New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Solaris 10 NIC

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Uh..... doh.gif

It has been a while since me setting up a Solaris machine (before Oracle bought Sun) and I just recently got an old lappy for free from a friend (HP G60-120US) and planned on creating a fourth email server for me to just tinker with and test things out. But... I am unsure of how I could set up the NIC in this lappy under Solaris. No clue where to even start. "Ethernet controller" shows up as 'pci103c,360a' and "Network Controller" shows as 'pci103c,1381'. Don't know what I could/should do now, so any sharing of intelligence will be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
It's in pieces
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-970@4.4 EVGA Classified3 5870x3 Corsair Dom 12gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Everything on 201tb nas nothing Koolance CPU-370 hwlabs sr-1 420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
hwlabs gtx120 hwlabs gts 360 xflow ek fc5870 nickel+acetalx3 changes 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
crap model m, 6gv2, k95, wasd, code v2, model f Changes MM 
MouseMouse PadOther
mionix avior 7000 zowie g25 wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
It's in pieces
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-970@4.4 EVGA Classified3 5870x3 Corsair Dom 12gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Everything on 201tb nas nothing Koolance CPU-370 hwlabs sr-1 420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
hwlabs gtx120 hwlabs gts 360 xflow ek fc5870 nickel+acetalx3 changes 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
crap model m, 6gv2, k95, wasd, code v2, model f Changes MM 
MouseMouse PadOther
mionix avior 7000 zowie g25 wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
Just curious, why Solaris?
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle View Post

Uh..... doh.gif

It has been a while since me setting up a Solaris machine (before Oracle bought Sun) and I just recently got an old lappy for free from a friend (HP G60-120US) and planned on creating a fourth email server for me to just tinker with and test things out. But... I am unsure of how I could set up the NIC in this lappy under Solaris. No clue where to even start. "Ethernet controller" shows up as 'pci103c,360a' and "Network Controller" shows as 'pci103c,1381'. Don't know what I could/should do now, so any sharing of intelligence will be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

You set it up pretty much the same way you would with Linux.

What are you seeing when you run: ifconfig -a
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post

Just curious, why Solaris?

It's an enterprise grade OS - super stable. And runs many cool stuff that Linux doesn't, such as ZFS, ztrace and zones (though in the case of the latter two, there are Linux equivalents).

My only problem with Solaris is that Oracle now own it. Before then, I used to prefer it to running Linux on many servers.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

It's an enterprise grade OS - super stable. And runs many cool stuff that Linux doesn't, such as ZFS, ztrace and zones (though in the case of the latter two, there are Linux equivalents).

My only problem with Solaris is that Oracle now own it. Before then, I used to prefer it to running Linux on many servers.

Why not FreeBSD? It has zfs and jails (far superior to zones IMHO) I don't know what the equivalent to ztrace is but I'm sure there is one. FreeBSD is also very stable, and you don't have to deal with svcadm and that xml based service management Crap.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

It's an enterprise grade OS - super stable. And runs many cool stuff that Linux doesn't, such as ZFS, ztrace and zones (though in the case of the latter two, there are Linux equivalents).
Yes, I knew these things. I suppose my question should have been:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixalot View Post

Why not FreeBSD? It has zfs and jails (far superior to zones IMHO) I don't know what the equivalent to ztrace is but I'm sure there is one. FreeBSD is also very stable, and you don't have to deal with svcadm and that xml based service management Crap.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixalot View Post

Why not FreeBSD? It has zfs and jails (far superior to zones IMHO) I don't know what the equivalent to ztrace is but I'm sure there is one. FreeBSD is also very stable, and you don't have to deal with svcadm and that xml based service management Crap.

Funny enough my Solaris boxes were switched over to FreeBSD after Sun's acquisition.

Anyway, the answer is still the same; "why not?". You guys are talking as if Solaris is a bad choice for server OS, and that simply isn't true. All you're really arguing is a matter of personal preference.

(re ZFS, Solaris has a later version of ZFS, which includes encryption)
post #8 of 13
I just think Solaris is a bad choice for a home server OS.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post

I just think Solaris is a bad choice for a home server OS.

What difference does it matter whether this box is sat at his home or in a datacenter? It's still a mail server and still needs setting up the same bloody way. And if you read his question, he clear states this is a test system anyway, so it's not even a home server.

So can we now drop these stupid arguments over personal preferences and get back to the topic at hand?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

What difference does it matter whether this box is sat at his home or in a datacenter? It's still a mail server and still needs setting up the same bloody way. And if you read his question, he clear states this is a test system anyway, so it's not even a home server.

So can we now drop these stupid arguments over personal preferences and get back to the topic at hand?
sure. I was just curious but as you said its personal preference. I admin Solaris servers for my day job but I much prefer freebsd over Solaris and Linux for servers, that's why my home servers and firewall are freebsd. But to the topic at hand, here's a blog post that goes over the basic network setup for Solaris 10 that should get you going. http://tazlambert.wordpress.com/2008/07/18/basic-networking-in-solaris-10/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix