Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [notebookcheck] Review AMD A6-1450 APU "Temash"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[notebookcheck] Review AMD A6-1450 APU "Temash" - Page 9

post #81 of 96
Edit: OCN dun derp'd. I have no idea how Huddler passed validation but it just said I have 4 posts in a row (One in front of SCollins post) then proceeded to remove 2 of them while I was editing them, wat.
Edited by Brutuz - 5/18/13 at 7:54pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratesh View Post

I hope there's more to it than 3hrs as specified. Maybe a bigger battery. I honestly love the Idea of an X86 tablet, but not if its battery life is that horrible. At least 10 hrs and you have a die hard fan. thumb.gif
It's Acer. They have some of the worst designs for tablets and laptops in the industry, up there with cheap chinese knockoffs. I should know, my girlfriends family keeps buying the damn things and then asking me to fix them when they invariably break.

For reference, my girlfriends year old Llano APU based laptop already has a dying HDD and came with a dedicated GPU that is slower than the iGPU..I disabled the dedicated GPU to increase battery life and I'm getting my girlfriend to buy an SSD. (She has a 3TB external so space is irrelevant)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

It's Acer. They have some of the worst designs for tablets and laptops in the industry, up there with cheap chinese knockoffs. I should know, my girlfriends family keeps buying the damn things and then asking me to fix them when they invariably break.

For reference, my girlfriends year old Llano APU based laptop already has a dying HDD and came with a dedicated GPU that is slower than the iGPU..I disabled the dedicated GPU to increase battery life and I'm getting my girlfriend to buy an SSD. (She has a 3TB external so space is irrelevant)

well said. thumb.gif the notebookcheck review clearly mentions that "Turbo Dock is not available on the Aspire V5-122P". So the chip does not operate at 15W TDP as it should. Acer has designed a notebook with tablet chip specs and fitted it with a pathetic 30wh battery. Apple has a 43wH battery for their ipad 4. seriously what was Acer thinking with a 30wH notebook which has HDD and IPS screen. that is ridiculous.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/8

"The iPad mini features an integrated 16.3Wh battery, easily smaller than the 43Wh unit in the iPad 3/4 "

the specs of Kabini / Temash have been revealed in an indirect manner with the AMD G series SOC

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMDGSeriesSOCProductBrief.pdf

Quad core 2 Ghz with 600 Mhz GPU - 25w
Quad core 1.5 Ghz with 500 Mhz GPU - 15w

Temash has Jaguar quad core 1 Ghz with 300 Mhz GPU with a 8W TDP. single thread can turbo upto 1.4 Ghz. At 1.4 Ghz the single thread performance matches that of 1.7 Ghz Bobcat.So AMD has been able to achieve the same single thread performance of a 18w Brazos + 2 - 3W for southbridge within a 8W Temash SOC. Multithreaded performance matches that of a sandy core i3 (dual core + HT) . A 1.5 Ghz 15W Kabini matches a 1.5 ghz core i3 in multithread performance while drawing lesser power. Kabini 15w will be a good low power notebook chip.

Kabini at 1.5 Ghz should be used in 11.6 inch ultra thin notebooks and be priced at USD 399. Kabini at 2 Ghz should be used in 13.1 or 14 inch notebooks and priced at USD 449. If an OEM wants to push the price higher the first thing to be done is replace the HDD with a SSD and then maybe go for IPS screen. then its worth hitting USD 550 - 600 price point. But the battery should be of sufficient size such that atleast 8 - 10 hrs is achieved.

HP, Dell and Lenovo should come out with much better designs. I am looking forward to the successor of the HP DM1z which was a very well designed and successful product. thumb.gif
Edited by raghu78 - 5/18/13 at 10:08pm
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

well said. thumb.gif the notebookcheck review clearly mentions that "Turbo Dock is not available on the Aspire V5-122P". So the chip does not operate at 15W TDP as it should. Acer has designed a notebook with tablet chip specs and fitted it with a pathetic 30wh battery. Apple has a 43wH battery for their ipad 4. seriously what was Acer thinking with a 30wH notebook which has HDD and IPS screen. that is ridiculous.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/8

"The iPad mini features an integrated 16.3Wh battery, easily smaller than the 43Wh unit in the iPad 3/4 "

the specs of Kabini / Temash have been revealed in an indirect manner with the AMD G series SOC

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMDGSeriesSOCProductBrief.pdf

Quad core 2 Ghz with 600 Mhz GPU - 25w
Quad core 1.5 Ghz with 500 Mhz GPU - 15w

Temash has Jaguar quad core 1 Ghz with 300 Mhz GPU with a 8W TDP. single thread can turbo upto 1.4 Ghz. At 1.4 Ghz the single thread performance matches that of 1.7 Ghz Bobcat.So AMD has been able to achieve the same single thread performance of a 18w Brazos + 2 - 3W for southbridge within a 8W Temash SOC. Multithreaded performance matches that of a sandy core i3 (dual core + HT) . A 1.5 Ghz 15W Kabini matches a 1.5 ghz core i3 in multithread performance while drawing lesser power. Kabini 15w will be a good low power notebook chip.

Kabini at 1.5 Ghz should be used in 11.6 inch ultra thin notebooks and be priced at USD 399. Kabini at 2 Ghz should be used in 13.1 or 14 inch notebooks and priced at USD 449. If an OEM wants to push the price higher the first thing to be done is replace the HDD with a SSD and then maybe go for IPS screen. then its worth hitting USD 550 - 600 price point. But the battery should be of sufficient size such that atleast 8 - 10 hrs is achieved.

