Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › YES another one of these GTX 680 SLI vs TITAN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

YES another one of these GTX 680 SLI vs TITAN - Page 7

post #61 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devnant View Post

I have over 300 games. Most of them are okay with SLI, true, but the problems I´ve had with some of them is not what I would consider minor in any way. For instance:
- zero scaling with Bioshock Infinite, with minimums on the floor;
- flickering TRESSFX hair with Tomb Raider without VSYNC (some minor flickering even with VSYNC ON)
- lack of compatibility with War Thunder open beta (single forced)
- lack of compatibility with Arma 3 (single forced)

Just to name a few.
I have that problem even with a single Titan. Dont know why, but the hair flickers at times and at others, it disappears altogether.
But I'm not supporting multi-GPU solutions by any means. I have noticed it on other threads and I appreciate that you're actually speaking up and letting people know that SLI still has issues, unlike a lot of people who say that they dont have any problems with it.

Anyways, back to OP's question. I'm really surprised that only one person here has mentioned that the 700 series are only 8 days away. Why the hell are you people suggesting him to buy older tech like the 680/670 when he has already mentioned that he will not be upgrading in 4-6 years? I simply dont get it!

OP : Wait until the 700 series cards are launched. The 770 is an overclocked 680 with the cooling solution of a Titan and 770 SLI will definitely be much better than 680 SLI. But I'm strongly suggesting against this option.
What I would suggest is that you wait for the GTX 780 reviews and see how they perform. 780s will be cut-down Titans and will perform very close to Titans when they are overclocked. If a single 780 performs well enough according to your needs, then you can spend less than the price of a Titan or 680 SLI and still have a great experience. Plus, they'll definitely have more VRAM than 670s/680s, making it more future-proof than the 600 series cards.

Hopefully they will be priced at $599-$649, and you will be able to get even 780SLI (if you feel the need) for a few hundred more than what a 680 SLI will cost you now. You can get that few hundred by selling your 670. That way you can stay within your budget and still have the latest tech and the best performance.

To summarize - I'm strongly in support of getting newer tech and staying with single-GPU setups as long as I possibly can. I can explain why you should too, if you feel the need to know! thumb.gif
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devnant View Post

I have over 300 games. Most of them are okay with SLI, true, but the problems I´ve had with some of them is not what I would consider minor in any way. For instance:
- zero scaling with Bioshock Infinite, with minimums on the floor;
- flickering TRESSFX hair with Tomb Raider without VSYNC (some minor flickering even with VSYNC ON)
- lack of compatibility with War Thunder open beta (single forced)
- lack of compatibility with Arma 3 (single forced)

Just to name a few.

So 2 examples? Hardly a deal breaker. Can't list a beta game and an ALPHA game and say lack of compatibility.
post #63 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnafakeef View Post

I have that problem even with a single Titan. Dont know why, but the hair flickers at times and at others, it disappears altogether.
But I'm not supporting multi-GPU solutions by any means. I have noticed it on other threads and I appreciate that you're actually speaking up and letting people know that SLI still has issues, unlike a lot of people who say that they dont have any problems with it.

Anyways, back to OP's question. I'm really surprised that only one person here has mentioned that the 700 series are only 8 days away. Why the hell are you people suggesting him to buy older tech like the 680/670 when he has already mentioned that he will not be upgrading in 4-6 years? I simply dont get it!

OP : Wait until the 700 series cards are launched. The 770 is an overclocked 680 with the cooling solution of a Titan and 770 SLI will definitely be much better than 680 SLI. But I'm strongly suggesting against this option.
What I would suggest is that you wait for the GTX 780 reviews and see how they perform. 780s will be cut-down Titans and will perform very close to Titans when they are overclocked. If a single 780 performs well enough according to your needs, then you can spend less than the price of a Titan or 680 SLI and still have a great experience. Plus, they'll definitely have more VRAM than 670s/680s, making it more future-proof than the 600 series cards.

Hopefully they will be priced at $599-$649, and you will be able to get even 780SLI (if you feel the need) for a few hundred more than what a 680 SLI will cost you now. You can get that few hundred by selling your 670. That way you can stay within your budget and still have the latest tech and the best performance.

To summarize - I'm strongly in support of getting newer tech and staying with single-GPU setups as long as I possibly can. I can explain why you should too, if you feel the need to know! thumb.gif

SLI is pretty awesome. Much better than crossfire. But it´s simply not true that it´s problem free. At least not at launch/beta/alpha.

It´s pretty weird that you got flickering hair in a single GPU. Did you enable adaptive VSYNC? I played @ 1080p and @ 1440p with a single TITAN and TRESSFX was perfect.

As soon as I installed my second TITAN, the hair would flicker like crazy. I had to force VSYNC and triple buffer to make it better, and even so it still flickers in some cutscenes. But I definitely can´t play with adaptive VSYNC with dual GPUs.
post #64 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck3ls View Post

So 2 examples? Hardly a deal breaker. Can't list a beta game and an ALPHA game and say lack of compatibility.

