Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Why you shouldn't use Ubuntu!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why you shouldn't use Ubuntu! - Page 5

Poll Results: Will you continue to use Ubuntu if they keep this up.

 
  • 16% (7)
    Yes, I do not care about my privacy
  • 11% (5)
    No, This really is ergregious
  • 72% (31)
    Who the hell uses ubuntu anyway? Not Me.
43 Total Votes  
post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post

I wouldn't use it because it sounds silly. You go and tell someone that you have Ubuntu on your computer let alone pronounce it, and most of the population wouldn't know what you are talking about lachen.gif

And Windows doesn't sound silly? Way to also insult someone else's language buddy. And why do trolls follow me?
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

And Windows doesn't sound silly? Way to also insult someone else's language buddy. And why do trolls follow me?

First of all a big SORRY and I mean that redface.gif

Just my English humour and I didn't expect you to read it that way. Zoopla - property company and other names appear in our business world! Just in my mind silly names not the product.

So once more do not feel I was digging at you as a person and sorry again thumb.gif
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post

First of all a big SORRY and I mean that redface.gif

Just my English humour and I didn't expect you to read it that way. Zoopla - property company and other names appear in our business world! Just in my mind silly names not the product.

So once more do not feel I was digging at you as a person and sorry again thumb.gif

Well...it's not my language but I'm pretty sure that would be taken offensively. And the name isn't silly as it actually has meaning in the language it comes from and that meaning was seemingly fitting for a while.

But all offense on my part is withdrawn.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noskcaj View Post

The amazon thing as been exagerated way to much,
Not really. There'd be the same outcry if it was bundled with any other OS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noskcaj View Post

unity is a good DE.
It really isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noskcaj View Post

If you're still complaining, help fix the problem rather than complaining. Once you've run a few hundred testcases, people will listen.
...or just use a better distro, like Mint Debian Edition.

I don't see why people should be expected to fix a few hundred bugs in Ubuntu just so they can voice an opinion of dislike. And in all honestly, all of your "Ubuntu is great. Come test our mistakes" comments you're making is wearing thin. It's come to the point where I have as much faith in getting a balanced opinion from you as I do from RMS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post

I wouldn't use it because it sounds silly. You go and tell someone that you have Ubuntu on your computer let alone pronounce it, and most of the population wouldn't know what you are talking about lachen.gif

No sillier than Google, Bing, iPad, any of the Android release names, and so on.

But I suspect you're only here to troll given how weak your argument is and how assertively you made it.
post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

If he came off a bit a less of a evangelist and more of someone who cared without trying to force his views onto others, people would listen to him more.

Absolutely not. It's his uncompromising (to the nth degree) views that already make people listen to him. If he had a half-assed "it would be swell if you guys respected users' freedom" attitude then he would not be repeatedly in the news and interviews. Compromising views make one appear just as weak as everyone else, so why would such a person be worth a headline? This thread wouldn't even be here if Stallman was just like all the rest.

Stallman is very right to be concerned about this feature. Even Microsoft hasn't gone so far as to openly share data collected from your OS usage with a 3rd party (although they do collect some data for themselves as part of the activation process) without your explicit consent. The setup process for Win 8 presents you with clear options to consent to the sharing of your data, and from memory it's disabled by default. Canonical shares by default and puts the details in a privacy policy.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

Absolutely not. It's his uncompromising (to the nth degree) views that already make people listen to him. If he had a half-assed "it would be swell if you guys respected users' freedom" attitude then he would not be repeatedly in the news and interviews. Compromising views make one appear just as weak as everyone else, so why would such a person be worth a headline? This thread wouldn't even be here if Stallman was just like all the rest.
Just because RMS makes headlines it doesn't mean anyone actually listens to or takes him seriously. If the news was about people we respected rather than pure sensationalism then the Paris Hilton's of this world would be unknown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

Stallman is very right to be concerned about this feature.
Nobody is saying RMS is wrong. We're just saying "yawn. RMS is trolling again. Wake me when he returns to planet Earth"

RMS is the boy who cried wolf.
Edited by Plan9 - 5/22/13 at 3:12am
post #47 of 71
Lets all listen to RMS and live in a cave, whilst cutting off all links to the outside world in the name of freedom rolleyes.gif

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post


Nobody is saying RMS is wrong. We're just saying "yawn. RMS is trolling again. Wake me when he returns to planet Earth"

RMS is the boy who cried wolf.

