Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › i7 3770k Overclock limit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i7 3770k Overclock limit? - Page 3

post #21 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

You will not fry your chip with anything under 1.4v.
With your limited cooling you will not be able to reach the higher overclocks without delidding and getting higher end cooling as other have pointed out. You want to keep stress testing temps under 90c if possible, 24/7 normal use temps you want to shoot for something like 60 to 70c max depending on what voltage you use.

Every Ivy chip is different, you will have to test yours to see what oc you can get. They vary a lot in voltage requirements and heat.

With turbo you get 3.9 already so there is not really any point in bothering with 4.0 or 4.1, you can just change the multiplier and leave all else on auto. To go higher you need to read through the first post on this thread:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

That will tell you what you need to know, you can ask any questions in the thread.

Welcome to OCN by the way. Here is how to get your rig in your posts:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1258253/how-to-put-your-rig-in-your-sig

Thanks man biggrin.gif,

Im thinking im leaving it on the turbo (3,9GHz) atm.

And i'll read that link you just posted for me, and maybe i'll overclock it later when i got a water cooler.

Im guessing i get 60+ FPS tho.
post #22 of 43
With the Scythe, you should be able to achieve 4.5Ghz pretty well. Just watch voltages and and temperatures. Try keeping the voltage under 1.3 and temps below 80C (85C if you must).

Do you know how to overclock? If so, have you been benching the OC with Prime95?
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkslayerz View Post

Thanks man biggrin.gif,

Im thinking im leaving it on the turbo (3,9GHz) atm.

And i'll read that link you just posted for me, and maybe i'll overclock it later when i got a water cooler.

Im guessing i get 60+ FPS tho.
FPS come mostly from your gpu. With a 680 card you should be able to handle most games at reasonable settings. Here is the thread to read to oc your gpu. It lists as a 670 guide but everything in there applies to your 680 also.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

The 3770k at 3.9 turbo with stock settings is a good chip. It will not really hold you back with a single gpu. When you get water cooling you can see how far you can take the chip. You can try to use your cooler and oc the chip, just start with 4.3 and under 1.2v and check your temps. Everything you need is in the guide I linked if you want to try. It just really depends on your chip, some run very hot compared to others.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

FPS come mostly from your gpu. With a 680 card you should be able to handle most games at reasonable settings. Here is the thread to read to oc your gpu. It lists as a 670 guide but everything in there applies to your 680 also.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

The 3770k at 3.9 turbo with stock settings is a good chip. It will not really hold you back with a single gpu. When you get water cooling you can see how far you can take the chip. You can try to use your cooler and oc the chip, just start with 4.3 and under 1.2v and check your temps. Everything you need is in the guide I linked if you want to try. It just really depends on your chip, some run very hot compared to others.

Alright, ive got the ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II Top Edition, so i think i wont be able to overclock it further.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

FPS come mostly from your gpu. With a 680 card you should be able to handle most games at reasonable settings. Here is the thread to read to oc your gpu. It lists as a 670 guide but everything in there applies to your 680 also.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

The 3770k at 3.9 turbo with stock settings is a good chip. It will not really hold you back with a single gpu. When you get water cooling you can see how far you can take the chip. You can try to use your cooler and oc the chip, just start with 4.3 and under 1.2v and check your temps. Everything you need is in the guide I linked if you want to try. It just really depends on your chip, some run very hot compared to others.

Games are not solely dependent on GPU. Many games are highly dependent on the CPU performance, like StarCraft 2 (SC2 is mostly CPU dependent) or even Skyrim (much of its performance is derived from how fast your CPU is). Games that require loading a large amount of NPC's, rather than texture rendering or lighting. While many games are GPU intensive, saying that FPS comes primarily from the GPU isn't exactly true to everything. Even at 1080p, I couldn't hold 60+ FPS at 3.9 Ghz in SC2 (with a 680). When I overclocked, not only did I surpass that, but even games like Skyrim and BF3 saw a large boost.
post #26 of 43
^I think we are saying about the same thing. FPS definitely comes mostly from the gpu, since if you take a 5 year old chip with a new gpu you still get ok FPS, but take a 5 year old gpu with the best chip and you get low FPS. A gpu upgrade will get you a lot more FPS than a cpu upgrade will.

You are correct that there are some games out today that benefit from an oced chip, and I couldn’t have as high a score as I do in the benchmark threads here without my 3770k at 5.0. I was just trying to let the op know that a chip at 3.9 will not bottleneck a single 680 to a big degree. Once he gets water cooling then I think he should take the chip up as far as he can.

The problem now is with the cooling he has his chip may not let him go far, but it all depends on the chip. One of my 3770k was 10c hotter with the same settings than the other predelid. If he ends up with a hot chip that is voltage hungry he has very little chance of doing 4.5 with acceptable temps. If he is lucky with a cool chip with low vCore requirements he could might do 4.6 with his cooler – you just can’t know without testing it.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

^I think we are saying about the same thing. FPS definitely comes mostly from the gpu, since if you take a 5 year old chip with a new gpu you still get ok FPS, but take a 5 year old gpu with the best chip and you get low FPS. A gpu upgrade will get you a lot more FPS than a cpu upgrade will.

You are correct that there are some games out today that benefit from an oced chip, and I couldn’t have as high a score as I do in the benchmark threads here without my 3770k at 5.0. I was just trying to let the op know that a chip at 3.9 will not bottleneck a single 680 to a big degree. Once he gets water cooling then I think he should take the chip up as far as he can.

The problem now is with the cooling he has his chip may not let him go far, but it all depends on the chip. One of my 3770k was 10c hotter with the same settings than the other predelid. If he ends up with a hot chip that is voltage hungry he has very little chance of doing 4.5 with acceptable temps. If he is lucky with a cool chip with low vCore requirements he could might do 4.6 with his cooler – you just can’t know without testing it.

I see what you mean. Sorry, must have misinterpreted. I thought you literally meant that GPU's are the source of all high performance redface.gif
post #28 of 43
On that cooler, you could probably achieve 4.5GHz on your 3770k. If you want to go beyond 4.5ghz, I would recommend you to get an AIO (all in one) cooler. I would recommend the SwiftTech H220 because it is currently the best performing AIO cooler. If you are afraid in breaking your expensive CPU from overclocking, I would recommend you to get a Performance Tuning Protection Plan from Intel. If your Intel CPU is still under Intel's warranty, you would be eligible for this plan. The plan costs $25 USD for your 3770k and you can replace the CPU if you by any chance break your CPU from overclocking. If you want to know more information and the terms and condition for this plan, visit http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/.
post #29 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorybro545 View Post

Games are not solely dependent on GPU. Many games are highly dependent on the CPU performance, like StarCraft 2 (SC2 is mostly CPU dependent) or even Skyrim (much of its performance is derived from how fast your CPU is). Games that require loading a large amount of NPC's, rather than texture rendering or lighting. While many games are GPU intensive, saying that FPS comes primarily from the GPU isn't exactly true to everything. Even at 1080p, I couldn't hold 60+ FPS at 3.9 Ghz in SC2 (with a 680). When I overclocked, not only did I surpass that, but even games like Skyrim and BF3 saw a large boost.

Uhm, im not really understanding you now tongue.gif, ive been watching on youtube aswell for benchmarks, and it says i get 60+ fps, for like. every game wich i know far, except crysis 3 on ultra
post #30 of 43
Thread Starter 
bump ?^^
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › i7 3770k Overclock limit?