Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Should I Take It Back to Get the GTX 770?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I Take It Back to Get the GTX 770?

Poll Results: What Should I Do?

Poll expired: Jun 1, 2013  
  • 34% (10)
    Keep it & wait for the 900 series
  • 65% (19)
    Take it back & get ready to buy the GTX 770
29 Total Votes  
post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
I was finally able to get a GTX 670 FTW Sig2 biggrin.gif ...Sometimes these special cards are usually not sold at MicroCenter or TigerDirect in my area so I consider myself lucky this time (they only had 3 in stock & have no plans to restock). I was quickly planning to buy a 2nd card from NewEgg so I can SLI but now, I've been reading that the GTX 770 is going to be about 20% faster than a 670, cost $399 and scheduled to be released at the end of May or 1st week in June. Has this been officially confirmed?

I have not yet opened this 670 FTW Sig2 because I'm trying to find out how accurate this info is about the GTX 770. My fear is if this info is false, & this GTX 770 is going to be more expensive (roughly $500), I would rather keep this 670 FTW Sig2 since I had found out this yesterday that there is only 1 left in stock. I fear that if I take it back now, somebody will buy it then I'm out of luck with having a FTW Sig2 while the possible price tag for this GTX 770 is $500.

I have until June 16th to return for a full refund or exchange for something else. Again, my question is has the official release date been confirmed and is it safe to say the GTX 770 will be available before my refund / exchange period expires?

Finally, here's my disguised 680 wheee.gif





What should I do now?

Sorry, I had meant to say for option #1, wait for Nvidia 800/900 series
Edited by drBlahMan - 5/19/13 at 7:50am
post #2 of 45
Quote:
I have until June 16th to return for a full refund or exchange for something else. Again, my question is has the official release date been confirmed and is it safe to say the GTX 770 will be available before my refund / exchange period expires?

It seems likely that we'll know pricing/spec info on 770 before June 16th (allegedly before the end of the month), ed: it may not be released before then, but in the very least enough info will probably be released before then so that you can make a decision...so I would keep it in the box and be patient. At least, presuming you have something in your rig right now to hold you over for a week or so.
Edited by Otterclock - 5/19/13 at 7:59am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k@4.5ghz 1.21v Gigabyte Sniper M3 Sapphire 6950 Samsung 8g1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Samsung F1 500 Crucial M4 64 (SRC) cpu:Noc NF-F12 / case:4x TY-141/gpu: 2x NB-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Venomous X, Accelero TT Win 7 64 Acer X213H Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
Superflower 650 plat Fractal Arc Midi G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k@4.5ghz 1.21v Gigabyte Sniper M3 Sapphire 6950 Samsung 8g1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Samsung F1 500 Crucial M4 64 (SRC) cpu:Noc NF-F12 / case:4x TY-141/gpu: 2x NB-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Venomous X, Accelero TT Win 7 64 Acer X213H Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
Superflower 650 plat Fractal Arc Midi G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 45
Thread Starter 
Not expecting a lot of responses...You're probably right...The best thing I can do is just wait since no official statement has been made regarding the GTX 770.
post #4 of 45
the GTX 770 is a faster clocked GTX 680 with 1084 Mhz boost and 7 Ghz GDDR5. price USD 400 - 450. may 30th launch

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-official-specifications-chart-unveiled/

the GTX 760 Ti (faster clocked GTX 670) launches next month at USD 300. wait till month end and then decide.
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 45

If your 670 can do 1250-1300 core clock then, IMHO, you should keep it. We dont know anything about how well the 770 will clock and it might actually become a downgrade if you happen to get a bad clocker.

post #6 of 45
You made the purchase, live with it.