That quote is great, it's going in my sig tongue.gif
Edited by Scott1541 - 5/22/13 at 3:17am
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Just because RMS makes headlines it doesn't mean anyone actually listens to or takes him seriously.

Who do we listen to and take seriously in terms of software freedom? I can't think of anyone. There is a lot of noise from those on the other side of the fence, and there is Stallman on his side of the fence balancing things out, but there is nobody in the middle. Even if there was they wouldn't be worth listening to because in some ways they are supporting both sides and in other ways they are stabbing both sides in the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

RMS is the boy who cried wolf.

This would be the case if RMS made comments even when there was no threat to software freedom. I don't think I've seen him do that. He's more likely to end up being the boy who cried "told you so" after nobody listened.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

Who do we listen to and take seriously in terms of software freedom? I can't think of anyone. There is a lot of noise from those on the other side of the fence, and there is Stallman on his side of the fence balancing things out, but there is nobody in the middle. Even if there was they wouldn't be worth listening to because in some ways they are supporting both sides and in other ways they are stabbing both sides in the back.
Take your pick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_advocacy (and there's countless other people worth listening to, developers, Linux / BSD maintainers, project managers, etc. When you start working in the industry, going to conferences and following press releases, you start to realise that our community is full of passionate people who are worth listening to. And more importantly, since freedom is supposed to be a community rather than a dictatorship, there's no real need for a figurehead like RMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

This would be the case if RMS made comments even when there was no threat to software freedom. I don't think I've seen him do that. He's more likely to end up being the boy who cried "told you so" after nobody listened.
Most of the time he comments, there isn't a threat to software freedom. I really don't know how many times we need to reiterate this for you, but we've repeatedly said that RMS is right, on this occasion. Our issue is the fact that he is an extremist so more often than not he's crying wolf.

Or let me put it another way. Do you think we need to shun every distro that includes non-free binaries in their repositories - for the sake of software freedom? Included graphics card drivers? Do you think that we should stop using PDFs, for the sake of software freedom? However we purge all BSD licensed code from Linux (which includes OpenSSH so I guess we'd all have to start using telnet again) for the sake of software freedom?

Do any of those points sound like a rational man who doesn't cry wolf? Because if we all followed Stallman's opinions to the letter, then Linux would still be in the dark ages (in fact it wouldn't even exist because we'd still be trying to stabilize that buggy microkernel that GNU have been developing for the last 2 decades without success).

And this is why people in the industry don't take RMS seriously. Because while he may sometimes hit upon a valid point; he wildly swings and every bloody thing in his path before blundering on an argument worth raising.
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Take your pick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_advocacy (and there's countless other people worth listening to, developers, Linux / BSD maintainers, project managers, etc. When you start working in the industry, going to conferences and following press releases, you start to realise that our community is full of passionate people who are worth listening to. And more importantly, since freedom is supposed to be a community rather than a dictatorship, there's no real need for a figurehead like RMS.

The community can't make up its mind on anything, let alone software freedom. You can't even put people like RMS and Linus in the same bucket because both of them have completely different views on the subject. Linus cares about open source software, but not libre software. RMS cares about libre software (and open source by extension, but he avoids the term since it's used in too many different ways).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Most of the time he comments, there isn't a threat to software freedom. I really don't know how many times we need to reiterate this for you, but we've repeatedly said that RMS is right, on this occasion. Our issue is the fact that he is an extremist so more often than not he's crying wolf.

He's an idealist, of course he's going to be extreme. I don't see how that means he is crying wolf. Obviously it depends what you consider to be software freedom. If your definition is different, then you won't see threats where he does. That doesn't mean he is crying wolf any more than you are for repeatedly calling him a troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Do any of those points sound like a rational man who doesn't cry wolf? Because if we all followed Stallman's opinions to the letter, then Linux would still be in the dark ages (in fact it wouldn't even exist because we'd still be trying to stabilize that buggy microkernel that GNU have been developing for the last 2 decades without success).

It sounds like a difference of opinion - nothing more, nothing less - and certainly nothing to do with crying wolf or lack of rationality (his rants are completely rational in the context of what he's trying to achieve). Your and many others' (including mine) end goals are not the same as RMS'.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Why you shouldn't use Ubuntu!