Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Hows this watecooling setup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hows this watecooling setup?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
This is my PC currently:

Case: Bitfenix Shinobi XL
CPU: i5-3570k
GPU: Gigabyte 7970 Windforce x3
MoBo: MSI z77 MPower
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x 4gb
SSD: Intel 520 180gb
PSU: Seasonic x--750

I have 6 120mm Cougar Vortex fans and 1 140mm cougar vortex fan.im planning on using these as the radiator fans.

my main objective is to get a PC that is as quiet as possible. I'll take a quiet PC under load that runs 5 degrees hotter over a loud one that has cooler temps.

I'm planning on using the following:

CPU block: deciding between XSPC Raystorm or the Swiftech Apogee HD. I'm leaning a bit towards the apogee because it has a better mounting mechanism and I'm scared of breaking something on my PC while mounting.

GPU block: universal MCW82 block with ram and vrm heatsinks. I will have a fan directly across this to circulate the air. Also, since this gpu is voltage locked, I won't be over clocking it. Its stock speeds are 1000/1350, I believe.

Rad: I'm not fully sure about the radiator just yet. I'm thinking of using the XSPC RX 360. Would this be or should I also get a 140mm rad in between the CPU and GPU?

As for the pump/res, I'm thinking of getting the XSPC pump res combo.

for tubing, I'm really leaning towards copper tubing. To that end, I've already research that I'll need exactly 12mm OD copper tubes and the bitspower SLI fittings. Will this be secure enough to hold the copper tuning in place? Does home depot or lowes sell copper tubing that is compatible with fittings by Koolance? Would it be better if I went the Koolance fitting route because they'll be more secure?

thank you for help!
Dark Knight
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K MSI MPower z77 Will be waiting for the AMD 99XX series Corsair Vengeance (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Intel 520 180GB Venturing into Watercooling Max Keyboard Night Hawk X8 Seasonic X750 
CaseAudioAudio
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window sound blaster z sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Knight
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K MSI MPower z77 Will be waiting for the AMD 99XX series Corsair Vengeance (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Intel 520 180GB Venturing into Watercooling Max Keyboard Night Hawk X8 Seasonic X750 
CaseAudioAudio
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window sound blaster z sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 18
Doesn't look to bad, I'd lean toward an NZXT switch/900D or 800D for the case and a Corsair PSU. A word of warning to you about WC, fans running through radiators and the vibration/hum of a pump will be louder than straight air cooling.
Edited by TheLawIX - 5/13/13 at 2:39pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawIX View Post

Doesn't look to bad, I'd lean toward an NZXT switch/900D or 800D for the case and a Corsair PSU. A word of warning to you about WC, fans running through radiators and the vibration/hum of a pump will be louder than straight air cooling.
What's wrong with the Seasonic PSU? It's a great unit...
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotJaked View Post

What's wrong with the Seasonic PSU? It's a great unit...

I just prefer Corsair for peace of mind and fantastic warranty support.
post #5 of 18
most Corsair AX series PSU's are made by Seasonic (except the AX1200) Seasonic is one of the best PSU's out there, Also If you want a quiet PC try to cram in as many low FPI Rads as you can. the more space tyou have the slower you can run your fans and the low FPI rads perform best at low speeds. (the XSPC RX rads are an excellent choice thumb.gif )
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX-8320 ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 32GB 1600MHz Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Western Digital Green 2Tb Custom Loop 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2312HM Dell U2312HM Corsair AX1200 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX-8320 ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 32GB 1600MHz Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Western Digital Green 2Tb Custom Loop 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2312HM Dell U2312HM Corsair AX1200 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I actually already have that PC with the specs I've listed. I just want to water cool it by the end of summer. So, I will go with the RX 360 as well as a 140 to put in between the gpu and CPU.

