Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VC] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Pictured Up Close (Gallery)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VC] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Pictured Up Close (Gallery) - Page 81  

post #801 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch10 View Post

To be honest, I have no clue. This whole thing with the Titan being $1000 really makes a mess of it all because the low end and the high end can be justified.

The 780 should be priced rom $500-$600 because:

1) Traditionally new gen cards are priced there (7970 was $550 on release and the 680 was $500 a few months after).

2) The 770 (every card 10 below) is traditionally less than the top (780) by about $100 and then less every 10 step. However, the 770 is simply a rebranded 680 as far as we can see with some minor improvement (almost the difference between a 670 and a 680 at stock). So, if the 780 were priced at $700 or more like some people are speculating and rumors are showing, the price difference between the 780 and 770 would be quite large since the 770 should be at most $500 and even that is a little much.


But, you can make an argument for the 780 being around $650-$750 because:

1) We're expecting around the performance difference between the 580 and 680 here, but the Titan is approximately 30-40% better than the 680. If we price the 780 at it's performance level, it should be around the $650-$750 level.

2) Without the competition coming in what seems like until after 2013, Nvidia can really get away with charging with what they please until there is a price war between them and AMD. The 7970 MSRP'd at $550 with custom versions being $600. A few months after the 680 made the scene and because it was priced below the 7970 while giving the same or better performance (at that time), AMD really had no choice, but to drop the price. They ended up releasing their GHz edition and making huge improvements with driver updates so right now the 7970 is a much better candidate for price/performance in most games, but that wasn't the case before. So, I wouldn't put it past Nvidia to release the 780 at $650 or above until AMD has their new line because there is little to lose until there is something to compete with.

---

What I would be really interested in knowing is how many people upgrade from one generation the one directly after. Which market will produce more buyers closer to launch? The people who have GTX 600 and 7000 cards or the people with GTX 500 and 6000 cards.
If you have a 6000 card or 500 card there would be no better options then a GTX780 for $550. The thing would sell like wildfire.
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
post #802 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by treats View Post

We already know from common sense it is not $500 biggrin.gif
No, we ddon't. In fact 500 or 550 is the most logical off of what evidence we have so far. We will know for sure soon anyway so no point arguing really. We have bananas to debate!
The Sig Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4.xghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) MSI GTX 970 Gaming SLI @ 1504mhz core/8020mhz m... 16GB DDR3 2x 8gb @ 1866mhz C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Sandisk Extreme A few 2tb hdd's. DVDRW Corsair H75 CLC on the CPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ACER B326hk 4k 60hz 3840x2160 IPS sst display Coolermaster Cherry MX Brown switch mechanical ... Corsair TX 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Logitech MX518 EverGlide Titan "Medium" Soundblaster Z PCIE 
  hide details  
The Sig Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4.xghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) MSI GTX 970 Gaming SLI @ 1504mhz core/8020mhz m... 16GB DDR3 2x 8gb @ 1866mhz C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Sandisk Extreme A few 2tb hdd's. DVDRW Corsair H75 CLC on the CPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ACER B326hk 4k 60hz 3840x2160 IPS sst display Coolermaster Cherry MX Brown switch mechanical ... Corsair TX 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Logitech MX518 EverGlide Titan "Medium" Soundblaster Z PCIE 
  hide details  
post #803 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

No, we ddon't. In fact 500 or 550 is the most logical off of what evidence we have so far. We will know for sure soon anyway so no point arguing really. We have bananas to debate!

You will buy a banana for $500 before the GTX 780 will launch at that price. biggrin.gif
post #804 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch10 View Post

To be honest, I have no clue. This whole thing with the Titan being $1000 really makes a mess of it all because the low end and the high end can be justified.

The 780 should be priced rom $500-$600 because:

1) Traditionally new gen cards are priced there (7970 was $550 on release and the 680 was $500 a few months after).

2) The 770 (every card 10 below) is traditionally less than the top (780) by about $100 and then less every 10 step. However, the 770 is simply a rebranded 680 as far as we can see with some minor improvement (almost the difference between a 670 and a 680 at stock). So, if the 780 were priced at $700 or more like some people are speculating and rumors are showing, the price difference between the 780 and 770 would be quite large since the 770 should be at most $500 and even that is a little much.


But, you can make an argument for the 780 being around $650-$750 because:

1) We're expecting around the performance difference between the 580 and 680 here, but the Titan is approximately 30-40% better than the 680. If we price the 780 at it's performance level, it should be around the $650-$750 level.

2) Without the competition coming in what seems like until after 2013, Nvidia can really get away with charging with what they please until there is a price war between them and AMD. The 7970 MSRP'd at $550 with custom versions being $600. A few months after the 680 made the scene and because it was priced below the 7970 while giving the same or better performance (at that time), AMD really had no choice, but to drop the price. They ended up releasing their GHz edition and making huge improvements with driver updates so right now the 7970 is a much better candidate for price/performance in most games, but that wasn't the case before. So, I wouldn't put it past Nvidia to release the 780 at $650 or above until AMD has their new line because there is little to lose until there is something to compete with.

---

What I would be really interested in knowing is how many people upgrade from one generation the one directly after. Which market will produce more buyers closer to launch? The people who have GTX 600 and 7000 cards or the people with GTX 500 and 6000 cards.

You can't use Titan as the reference point for this comparison. Titan's price reflects a premium that users other than gamers are prepared to pay for a GK 110 chip. Just because Nvidia marketed the Titan so well that everyone who bought it talked themselves into paying a premium that was supposed to have been paid by those heavy graphic users, as per that article Titan outsells 690. No wonder Nvidia was surprised. tongue.gif
My two cents.
post #805 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by treats View Post

You will buy a banana for $500 before the GTX 780 will launch at that price. biggrin.gif
History might repeat itself your argument isn't based on banana at all.
post #806 of 1081
another overpriced card when this will be released
post #807 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltms View Post

another overpriced card when this will be released

Only people complaining are the ones who cant afford it
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
post #808 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Only people complaining are the ones who cant afford it
Can't afford it and not complaining.
post #809 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltms View Post

another overpriced card when this will be released

If its over priced, I hope never.
post #810 of 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Only people complaining are the ones who cant afford it

I remember making a bet with before the Titan launch, and I said I will have Titans, and you will never buy one. You were hyping everyone up in that thread too. tongue.gif
You still never bought one. tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VC] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Pictured Up Close (Gallery)