Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Installed new Seagate 3TB drive and now PC won't boot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Installed new Seagate 3TB drive and now PC won't boot. - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post

Also now that the drive is out of the case and in the enclosure I can hear it making some pretty unusual sounds when it is powered on. It makes some whirring followed by 2 ticks and a little more whirring and then goes quiet.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-cameron-5/seagate-hdd

I have seen it where a defective drive prevents the system from booting. Maybe the hdd is bad.....bummer When you say, "doesn't show up in windows" you have to go into Drive Management to initialize it. Does it show up in Drive Management?
P67A-UD4-B3
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
P67A-UD4-B3
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Several motherboards required a driver to be able to boot with drives over 2TB, my motherboard included. You may want to check for a similar driver on your mobo manufacturers driver section?
OnEMoReTrY
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i5-2500k Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 7950 Crucial M4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Black Seagate Western Digital DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ Windows 7 ASUS VH236H Filco Majestouch 
PowerMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair VX550W Logitech G400 SteelSeries QCK+ ATH-A900 
  hide details  
Reply
OnEMoReTrY
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i5-2500k Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 7950 Crucial M4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Black Seagate Western Digital DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ Windows 7 ASUS VH236H Filco Majestouch 
PowerMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair VX550W Logitech G400 SteelSeries QCK+ ATH-A900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood406 View Post

I have seen it where a defective drive prevents the system from booting. Maybe the hdd is bad.....bummer When you say, "doesn't show up in windows" you have to go into Drive Management to initialize it. Does it show up in Drive Management?
When I plug the enclosure in via USB it should come up with a popup saying it recognized a new device and it is installing software. When I plug it in nothing pops up as if I just plugged in the enclosure with no drive in it. Also the drive does not show up in the drive manager.
post #14 of 23
Upon looking into your motherboard model, it does NOT support over 2TB drives by default, you need to update the SATA driver http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO/#support_Download_30
OnEMoReTrY
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i5-2500k Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 7950 Crucial M4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Black Seagate Western Digital DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ Windows 7 ASUS VH236H Filco Majestouch 
PowerMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair VX550W Logitech G400 SteelSeries QCK+ ATH-A900 
  hide details  
Reply
OnEMoReTrY
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i5-2500k Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 7950 Crucial M4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Black Seagate Western Digital DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ Windows 7 ASUS VH236H Filco Majestouch 
PowerMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair VX550W Logitech G400 SteelSeries QCK+ ATH-A900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnEMoReTrY View Post

Upon looking into your motherboard model, it does NOT support over 2TB drives by default, you need to update the SATA driver http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO/#support_Download_30
I have the Intel RST Driver version 11.2.0.1006. I don't even see that listed on that page. Do you know where I can find a log to see when they added in the large hard drive support so I can see if my version is good enough?
post #16 of 23
Check this thread out from [H] forums.

P8P67

Have you tried a different port like one of the other posters suggested?
P67A-UD4-B3
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
P67A-UD4-B3
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #17 of 23
So if you hit Windows Key+R, type in "compmgmt.msc" without the quotes, hit enter, click on Disk Management, the drive doesn't show up there? Do you get a message saying something like "disk 2 needs to be initialized"? Because typically with a new drive you will have to initialize the drive and format it.
If your system does not boot at all, as in does not even complete POST, with the drive plugged into a SATA port and it not showing up at all, not even in Disk Management, then the drive is probably bad. Otherwise you just have not initialized the disk.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

So if you hit Windows Key+R, type in "compmgmt.msc" without the quotes, hit enter, click on Disk Management, the drive doesn't show up there? Do you get a message saying something like "disk 2 needs to be initialized"? Because typically with a new drive you will have to initialize the drive and format it.
If your system does not boot at all, as in does not even complete POST, with the drive plugged into a SATA port and it not showing up at all, not even in Disk Management, then the drive is probably bad. Otherwise you just have not initialized the disk.
Yeah every time I tried to boot the system with the drive plugged in (to any port) it would hang on the Windows logo so I never got a chance to see the disk management console within Windows. On that same note every time I tried to boot without the drive plugged in the system started fine. I tried booting with the SATA cable unplugged and then plugging it in after the system was booted, and the drive still did not show up.

I also noticed when the little parts of the Windows logo come together they stuttered and were moving slowly if that means anything. Usually they move fluidly and quick.

One more interesting thing I noticed is that the shipping label on this box is different than all my other Newegg boxes. The address is still the same (it said 9997 Rose Hills Rd. in CA, even though it was sent from their warehouse in Memphis, TN) but the sender on this box was named "Customer Service" rather than every other box which simply said Newegg. It makes me think that they sent me someone else's RMA...
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post

Yeah every time I tried to boot the system with the drive plugged in (to any port) it would hang on the Windows logo so I never got a chance to see the disk management console within Windows. On that same note every time I tried to boot without the drive plugged in the system started fine. I tried booting with the SATA cable unplugged and then plugging it in after the system was booted, and the drive still did not show up.

I also noticed when the little parts of the Windows logo come together they stuttered and were moving slowly if that means anything. Usually they move fluidly and quick.

One more interesting thing I noticed is that the shipping label on this box is different than all my other Newegg boxes. The address is still the same (it said 9997 Rose Hills Rd. in CA, even though it was sent from their warehouse in Memphis, TN) but the sender on this box was named "Customer Service" rather than every other box which simply said Newegg. It makes me think that they sent me someone else's RMA...

Yup, sounds right to me. I work IT and with the symptoms you describe there is no doubt in my mind you got a bad drive. Try Newegg's chat support, I am sure you can get a good resolution.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

Yup, sounds right to me. I work IT and with the symptoms you describe there is no doubt in my mind you got a bad drive. Try Newegg's chat support, I am sure you can get a good resolution.
Yeah I will try I guess but I am already pretty annoyed that they don't cross-ship and I am responsible for shipping costs... I understand it isn't their merchandise so they aren't responsible if it defective. Maybe I would have better luck dealing with Seagate specifically?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Installed new Seagate 3TB drive and now PC won't boot.