Don't be rude.
Sandy the waffle
(16 items)
 
Data server
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 eVGA GTX580 eVGA GTX580 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengence Samsung 840 Evo WD1001FALS Phobya UC-2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro 22" LG HX1000 Corsair 900D 
Mouse
DeathAdder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 3220 S1200BTSR onboard KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Patriot Inferno 60gb 8x WD5002ALX 4x ST2000DM001 2x WD10EALS 2x WD10EARS 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD5000AAKS Windows Server 2008 R2 Antec TP550 RPC-4116 
OtherOther
Areca ARC-1222 Dell Perc5/i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Asus 5770 Direct CU II 8GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
250GB Momentus XT Accelero S1 Plus Windows 7 SilverStone ST45SF 
Case
Silverstone FT03B-MINI 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy the waffle
(16 items)
 
Data server
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 eVGA GTX580 eVGA GTX580 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengence Samsung 840 Evo WD1001FALS Phobya UC-2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro 22" LG HX1000 Corsair 900D 
Mouse
DeathAdder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 3220 S1200BTSR onboard KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Patriot Inferno 60gb 8x WD5002ALX 4x ST2000DM001 2x WD10EALS 2x WD10EARS 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD5000AAKS Windows Server 2008 R2 Antec TP550 RPC-4116 
OtherOther
Areca ARC-1222 Dell Perc5/i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Asus 5770 Direct CU II 8GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
250GB Momentus XT Accelero S1 Plus Windows 7 SilverStone ST45SF 
Case
Silverstone FT03B-MINI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

...wait till month end and then decide.

I guess 13 more days until June 1st can't hurt weirdsmiley.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraboose View Post

You made the purchase, live with it.

Don't be rude.

Made the purchase but did not open it thumb.gif
post #8 of 45
From a business stand point I don't know why you'd keep it especially if it's never been open... There's no moral dilemma here.

The value of that card is guaranteed to drop as soon as the 700 series comes out. That much is a 100% undeniable fact.

There are some issues however. The 770 is going to cost more which means you have to spend more to get a card that may potentially be about the same speed since there are no official benchmarks yet. I find it hard to believe though. I doubt it will be slower, clock for clock anyways.

The other issue is that there is no guarantee you'll be able to get a 700 series card anytime soon because they can be hard to obtain at launch day.
Bladestorm Z
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 5ghz [1.4v] MSI Z77 MPOWER MSI GeForce GTX 1070 @ +225/+450 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 2200mhz [1.5v] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 SSD Custom Water Loop Windows 10 Professional x64 2x Debezeled QNIX QX2710 [77hz] 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair 600T SE 
  hide details  
Reply
Bladestorm Z
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 5ghz [1.4v] MSI Z77 MPOWER MSI GeForce GTX 1070 @ +225/+450 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 2200mhz [1.5v] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 SSD Custom Water Loop Windows 10 Professional x64 2x Debezeled QNIX QX2710 [77hz] 
PowerCase
Corsair AX860i Corsair 600T SE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 45
Since all the required data (MSRP, specs, availability, etc.) reportedly will be made known on May 30th (2 weeks before your drop-dead date for the 670 you bought), I'd sit tight for now. My prediction for the MSRP will be $400-$450 (leaning towards the lower end of the range), but that's just a hunch.

As for holding out for Maxwell (i.e. the 800-series), there's no way to know when in 2014 it'll come out, or if it will have delays / availability problems. It would be a gamble to wait an undermined amount of time for an currently undefinable benefit. You didn't say what card you have in your rig currently, so it's hard to make any further conclusions for this option.
Edited by svenge - 5/19/13 at 3:16pm
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ry View Post

From a business stand point I don't know why you'd keep it especially if it's never been open... There's no moral dilemma here.

If you read my 1st post, you'll understand that there is no business point. I've been wanting a 670 FTW Sig2...plain & simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ry View Post

The value of that card is guaranteed to drop as soon as the 700 series comes out. That much is a 100% undeniable fact.

The intent is to buy 2 so when I decide to sell them later in the future, I can sell them as a pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ry View Post

The other issue is that there is no guarantee you'll be able to get a 700 series card anytime soon because they can be hard to obtain at launch day.

I got connections...Never had a problem finding a GPU on release day...never.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

You didn't say what card you have in your rig currently, so it's hard to make any further conclusions for this option.

Using an unlocked Diamond 6950.
Edited by drBlahMan - 5/19/13 at 3:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Should I Take It Back to Get the GTX 770?