the fan noise I'm not to concerned about. I can always adjust the speed using fan controller. One thing that does concern me, however, is the motor/pump noise. I've heard that the res/pump combos are usually very loud. So will I have to go with a separate res and pump?
Dark Knight
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K MSI MPower z77 Will be waiting for the AMD 99XX series Corsair Vengeance (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Intel 520 180GB Venturing into Watercooling Max Keyboard Night Hawk X8 Seasonic X750 
CaseAudioAudio
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window sound blaster z sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Knight
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K MSI MPower z77 Will be waiting for the AMD 99XX series Corsair Vengeance (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Intel 520 180GB Venturing into Watercooling Max Keyboard Night Hawk X8 Seasonic X750 
CaseAudioAudio
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window sound blaster z sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillarOfAutumn View Post

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I actually already have that PC with the specs I've listed. I just want to water cool it by the end of summer. So, I will go with the RX 360 as well as a 140 to put in between the gpu and CPU.

the fan noise I'm not to concerned about. I can always adjust the speed using fan controller. One thing that does concern me, however, is the motor/pump noise. I've heard that the res/pump combos are usually very loud. So will I have to go with a separate res and pump?

the reason res/pump combos are loud is that the vibrations from the pump can resonate through the reservoir. Get a D5 with speed adjustment, isolate it with enough foam and It will be pretty quiet, if not you can slow it down and it should be pretty silent.
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX-8320 ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 32GB 1600MHz Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Western Digital Green 2Tb Custom Loop 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2312HM Dell U2312HM Corsair AX1200 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX-8320 ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 Sapphire HD7950 OC 3GB 21196-00 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 32GB 1600MHz Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Western Digital Green 2Tb Custom Loop 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2312HM Dell U2312HM Corsair AX1200 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeelion View Post

the reason res/pump combos are loud is that the vibrations from the pump can resonate through the reservoir. Get a D5 with speed adjustment, isolate it with enough foam and It will be pretty quiet, if not you can slow it down and it should be pretty silent.
+1 to this. I've got my D5 at full speed attached to some foam. I literally can't hear it until I put my ear right next to it yessir.gif
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeelion View Post

the reason res/pump combos are loud is that the vibrations from the pump can resonate through the reservoir. Get a D5 with speed adjustment, isolate it with enough foam and It will be pretty quiet, if not you can slow it down and it should be pretty silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotJaked View Post

+1 to this. I've got my D5 at full speed attached to some foam. I literally can't hear it until I put my ear right next to it yessir.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeelion View Post

the reason res/pump combos are loud is that the vibrations from the pump can resonate through the reservoir. Get a D5 with speed adjustment, isolate it with enough foam and It will be pretty quiet, if not you can slow it down and it should be pretty silent.

thanks guys! I'm really new to water cooling. Can you please link me to a complete pump and housing?

also, since I will be using a 360mm rad and a 140mm rad, I should have the 360mm rad right before the the CPU and the 140 right before the gpu, is this correct? Would it be a waste to have the 360mm rad right before the res?
Dark Knight
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K MSI MPower z77 Will be waiting for the AMD 99XX series Corsair Vengeance (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Intel 520 180GB Venturing into Watercooling Max Keyboard Night Hawk X8 Seasonic X750 
CaseAudioAudio
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window sound blaster z sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Knight
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K MSI MPower z77 Will be waiting for the AMD 99XX series Corsair Vengeance (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Intel 520 180GB Venturing into Watercooling Max Keyboard Night Hawk X8 Seasonic X750 
CaseAudioAudio
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window sound blaster z sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillarOfAutumn View Post



thanks guys! I'm really new to water cooling. Can you please link me to a complete pump and housing?

also, since I will be using a 360mm rad and a 140mm rad, I should have the 360mm rad right before the the CPU and the 140 right before the gpu, is this correct? Would it be a waste to have the 360mm rad right before the res?
Loop order actually doesn't matter. The difference is usually less than 1c since the water is traveling so quickly. Do whatever makes your loop look the cleanest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Hows this watecooling setup?