Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Ways to improve my rig? aesthetics? pics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ways to improve my rig? aesthetics? pics - Page 2

post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Well there are a couple things you can do for free that will help and there are some more costly things you can do. Obviously as you mention, water cooling is a great route for performance and looks. If you are still unsure, all I can tell you is that if someone like me with terrible hand eye coordination can do it with no leaks, then anyone can do it biggrin.gif.

Things you can do for free.

Cable management is key. Nice clean builds are the best. A LOT of wires seem like they could be routed through the CPU cutout from behind the mobo.

You might also want to try mounting the H80 on the top of the case forward of the motherboard (close to your DVD drive). This might allow you move the rad to somewhere where it might not be such an eyesore. Plus, this will also give you the opportunity to not have the tubes blocking the corsair cpu block.

Also, try moving that sound card down to the bottom PCI slot. IDK how well this will work, but you will have a much shorter run with your molex connector.



Things that cost money

Sleeving your cables white will be best for a clean look. Especially white para cord would look awesome. That being said, feel free to go with what ever you want, but with that white case and black mobo I REALLY have to say that white would be the way to go thumb.gif. You also have a couple choices. Since you bought the AX850 PSU, corsair sells sleeved cable sets ( http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-white.html ) but for a little less than half the price you can do it yourself. I recommend the corsair set simply because it is done extremely well and you don't have to worry about being as perfect as they were thumb.gif

Buy the NZXT Hue. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992011 For 30 bucks you get a very long light strip and it has every color you could want smile.gif

Buy a fan controller. A cheap one like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9369/bus-200/Lamptron_20W_-_4_Channel_Aluminum_Rheobus_w_Blue_Backlit_LED_-_Silver_FC-4.html?tl=g47c17s286 will allow you to run all your fan cables behind your case and get them out of sight.

The window is terrible. It shows wayyyyy too much and it cripples the look for a clean build. There are a couple ways to go about fixing this. Option 1 is to get a regular panel and cut the windows out yourself. If you are great with tools, I recommend this 10 fold. If you are a novice with tools....forget I mentioned it. Option 2 would be to get some thin and cheap plexiglass and some white carbon fiber. What you want to do is cut the plexiglass so that it can cover the slant area and the cable grommets. Then slap some white carbon fiber on it and attach it to your panel. You could also slap a decal on the carbon fiber. Maybe a dragon or a snake. Something with black outline. Since I know that my explanations aren't great, I made some pics.



Here I made a 810 window with the basic parts. as you can see I drew ugly cables everywhere (wayyyyy worse than yours btw).



Here is the idea behind the modified panel. As you can see I didn't have a carbon fiber color in paint so I hope you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. For 30 bucks this would not be a bad solution and you could even add a decal that you like to add a personal touch to it.

I like the window, I like the shape and how big it is. I had the obsidian 650D before and was even contemplating the 800D but got this Switch 810 because of the side window wink.gif

I 'm going to do what you said about the PSU, and try re-mounting the h80i and cable managemetn.
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Well there are a couple things you can do for free that will help and there are some more costly things you can do. Obviously as you mention, water cooling is a great route for performance and looks. If you are still unsure, all I can tell you is that if someone like me with terrible hand eye coordination can do it with no leaks, then anyone can do it biggrin.gif.

Things you can do for free.

Cable management is key. Nice clean builds are the best. A LOT of wires seem like they could be routed through the CPU cutout from behind the mobo.

You might also want to try mounting the H80 on the top of the case forward of the motherboard (close to your DVD drive). This might allow you move the rad to somewhere where it might not be such an eyesore. Plus, this will also give you the opportunity to not have the tubes blocking the corsair cpu block.

Also, try moving that sound card down to the bottom PCI slot. IDK how well this will work, but you will have a much shorter run with your molex connector.



