Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Using a broken H100i for a custom loop.... Help maybe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Using a broken H100i for a custom loop.... Help maybe? - Page 2

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by helhound0 View Post

That looks nice. yes

Why not just get another H100 then if you are going to buy a whole new AIO?

I thought the purpose was to do a custom loop while re-using the h100 radiator?
Megalith
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 evga gtx 780 Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Green Seagate Barricuda Crucial M4 Acer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Koolance CPU-380I Windows 7 Ultimate x64 23" HP LCD Corsair K90 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X Series X650 Gold Fractal Design Define XL Logitech MX518 Steelseries QCK+ 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I3 2120 ASROCK Z77M HD 6450 Samsung Low Profile DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitor
Crucial M4 Noctua NH-L12 42" 1080i 
  hide details  
Reply
Megalith
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 evga gtx 780 Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Green Seagate Barricuda Crucial M4 Acer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Koolance CPU-380I Windows 7 Ultimate x64 23" HP LCD Corsair K90 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X Series X650 Gold Fractal Design Define XL Logitech MX518 Steelseries QCK+ 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I3 2120 ASROCK Z77M HD 6450 Samsung Low Profile DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitor
Crucial M4 Noctua NH-L12 42" 1080i 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 27
the h100 uses 1/4" id hose/tubing. the od of the h100 is 9/16". i assume they used 5/16" id tubing on the h100i. using that h100i rad would only save you maybe $50 usd. buy a new rad that would perform as it should. corsair rads are made for the use of that block/pump combo. they dont flow that much water very fast.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

the h100 uses 1/4" id hose/tubing. the od of the h100 is 9/16". i assume they used 5/16" id tubing on the h100i. using that h100i rad would only save you maybe $50 usd. buy a new rad that would perform as it should. corsair rads are made for the use of that block/pump combo. they dont flow that much water very fast.

Not only that.. but the rad is made of aluminum. The block is made of nickle plated copper, and if i recall, aluminum and copper dont play nice together..

I have that block smile.gif
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim427 View Post

Why not just get another H100 then if you are going to buy a whole new AIO?

I thought the purpose was to do a custom loop while re-using the h100 radiator?

The purpose is to use the rad from the H100i. As i said, i need a res, pump, tubing and other components to complete a loop to cool my CPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

the h100 uses 1/4" id hose/tubing. the od of the h100 is 9/16". i assume they used 5/16" id tubing on the h100i. using that h100i rad would only save you maybe $50 usd. buy a new rad that would perform as it should. corsair rads are made for the use of that block/pump combo. they dont flow that much water very fast.

True. But i decided to stick with what i had because my casing won't fit anything larger than 240mm, and it seemed like there's no point wasting money on a new one since i had the rad from the H100i. Besides, that 190 dollars i spent on an H100i would be a waste if i didn't put it to use somehow. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

Not only that.. but the rad is made of aluminum. The block is made of nickle plated copper, and if i recall, aluminum and copper dont play nice together..

I have that block smile.gif

I noticed it too when i removed the tubing. Even the fittings were made with aluminum.
post #15 of 27
ok put it this way:
the corsair rads have super narrow tubes. those rads are designed and made for low pressure and low flow coolant pumping. a real water cooling pump may likely cause problems. you also have the problem of aluminum and copper and brass in the same system which will cause corrosion.
no matter what, you wasted money buying the h100i and removing stuff a.k.a. breaking it.. now you think you will save money by using the rad in a custom loop? use that 'wasted money' as a learning experience. it will serve you better than gaining more learning experience from using that rad.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 27
http://www.swiftech.com/apogeedrive2.aspx
why not try this?
it has strong pump and you can add gpu blocks and radiators later on if you want to expand your loop.

http://www.swiftech.com/mcresmicrorev2reservoir.aspx
this reservoir is just cheap and functional, they are easy to hide too.
THE HTPC
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800k Asus F2A85-M/CSM ?integrated? G.Skill Ripjaws 4gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500gb 2.5" Sata Seagate 1.5tb 3.5" Sata Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung 55" 240hz 3D LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800 Corsair CX 430M(now gone), used tx650 Silverstone ML03B BELKIN Microsoft mouse 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMRAM
Samsung 300ExA Intel HD Graphics 3000 Samsung DDR3 SO-DIMM 4gb Samsung DDR3 SO-DIMM 2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Samsung DVD Samsung low profile 2 heatpipe cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 1366*768 60hz 15.6" monitor Samsung laptop keyboard with numeric keypad Random Samsung Power supply Random gray/black samsung laptop case 
Mouse PadAudio
Samsung/Elan multi touch trackpad Random Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
THE HTPC
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800k Asus F2A85-M/CSM ?integrated? G.Skill Ripjaws 4gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500gb 2.5" Sata Seagate 1.5tb 3.5" Sata Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung 55" 240hz 3D LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800 Corsair CX 430M(now gone), used tx650 Silverstone ML03B BELKIN Microsoft mouse 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMRAM
Samsung 300ExA Intel HD Graphics 3000 Samsung DDR3 SO-DIMM 4gb Samsung DDR3 SO-DIMM 2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Samsung DVD Samsung low profile 2 heatpipe cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 1366*768 60hz 15.6" monitor Samsung laptop keyboard with numeric keypad Random Samsung Power supply Random gray/black samsung laptop case 
Mouse PadAudio
Samsung/Elan multi touch trackpad Random Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

