Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Can you boot off a system image
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you boot off a system image - Page 2

post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnerphotos View Post

sorry to butt in here, would this work if I created an image of my OS, put it on a CD etc. and then put it on another system? I.e. getting around having to pay for another serial number? Or does the rule still apply about having to use the same MOBO? Thanks

It would not work, restoring an image requires a previous installation, it can not be restored on an empty HDD.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

No, you can't boot from a CD, you have to restore that image to a hard drive, then boot from that hard drive.

But there is a problem, you can't restore an image into an empty HDD, restoring an image requires the previous windows installation,

um...not if your making the image a actual CD...and the serial key isn't a factor if you de-activate first. Hence, you can't run two the same serial.
Edited by Whodat1972 - 5/18/13 at 2:41pm
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

No, 1 serial to one PC only, and if it's an eom license then it is not transferable.

that sucks
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

um...not if your making the image a actual CD...

Even if you saved that image into another HDD, you can't boot straight from that image on the HDD, you have to restore that image into another hdd, you can't restore an image into the same hdd where the image is saved.

YOU CAN NOT BOOT DIRECTLY FROM AN IMAGE, as simple as that. It doesn't matter where this image is saved.
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

Even if you saved that image into another HDD, you can't boot straight from that image on the HDD, you have to restore that image into another hdd, you can't restore an image into the same hdd where the image is saved.

YOU CAN NOT BOOT DIRECTLY FROM AN IMAGE, as simple as that. It doesn't matter where this image is saved.

your not listening bro.....Im telling him to make the IMAGE A CD , not just a image....
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

your not listening bro.....Im telling him to make the IMAGE A CD , not just a image....

Can you clarify that? Because I don't get what are saying? Are you telling him to create a system image to a CD? Because that's even a double NO! You can't boot directly from a system image, and you can't boot from a CD.
Edited by ghostrider85 - 5/18/13 at 2:52pm
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

Can you clarify that? Because I don't get what are saying?

All a image is, is a snapshot of a real CD....the ONLY way a image can be read is if it's mounted..I.e Damon tools, nero...windows 8 does it now, mounting, without pure, or nero, or magicdisc.....

only when the image is mounted can you infact read what the image is...if you burn a image to a cd....which anyone of these programs I mentioned can do...it will create a real CD....not just a image of it.
post #18 of 49
OP is asking about SYSTEM IMAGE, not about DISC IMAGE that contains a copy of windows OS, that is what you think it is right? Those are two different things.

A disc image is a virtual disc, a system image is a picture of your system.
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

OP is asking about SYSTEM IMAGE, not about DISC IMAGE that contains a copy of windows OS, that is what you think it is right? Those are two different things.

A disc image is a virtual disc, a system image is a picture of your system.

Regardless....it's a image.....that can be read if it's frickin mounted, and yes, I thought we meant his OS tongue.gif

Im just telling him if you make the image readable, by burning it.....yes
Edited by Whodat1972 - 5/18/13 at 3:38pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

Regardless....it's a image.....that can be read if it's frickin mounted

NO! entirely different thing. It can not be mounted at all. Daemon tools, Nero, etc can't read this system image, only windows "backup and restore" program can read and restore this image.

This is like saying that ATM "CARD" can also be installed in a pcie slot because it's a CARD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Can you boot off a system image