It doesn´t matter if they are in alpha or beta, as long as they are playable, and you have to wait for SLI support. And I just named a few issues that I experienced recently. Hell, google "SLI issues" or "SLI problems" and you will find millions of results.

I know I will have more SLI headaches, but that was my own choice. I never deluded myself thinking SLI GPU = same thing as having a next gen GPU.
Edited by Devnant - 5/14/13 at 12:04pm
post #65 of 141
It's more challenging to google ANYTHING and not find millions of results. I have 670s SLI and have yet to have even 1 issue. Using SLI issues as a google search baseline is pretty pointless because early in its life yes it had TONS of issues.

Googling 680 SLI issue and sorting through incorrect installs or defective equipment I would wager like 10% or less are compatibility issues?
post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck3ls View Post

It's more challenging to google ANYTHING and not find millions of results. I have 670s SLI and have yet to have even 1 issue. Using SLI issues as a google search baseline is pretty pointless because early in its life yes it had TONS of issues.

Googling 680 SLI issue and sorting through incorrect installs or defective equipment I would wager like 10% or less are compatibility issues?

Good for you.

10% is still not 100%. And for granted, I know SLI is pretty good and all. I'm just telling the OP there are issues. Another GPU adds more complexity, and you are more dependent on driver support. Those 10% of compatibility issues may be bad for some, or minor for others, but as long as you don't regret your choice, that's fine.

SLI 670 is awesome.
A single TITAN is also awesome.

SLI 670 gives a little more raw strenght than a single TITAN, true, and with a better cost, but it has more problems, and more upgrade limits (after all, you get a choice to SLI the TITANs for a lower cost in the future).

Someone already said to the OP to just wait for the 770s and 780s, where the cost/performance relation will get better. And considering he pretends to stay with the GPU for another 4 years, that seems like the better choice.
post #67 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando666 View Post

You completely agree ,and you don't even have a Titan yet? I don't agree as my single Titan experience is no better than my previous sli
I experience. To each their own.

No I am agreeing to the fact of SLI is not perfect as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnafakeef View Post

I have that problem even with a single Titan. Dont know why, but the hair flickers at times and at others, it disappears altogether.
But I'm not supporting multi-GPU solutions by any means. I have noticed it on other threads and I appreciate that you're actually speaking up and letting people know that SLI still has issues, unlike a lot of people who say that they dont have any problems with it.

Anyways, back to OP's question. I'm really surprised that only one person here has mentioned that the 700 series are only 8 days away. Why the hell are you people suggesting him to buy older tech like the 680/670 when he has already mentioned that he will not be upgrading in 4-6 years? I simply dont get it!

OP : Wait until the 700 series cards are launched. The 770 is an overclocked 680 with the cooling solution of a Titan and 770 SLI will definitely be much better than 680 SLI. But I'm strongly suggesting against this option.
What I would suggest is that you wait for the GTX 780 reviews and see how they perform. 780s will be cut-down Titans and will perform very close to Titans when they are overclocked. If a single 780 performs well enough according to your needs, then you can spend less than the price of a Titan or 680 SLI and still have a great experience. Plus, they'll definitely have more VRAM than 670s/680s, making it more future-proof than the 600 series cards.

Hopefully they will be priced at $599-$649, and you will be able to get even 780SLI (if you feel the need) for a few hundred more than what a 680 SLI will cost you now. You can get that few hundred by selling your 670. That way you can stay within your budget and still have the latest tech and the best performance.

To summarize - I'm strongly in support of getting newer tech and staying with single-GPU setups as long as I possibly can. I can explain why you should too, if you feel the need to know! thumb.gif

it is only 8 days away for the release of the 700 series!! wow I did not catch this in previous posts. This completely changes my plans if so. The only reason why I was not going to wait was because I thought it was going to be around next year they release the new GPU's.

Yes getting the newer tech is much desired in my situation here. The resale value on the 670's and 680's will become trash after a year or so of the 700 series being out. Which in turn lured me to the TITAN even more. I do not mind having a few issues here and there with SLI builds seeing that it could be good practice for my studies trying to find solutions lol (software engineering), but I am also looking to see how much money I could potentially get out of this system when the time comes to buy a whole new system. I am no fan of either solution. I just want the best solution available right now, this month and next. no sooner or later.

I really want to just go ahead and SLI some 780's and be set to go maybe even 770's. If they are being released in 8days, then this is what I will be doing and will be cutting out all the new mouse, keyboard, headset, etc. Those things aren't essential. I could game with anything really but they are desired as well.
Edited by vaze159 - 5/14/13 at 3:31pm
post #68 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck3ls View Post

So 2 examples? Hardly a deal breaker. Can't list a beta game and an ALPHA game and say lack of compatibility.

please lets not start a war here on compatibility issues and so on. I am sure we all know pretty well by now the pros and cons of both worlds.
post #69 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devnant View Post

SLI is pretty awesome. Much better than crossfire. But it´s simply not true that it´s problem free. At least not at launch/beta/alpha.