Things that cost money

Sleeving your cables white will be best for a clean look. Especially white para cord would look awesome. That being said, feel free to go with what ever you want, but with that white case and black mobo I REALLY have to say that white would be the way to go thumb.gif. You also have a couple choices. Since you bought the AX850 PSU, corsair sells sleeved cable sets ( http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-white.html ) but for a little less than half the price you can do it yourself. I recommend the corsair set simply because it is done extremely well and you don't have to worry about being as perfect as they were thumb.gif

Buy the NZXT Hue. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992011 For 30 bucks you get a very long light strip and it has every color you could want smile.gif

Buy a fan controller. A cheap one like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9369/bus-200/Lamptron_20W_-_4_Channel_Aluminum_Rheobus_w_Blue_Backlit_LED_-_Silver_FC-4.html?tl=g47c17s286 will allow you to run all your fan cables behind your case and get them out of sight.

The window is terrible. It shows wayyyyy too much and it cripples the look for a clean build. There are a couple ways to go about fixing this. Option 1 is to get a regular panel and cut the windows out yourself. If you are great with tools, I recommend this 10 fold. If you are a novice with tools....forget I mentioned it. Option 2 would be to get some thin and cheap plexiglass and some white carbon fiber. What you want to do is cut the plexiglass so that it can cover the slant area and the cable grommets. Then slap some white carbon fiber on it and attach it to your panel. You could also slap a decal on the carbon fiber. Maybe a dragon or a snake. Something with black outline. Since I know that my explanations aren't great, I made some pics.



Here I made a 810 window with the basic parts. as you can see I drew ugly cables everywhere (wayyyyy worse than yours btw).



Here is the idea behind the modified panel. As you can see I didn't have a carbon fiber color in paint so I hope you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. For 30 bucks this would not be a bad solution and you could even add a decal that you like to add a personal touch to it.

If I put the the Corsair H80i at the top, how should I set it up?

corsair recommends using it as an intake, but aren't most top fans exhaust?

should I put it as intake on the top, and the fan next to it on top, make that intake as-well? then , my only exhaust will be the rear fan? rolleyes.gif
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post

If I put the the Corsair H80i at the top, how should I set it up?

corsair recommends using it as an intake, but aren't most top fans exhaust?

should I put it as intake on the top, and the fan next to it on top, make that intake as-well? then , my only exhaust will be the rear fan? rolleyes.gif
Top fans are usually exhaust, but you want air running through the radiator to cool down the fins.
Have the air coming through the top and on the rear of the case have a exhaust fan.
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Well there are a couple things you can do for free that will help and there are some more costly things you can do. Obviously as you mention, water cooling is a great route for performance and looks. If you are still unsure, all I can tell you is that if someone like me with terrible hand eye coordination can do it with no leaks, then anyone can do it biggrin.gif.

Things you can do for free.

Cable management is key. Nice clean builds are the best. A LOT of wires seem like they could be routed through the CPU cutout from behind the mobo.

You might also want to try mounting the H80 on the top of the case forward of the motherboard (close to your DVD drive). This might allow you move the rad to somewhere where it might not be such an eyesore. Plus, this will also give you the opportunity to not have the tubes blocking the corsair cpu block.

Also, try moving that sound card down to the bottom PCI slot. IDK how well this will work, but you will have a much shorter run with your molex connector.



Things that cost money

Sleeving your cables white will be best for a clean look. Especially white para cord would look awesome. That being said, feel free to go with what ever you want, but with that white case and black mobo I REALLY have to say that white would be the way to go thumb.gif. You also have a couple choices. Since you bought the AX850 PSU, corsair sells sleeved cable sets ( http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-white.html ) but for a little less than half the price you can do it yourself. I recommend the corsair set simply because it is done extremely well and you don't have to worry about being as perfect as they were thumb.gif

Buy the NZXT Hue. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992011 For 30 bucks you get a very long light strip and it has every color you could want smile.gif

Buy a fan controller. A cheap one like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9369/bus-200/Lamptron_20W_-_4_Channel_Aluminum_Rheobus_w_Blue_Backlit_LED_-_Silver_FC-4.html?tl=g47c17s286 will allow you to run all your fan cables behind your case and get them out of sight.

The window is terrible. It shows wayyyyy too much and it cripples the look for a clean build. There are a couple ways to go about fixing this. Option 1 is to get a regular panel and cut the windows out yourself. If you are great with tools, I recommend this 10 fold. If you are a novice with tools....forget I mentioned it. Option 2 would be to get some thin and cheap plexiglass and some white carbon fiber. What you want to do is cut the plexiglass so that it can cover the slant area and the cable grommets. Then slap some white carbon fiber on it and attach it to your panel. You could also slap a decal on the carbon fiber. Maybe a dragon or a snake. Something with black outline. Since I know that my explanations aren't great, I made some pics.