HP, Dell and Lenovo should come out with much better designs. I am looking forward to the successor of the HP DM1z which was a very well designed and successful product. thumb.gif


It seems ACER would cripple the AMD specs and made it to look weak, that stupid design.. Maybe they don`t care how much will sell with Temash in, cause they will sell enough with INTEL inside tongue.gif.
Edited by sorance2000 - 5/18/13 at 11:33pm
post #85 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

It's Acer. They have some of the worst designs for tablets and laptops in the industry, up there with cheap chinese knockoffs. I should know, my girlfriends family keeps buying the damn things and then asking me to fix them when they invariably break.

For reference, my girlfriends year old Llano APU based laptop already has a dying HDD and came with a dedicated GPU that is slower than the iGPU..I disabled the dedicated GPU to increase battery life and I'm getting my girlfriend to buy an SSD. (She has a 3TB external so space is irrelevant)

acer is pretty lame, i have no clue why people keep buying them when they could buy a cheap toshiba, asus etc and get something way more reliable
post #86 of 96
Thread Starter 
AMD's A6-1450 is a strong low power APU...

The problem is to maintain TDP and we are talking about 4 real cores that are great for multitasking. A6-1450 is primarily a APU for multitasking and programs that use more than 2 cores.
post #87 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirr View Post

AMD's A6-1450 is a strong low power APU...

The problem is to maintain TDP and we are talking about 4 real cores that are great for multitasking. A6-1450 is primarily a APU for multitasking and programs that use more than 2 cores.

yeah when i think of applications for budget pcs, i think professional software that can utilize multiple cores well
post #88 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

It's Acer. They have some of the worst designs for tablets and laptops in the industry, up there with cheap chinese knockoffs.

Aspire 1691WLMi begs to differ.

Back then people threw all sorts of crap to Acer. It lived SEVEN YEARS without a single issue. I replaced its hard drive because it was getting sluggish on its last year of life (after almost 6 years of 24/7 usage... What would you expect?).

One day, a year or so ago, it went away. Thing lived a good life. Only needed one Windows reinstall, and a couple of times I cleaned its HSF assembly and added new TIM.
   
AGP bencher
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 Sapphire HD 6950 2GiB 2x8GB KFA2 HOF DDR4-3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB Seagate 600 Series 240GB Seagate 7200.14 2TB Samsung F3 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB Supreme HF XSPC Rasa GPU EK XT360 EK 4.0 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W10 Pro LG IPS235 LG E2250V KUL ES-87 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SF Leadex II 650W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G9 Xonar DX 
AudioAudio
SMSL SA-S3+Technics CB-250 Sennheiser HD555 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-5700 Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2 G.SKILL Ares 2133 CL9 Hitachi 5K750 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Momentus .7 200GB Noctua NH-L9a Server 2012 R2 Standard AUO B156HW01 
PowerCaseOther
PicoPSU-80-WI-25V AIO Aluminium Handmade TP-Link Archer Something Something Wi-Fi AC 
CPUCPUCPUMotherboard
Core2Duo E6400 Core2Quad Q6600 Pentium Dual Core E5200 AsRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2.0 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
A dumpload of ancient AGP cards Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4 2T @CL3 1T Seagate 160GB 7200.10 LG IDE DVD-ROM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ghettomade CPU waterblock 49cc 2stroke engine copper radiator WinXP SP2 32bit ProView 17" 
PowerCase
Tacens Radix V 550W Ghetto aluminium bench 
  hide details  
Reply
   
AGP bencher
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 Sapphire HD 6950 2GiB 2x8GB KFA2 HOF DDR4-3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB Seagate 600 Series 240GB Seagate 7200.14 2TB Samsung F3 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB Supreme HF XSPC Rasa GPU EK XT360 EK 4.0 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
W10 Pro LG IPS235 LG E2250V KUL ES-87 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SF Leadex II 650W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G9 Xonar DX 
AudioAudio
SMSL SA-S3+Technics CB-250 Sennheiser HD555 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-5700 Gigabyte F2A75M-HD2 G.SKILL Ares 2133 CL9 Hitachi 5K750 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Momentus .7 200GB Noctua NH-L9a Server 2012 R2 Standard AUO B156HW01 
PowerCaseOther
PicoPSU-80-WI-25V AIO Aluminium Handmade TP-Link Archer Something Something Wi-Fi AC 
CPUCPUCPUMotherboard
Core2Duo E6400 Core2Quad Q6600 Pentium Dual Core E5200 AsRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2.0 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
A dumpload of ancient AGP cards Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4 2T @CL3 1T Seagate 160GB 7200.10 LG IDE DVD-ROM 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Ghettomade CPU waterblock 49cc 2stroke engine copper radiator WinXP SP2 32bit ProView 17" 
PowerCase
Tacens Radix V 550W Ghetto aluminium bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 96
ive been looking at these for the last few months. looks like i might finally get my self a win 8 tablet. hoping this drives up AMD stock also. hehehehe:)
Storm Assassin
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 c3 3.2 GHZ MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX Radeon 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 400gb SATA-II 7200RPM Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 23" LG 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Antec High Current Gamer 750 Watt Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer Abyssus 
  hide details  
Reply
Storm Assassin
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 c3 3.2 GHZ MSI 790FX-GD70 XFX Radeon 6870 CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 400gb SATA-II 7200RPM Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 23" LG 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Antec High Current Gamer 750 Watt Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer Abyssus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 96
CPU bottlenecks are extremely frustrating, especially in notebooks. Since it's rare that you can OC notebook processors if you have a CPU bottleneck with a game your screwed. With a GPU bottleneck all you need to do is lower the graphical settings and you are golden. This is the connundrum I have with my m11x r1.
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [notebookcheck] Review AMD A6-1450 APU "Temash"