Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Xeon vs. Opteron in a Linux environment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xeon vs. Opteron in a Linux environment

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I heard some talk about how FX series was outperforming the Intel i7's in a Gentoo linux environment: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_fx8350_visherabdver2&num=1

I was posting to get some insight if this is a universal thing with FX and linux or only limited to building Gentoo from the ground up to work with FX. I am building a new server cluster and am trying to decide between Opteron and Xeon processors. Our budget is limited, but I am trying to get the best bang for the buck with acceptable performance. The program will not be parallel - only single threaded. However, there will be potentially hundreds of single threads running at one time, so the more cores the better which is why the Opterons look like a better value. The i7 xeons look they completely destroy the opterons in single threads though - is this the same with Windows + Linux or is it completely dependent on the software I am using?
post #2 of 16
The advantage in a Linux platform is the scheduler works much better with Fx chips than the Windows one, thats why people see more performance with *Nix

Sorry I cant answer the question fully, just wanted you to be aware of this smile.gif
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3st3r View Post

I heard some talk about how FX series was outperforming the Intel i7's in a Gentoo linux environment: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_fx8350_visherabdver2&num=1

I was posting to get some insight if this is a universal thing with FX and linux or only limited to building Gentoo from the ground up to work with FX. I am building a new server cluster and am trying to decide between Opteron and Xeon processors. Our budget is limited, but I am trying to get the best bang for the buck with acceptable performance. The program will not be parallel - only single threaded. However, there will be potentially hundreds of single threads running at one time, so the more cores the better which is why the Opterons look like a better value. The i7 xeons look they completely destroy the opterons in single threads though - is this the same with Windows + Linux or is it completely dependent on the software I am using?

I'm pretty sure the guys need you to state what the program/software is so they can get the full picture and provide you with more than just a generic answer. And as far as I know (which isn't saying much) if you want the fullest out of any of the CPU options you have you should be doing the Gentoo or similar ground up custom compile work. Finally, as much as I love AMD stuff...if this is single threaded work (even multiple) I would figure that the Intel still have the edge.

The others in this section (and possibly the actual coding section) should be able to answer things with more certainty.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
I would go Opteron and splurge on the RAM rather than go Xeon and be stuck making the best of the remaining budget, but that's just me. If your application is single threaded, I doubt you'd save much time with a Xeon anyway but there's a clear benefit to more cores.
Black & Green
(12 items)
 
Dev Box
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core2 Duo E7400 Asus P5Q Hyper-X  Sandisk 
OSPower
Fedora 22 Thermaltake 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Black & Green
(12 items)
 
Dev Box
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core2 Duo E7400 Asus P5Q Hyper-X  Sandisk 
OSPower
Fedora 22 Thermaltake 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3st3r View Post

I heard some talk about how FX series was outperforming the Intel i7's in a Gentoo linux environment: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_fx8350_visherabdver2&num=1

I was posting to get some insight if this is a universal thing with FX and linux or only limited to building Gentoo from the ground up to work with FX. I am building a new server cluster and am trying to decide between Opteron and Xeon processors. Our budget is limited, but I am trying to get the best bang for the buck with acceptable performance. The program will not be parallel - only single threaded. However, there will be potentially hundreds of single threads running at one time, so the more cores the better which is why the Opterons look like a better value. The i7 xeons look they completely destroy the opterons in single threads though - is this the same with Windows + Linux or is it completely dependent on the software I am using?

I'm confused, this software is single threaded and you're not running this program in parallel but there will be hundreds of threads? That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Can you elaborate a little please? smile.gif
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I'm confused, this software is single threaded and you're not running this program in parallel but there will be hundreds of threads? That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Can you elaborate a little please? smile.gif

So essentially it will compromise of hundreds of single threaded 'sister' applications running under the management of a parent application. So one program 'x' will tell hundreds of 'y' to analyze real time traffic. When 'x' says stop, they stop. If 'x' says half of you guys work on this network, other half do this etc. The 'y' sister applications are completely single threaded and do not work with other sister applications, they only respond to the parent 'x' app.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3st3r View Post

So essentially it will compromise of hundreds of single threaded 'sister' applications running under the management of a parent application. So one program 'x' will tell hundreds of 'y' to analyze real time traffic. When 'x' says stop, they stop. If 'x' says half of you guys work on this network, other half do this etc. The 'y' sister applications are completely single threaded and do not work with other sister applications, they only respond to the parent 'x' app.

