Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Can you boot off a system image
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you boot off a system image - Page 4

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

But that is basically a restore as you are not booting from the image file. You have to restore it to another location. I thought I was going to learn something new. frown.gif

That's what I keep saying..A image is just that....a image of what's there...you have to mount a image before you "see" it...I'm just trying to show the original poster how to use a image. The quick answer was no....I'm just showing him how to read a image...
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

Honestly I would just mount the image , and stick the files on a flashstick...I have a blueray burner thow biggrin.gif

Can you please stop insisting about that, there is no way to mount it and/or access files directly from the image, you have to restore your system from that image in order to access your files.

Have you done this yourself? Mounted a SYSTEM IMAGE using Nero, daemon, etc? I use this backup and restore function extensively, what you are suggesting is not possible.

Again THIS IS NOT DISC IMAGE/VIRTUAL DISC!
Edited by ghostrider85 - 5/18/13 at 4:36pm
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

Can you please stop insisting about that, there is no way to mount it and/or access files directly from the image, you have to restore your system from that image in order to access your files.

No , because you can make anything a image. It don't flipping matter what file it is, be a system restore point or whatever. you can still use a "image" of your system threw a image....your acting like you can't make a system restore point "image" a image...and that's far from the truth.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

No , because you can make anything a image. It don't flipping matter what file it is, be a system restore point or whatever. you can still use a "image" of your system threw a image....your acting like you can't make a system restore point "image" a image...and that's far from the truth.

tell me, how do you think is the process of making a "system image" in windows 7? what programs do you use? what steps do you do?
Edited by ghostrider85 - 5/18/13 at 4:44pm
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

But that is basically a restore as you are not booting from the image file. You have to restore it to another location. I thought I was going to learn something new. frown.gif

That's what I keep saying..A image is just that....a image of what's there...you have to mount a image before you "see" it...I'm just trying to show the original poster how to use a image. The quick answer was no....I'm just showing him how to read a image...
I was just confused by your earlier statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyReaper View Post

ok so i have mounted it on a CD so thiertically i can just boot from there if my boot frive dies .

I would test it to make sure its readable....but yes. Also make sure the cd is closed....so it can be read on any computer.
this makes it sound as if the user plugs the system image disk in he can just boot from it as if it was the OS drive. Not that he/she has to plug it in and move the files to another location to boot from it.
post #36 of 49
lets look at the original question...again....ffs

if your boot drive fails and you have an system image can you boot from, that drive
like going into the bios and telling it to boot from that drive
i am asking becuase i no longer have my windows 7 disc i lost it along with the code .

If he's just talking about a image of restore, yes...it really don't matter where the image is stored, as long as it can be read. We are talking about a basic fail here....we loaded something....**** aint working, we need to backtrack. As long as he has the system restore points...somewhere...he can.....HOWEVER....if there just a image of a "image" of his system restore points....then he needs to create a disc...

Let me mention that I did think he was talking about his OS, I did think that at first. If he's talking about loading a fresh restore, and then loading a system restore 'point'...that would prob mess things up.
Edited by Whodat1972 - 5/18/13 at 5:07pm
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

That's what I keep saying..A image is just that....a image of what's there...you have to mount a image before you "see" it...I'm just trying to show the original poster how to use a image. The quick answer was no....I'm just showing him how to read a image...

that's the problem with your posts, it's just wrong, because you just assume that a SYSTEM IMAGE is just the same as DISC IMAGE/VIRTUAL DISC.

you can't read a SYSTEM IMAGE, read as in opening and copying files that you want in it. you can only do system restore from a system image.

and no, you can't boot from a system image.

this is how you create a system image, and how restore your system from it:

you don't MOUNT AND READ a system image, you RESTORE your system from it.
Edited by ghostrider85 - 5/18/13 at 5:08pm
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat1972 View Post

That's what I keep saying..A image is just that....a image of what's there...you have to mount a image before you "see" it...I'm just trying to show the original poster how to use a image. The quick answer was no....I'm just showing him how to read a image...

that's the problem with your posts, it's just wrong, because you just assume that a SYSTEM IMAGE is just the same as DISC IMAGE/VIRTUAL DISC.

you can't read a SYSTEM IMAGE, read as in opening and copying files that you want in it. you can only do system restore from a system image.

and no, you can't boot from a system image.
You can do that...You just need the supporting software. biggrin.gif
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

You can do that...You just need the supporting software. biggrin.gif

not a disc image/virtual disc software like daemon or nero.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

not a disc image/virtual disc software like daemon or nero.

and whats your little vid show, creating a disk?lol Im done dude...have at it...lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Can you boot off a system image