It´s pretty weird that you got flickering hair in a single GPU. Did you enable adaptive VSYNC? I played @ 1080p and @ 1440p with a single TITAN and TRESSFX was perfect.

As soon as I installed my second TITAN, the hair would flicker like crazy. I had to force VSYNC and triple buffer to make it better, and even so it still flickers in some cutscenes. But I definitely can´t play with adaptive VSYNC with dual GPUs.
I did not change any setting in the nvidia control panel other than setting power settings to "prefer maximum performance". I had vSync and triple buffer enabled at all times from within the game.
I think it was due to the instability caused by the overclock to 1202MHz. I think everything went back to normal after I downclocked to 1150MHz.
I dont really know what settings to change in the nvidia control panel to get optimum performance. I'll look into it. Thanks! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaze159 View Post

it is only 8 days away for the release of the 700 series!! wow I did not catch this in previous posts. This completely changes my plans if so. The only reason why I was not going to wait was because I thought it was going to be around next year they release the new GPU's.

Yes getting the newer tech is much desired in my situation here. The resale value on the 670's and 680's will become trash after a year or so of the 700 series being out. Which in turn lured me to the TITAN even more. I do not mind having a few issues here and there with SLI builds seeing that it could be good practice for my studies trying to find solutions lol (software engineering), but I am also looking to see how much money I could potentially get out of this system when the time comes to buy a whole new system. I am no fan of either solution. I just want the best solution available right now, this month and next. no sooner or later.

I really want to just go ahead and SLI some 780's and be set to go maybe even 770's. If they are being released in 8days, then this is what I will be doing and will be cutting out all the new mouse, keyboard, headset, etc. Those things aren't essential. I could game with anything really but they are desired as well.
There have been a few threads in the news section about the release of the 700 series. Its not your fault but I think that more people should have suggested it to you and made you aware of it. Anyways, now that you know, you've done well in deciding to wait.
Its good that you want to learn by solving more issues, but you'd be wise to avoid them as much as you can. Trust me when I say that it takes a whole lot of work to get everything working perfectly, even without SLI issues being one of them.
I say that if you are using a 1080p 60Hz screen, get a 780 and be done with it for now. It should be plenty enough for current games. Then in the future when the price comes down and/or if you feel the requirement of more GPU power, get another and go SLI. This is what I think is the best option under the current circumstances and what I would suggest you to do. thumb.gif
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnafakeef View Post

I did not change any setting in the nvidia control panel other than setting power settings to "prefer maximum performance". I had vSync and triple buffer enabled at all times from within the game.
I think it was due to the instability caused by the overclock to 1202MHz. I think everything went back to normal after I downclocked to 1150MHz.
I dont really know what settings to change in the nvidia control panel to get optimum performance. I'll look into it. Thanks! smile.gif
There have been a few threads in the news section about the release of the 700 series. Its not your fault but I think that more people should have suggested it to you and made you aware of it. Anyways, now that you know, you've done well in deciding to wait.
Its good that you want to learn by solving more issues, but you'd be wise to avoid them as much as you can. Trust me when I say that it takes a whole lot of work to get everything working perfectly, even without SLI issues being one of them.
I say that if you are using a 1080p 60Hz screen, get a 780 and be done with it for now. It should be plenty enough for current games. Then in the future when the price comes down and/or if you feel the requirement of more GPU power, get another and go SLI. This is what I think is the best option under the current circumstances and what I would suggest you to do. thumb.gif

you do speak the truth on these matters, although all we can do is wait and see if what we hear about the 700 series is true. We will all know in a few days. If this comes out to be false, then I am probably just going to go ahead and get the TITAN. it performs very well in any game possible never going under 30 frames on any game out today. I do believe that SLI 670's is just a tiny bit better than the TITAN for 100 dollars less if you are looking at 4gbs so why have 2 when you can have one. Also. It would be the smartest decision when it comes down to selling and upgrading again. Sometimes people need to look past all the raw data and fps charts and think about how much money can you get out of your build when it does not satisfy your needs anymore.

a TITAN will hold its value, where as when the 700 series comes out, anybody who has upgraded to sli 670's or 680's will have the performance to last a very long time, but once that time is over, those cards will literally be trash with hardly any resale value. the 700 series will completely replace the 600 series in time, possibly a very short time at that. Some sites say that with the release of the 700 series, once the stock on all the 600 series cards are gone, thats it with them. only 700 from then on. which would make sense seeing that they match their 600 series partners with a little more performance and newer tech, giving the 600 series no reason to stick around for production. But who knows. Companies do weird things to make money

in the end, you would definitely get your moneys worth but you would get none of it back. Looking at the entire picture is key in making a decision to drop a grand or more on graphics.
Edited by vaze159 - 5/15/13 at 6:56pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › YES another one of these GTX 680 SLI vs TITAN