill Capstone is a excellent PSU, with SuperFlower Golden Green internals.  It is anything but cheap.

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawIX View Post

Get a Corsair PSU, Rosewill is nice and all but cheap. You'll get uneven power distribution and a bad fan. A solid Corsair PSU will likely reduce capacitor squeal as well.
If anything the Rosewill PSU is as high of quality as the Corsair TX series.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Adhd thanks for the build. I like it. Im going to go with x2 8gb sticks for 16gb total. Ill go with the psu i originally had in my list and the ssd as well. Did I read the cpu correctly? 6 cores? Does that one have hyper threading?
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyApe777 View Post

Adhd thanks for the build. I like it. Im going to go with x2 8gb sticks for 16gb total. Ill go with the psu i originally had in my list and the ssd as well. Did I read the cpu correctly? 6 cores? Does that one have hyper threading?
I believe so, not absolutely sure. Someone else will have to confirm.
*EDIT*
I highly suggest you stay away from the HyperX as it is a slow Sandforce controller instead of the new, faster ones.
I fail! Go for the 840 pro instead if you can, much much faster.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_core_i7-3930k_review/1

Here is a link foe that cpu. The specs shows it has 6 cores and 12 threads. Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt that mean it does indeed have hyper threading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Asking advice for a custom build