Right I get you. That makes a lot more sense then smile.gif
post #8 of 16
I don't understand .. you say "server cluster" (what is that?) and then you post a comparison between two (cheap) desktop class processors...

either one of those is going to have trouble running a few hundred threads of code (depends on the workload of each thread of course! likely IO bound)

you'll probably want to look at the server class chips for your "cluster". We use the supermicro boards at work with the E5s. I would think the 2687w would eat your workload without even stopping to chew it.
stable again
(25 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
E5-2687W E5-2687W ASUS Z9PED8-WS EVGA GTX 570 (Linux host) 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 970 FTW (win7 guest) 64GB G.SKILL 2133 2x Crucial M4 256GB raid1 4x 3TB raid 10 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Apogee HD  2x RX 480 2x MCP 655 RP-452x2 rev2 (new) 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
16x Cougar Turbine CFT12SB4 (new) EK FC 580 Gentoo (host) Gentoo (x23 guests) 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
windows 7 (guest w/ vfio-pci) Viewsonic 23" 1080P Viewsonic 19" Antec HCP Platinum 1000 (new) 
CaseOtherOther
Case Labs TH10 (still the best ever) 2x Lamptron FC-5 IOGEAR 2 way DVI KVM Switch 
  hide details  
Reply
stable again
(25 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
E5-2687W E5-2687W ASUS Z9PED8-WS EVGA GTX 570 (Linux host) 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 970 FTW (win7 guest) 64GB G.SKILL 2133 2x Crucial M4 256GB raid1 4x 3TB raid 10 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x Apogee HD  2x RX 480 2x MCP 655 RP-452x2 rev2 (new) 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
16x Cougar Turbine CFT12SB4 (new) EK FC 580 Gentoo (host) Gentoo (x23 guests) 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
windows 7 (guest w/ vfio-pci) Viewsonic 23" 1080P Viewsonic 19" Antec HCP Platinum 1000 (new) 
CaseOtherOther
Case Labs TH10 (still the best ever) 2x Lamptron FC-5 IOGEAR 2 way DVI KVM Switch 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd mcclendon View Post

I don't understand .. you say "server cluster" (what is that?) and then you post a comparison between two (cheap) desktop class processors...

either one of those is going to have trouble running a few hundred threads of code (depends on the workload of each thread of course! likely IO bound)

you'll probably want to look at the server class chips for your "cluster". We use the supermicro boards at work with the E5s. I would think the 2687w would eat your workload without even stopping to chew it.

Dude did you even read the title of this thread?
post #10 of 16
This debate is stupid. The performance of each processor is entirely workload dependent. Highly scale-able multi-threaded code will execute with higher performance on AMD based systems, provided that the workload is not heavily memory intensive... Intel will win in ANY memory intensive application, and in almost any single threaded application, particularly those that leverage AVX. Period. Server or not.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 4.2ghz HT (1.3625v) Asus R3E 2xGTX 460 (non SLi, no overclock) 6x2gb G.skill @ 6-8-6-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD-VR 300GBx1, 2xWD 1tb,2x60gb Agility Some crappy combo burner... Arch x64 3xDell U2410f rev A02 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor U9BL TT Toughpower 1200w (NTB more efficient) Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 CYO Roccat Kone (R.I.P. A4Tech x7) 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad Experience I-1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0 4.2ghz HT (1.3625v) Asus R3E 2xGTX 460 (non SLi, no overclock) 6x2gb G.skill @ 6-8-6-24-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD-VR 300GBx1, 2xWD 1tb,2x60gb Agility Some crappy combo burner... Arch x64 3xDell U2410f rev A02 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor U9BL TT Toughpower 1200w (NTB more efficient) Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 CYO Roccat Kone (R.I.P. A4Tech x7) 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad Experience I-1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Xeon vs. Opteron in a Linux environment