Here I made a 810 window with the basic parts. as you can see I drew ugly cables everywhere (wayyyyy worse than yours btw).



Here is the idea behind the modified panel. As you can see I didn't have a carbon fiber color in paint so I hope you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. For 30 bucks this would not be a bad solution and you could even add a decal that you like to add a personal touch to it.

This PSU link for the white sleezed corsair cables only is MISSING the 24pin ATX connector:
http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-white.html

I tried to find the individual 24pin on the corsair website, but the only one I could find states that it's for the AX860 or AX760 platinum series?:
http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/individually-sleeved-ax-860-760-atx-24pin-generation-2-white.html
post #15 of 24
DO NOT buy these http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-white.html

Those are Gen 2 cables they DO NOT fit the old AX series if you buy those and use them on your PSU you could blow it up in the worst case

You need the gen 1 cables for the AX750 AX850 and AX1200 and gen 2 fit pretty much everything else

They dont have gen 1 cables on the Corsair website anymore
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

DO NOT buy these http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-white.html

Those are Gen 2 cables they DO NOT fit the old AX series if you buy those and use them on your PSU you could blow it up in the worst case

You need the gen 1 cables for the AX750 AX850 and AX1200 and gen 2 fit pretty much everything else

They dont have gen 1 cables on the Corsair website anymore

I did NOT buy those I bought these:
http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-series-ax850-ax750-ax650-individually-sleeved-modular-cables-white.html

And it clearly states they are compatible with the AX850 series, it doesn't say anything else.

What do you even mean by the "old AX" series and why do you assume mine is old?

I'll email them to make sure, but it sounds abit absurd that Corsair would sell these on their website and say it's compatible with the AX850 if it had the potentially to "blow up" your PSU as you stated..... rolleyes.gif
post #17 of 24
I say get the NZXT Hue. Its awesome
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren1 View Post

I say get the NZXT Hue. Its awesome

Whats the point of the NZXT hue? it simply changes the LED colors of the fan?

I always thought LED fans look abit gaudy and might ruin the clean cut look of the white Switch 810.

I would consider a water cooling kit, with colored tubing, but never been a fan of led fans.


what about led strips or cathods or something ? I am not sure what looks better
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post

I did NOT buy those I bought these:
http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-series-ax850-ax750-ax650-individually-sleeved-modular-cables-white.html

And it clearly states they are compatible with the AX850 series, it doesn't say anything else.

What do you even mean by the "old AX" series and why do you assume mine is old?

I'll email them to make sure, but it sounds abit absurd that Corsair would sell these on their website and say it's compatible with the AX850 if it had the potentially to "blow up" your PSU as you stated..... rolleyes.gif

There is the Gen 1 cables that fit the old AX series which is AX 650/AX750/AX750/AX1200

The Gen 2 cables fit the AX760/AX760i/AX860/AX860i/AX1200i and pretty much every other Corsair PSU

You have a AX850 so you need Gen 1 cables

Gen 1 cables works only with a Gen 1 PSU and Gen 2 cables works only with a Gen 2 PSU

Yes its confusing
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

There is the Gen 1 cables that fit the old AX series which is AX 650/AX750/AX750/AX1200

The Gen 2 cables fit the AX760/AX760i/AX860/AX860i/AX1200i and pretty much every other Corsair PSU

You have a AX850 so you need Gen 1 cables

Gen 1 cables works only with a Gen 1 PSU and Gen 2 cables works only with a Gen 2 PSU

Yes its confusing

Wow, now that I'm looking at it, I think you are RIGHT. The Gen 2 cables do specifically state on the corsair website that they only work for the platinum AX series.

I'm lucky, I bought these:
http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-series-ax850-ax750-ax650-individually-sleeved-modular-cables-white.html

I'm almost 100% sure those are the GEN 1 cables you are talking about since they specifically state AX850 and such.

Thank you so much for letting me know that, the website is very tricky because under the description for the Gen2 individual sleeved cables, it says 850 watts almost implying AX 850 and such! thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Ways to improve my rig? aesthetics? pics