ok put it this way:
the corsair rads have super narrow tubes. those rads are designed and made for low pressure and low flow coolant pumping. a real water cooling pump may likely cause problems. you also have the problem of aluminum and copper and brass in the same system which will cause corrosion.
no matter what, you wasted money buying the h100i and removing stuff a.k.a. breaking it.. now you think you will save money by using the rad in a custom loop? use that 'wasted money' as a learning experience. it will serve you better than gaining more learning experience from using that rad.

Is that so. I didn't know that. In-fact, this will be my first watercooled system if i made it. So i had no clue.
Anyway, i would much appreciate if you can suggest components for it then. A good AM3+ compatible CPU block, a 240mm Rad, a cylindric res and an adequate pump. Also, i will cool two AMD cards (i'm thinking of picking up volc-isles later)

Help me out here ^_^

(oh and btw, i know it's hard to cool a CPU and two graphics card with only a 240mm rad. I will pick a 360 when i buy the cards. So for now, i'll be fine with a 240)
Edited by helhound0 - 5/18/13 at 8:40am
post #18 of 27
rule of thumb is 120 rad space for each component plus a 120 for overhead to good decent temps. 2 gpu plus cpu plus overhead is 480 of rad space. you can get by with a 360 but you'll have high temp issues. in warmer climates, this will be worse.
what case are you using? what is your budget right now for needed parts? where will you order from? all 3 of these are important to get good and accurate answers.

do you know any pc nerds where you live? you may be able to sell them your h100 remnants for a few dollars and it not be a total loss. just wanted to throw out a suggestions.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by helhound0 View Post

Is that so. I didn't know that. In-fact, this will be my first watercooled system if i made it. So i had no clue.
Anyway, i would much appreciate if you can suggest components for it then. A good AM3+ compatible CPU block, a 240mm Rad, a cylindric res and an adequate pump. Also, i will cool two AMD cards (i'm thinking of picking up volc-isles later)

Help me out here ^_^

(oh and btw, i know it's hard to cool a CPU and two graphics card with only a 240mm rad. I will pick a 360 when i buy the cards. So for now, i'll be fine with a 240)

the koolance block will suit you fine, however i still reccomend not using anything from the h100i unless its something like adding a res, while keepingthe same pump/block and rad.

I think most people here lean towards xspc, HWLabs or alphacool. I would grab your biggest rad first (360 i guess) incase you decide later that you dont want 2 gpus and only need to cool one.
post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

rule of thumb is 120 rad space for each component plus a 120 for overhead to good decent temps. 2 gpu plus cpu plus overhead is 480 of rad space. you can get by with a 360 but you'll have high temp issues. in warmer climates, this will be worse.
what case are you using? what is your budget right now for needed parts? where will you order from? all 3 of these are important to get good and accurate answers.

do you know any pc nerds where you live? you may be able to sell them your h100 remnants for a few dollars and it not be a total loss. just wanted to throw out a suggestions.

My casing is Corsair 550D. That fits a 240 on top and a 120 on the back. But i can mod it to fit a 360 in the bottom. But that i will do later. I don't quite know about the general costs for water cooling components, so i couldn't accurately say this is my budget. All i know is, i can't go super high end. Like that Apogee gold one linus used. I'd say 70USD max for one component.

I will be buying the components off Ebay, Amazon and Newegg (mainly amazon) And no, while there are many computer nerds here, there is no one that had done a WC loop as far as i know. frown.gif So i'm on my own here.

And your suggestions are much appreciated. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

the koolance block will suit you fine, however i still reccomend not using anything from the h100i unless its something like adding a res, while keepingthe same pump/block and rad.

I think most people here lean towards xspc, HWLabs or alphacool. I would grab your biggest rad first (360 i guess) incase you decide later that you dont want 2 gpus and only need to cool one.

Yeah, i decided not to use the rad from the h100i. But for now, all i can do is to get a 240 alone, because i will be making necessary upgrades to the loop when i get the cards. tongue.gif And it's not like i could grab the cards the day after it's launched. It would take a good two months for local shops to have them here. So i have about 8-10 months to collect for a better loop. (already am collecting for the cards. That's why i'm on a tight budget)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Using a broken H100i for a custom loop.... Help maybe?