Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Another 1440p vs 120hz or 144hz) thread lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another 1440p vs 120hz or 144hz) thread lol

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Im sure you guys are sick of these threads by now.. but this is where I need your help would you guy rather go triple monitor display at 144hz ( Asus VG248QE) or just one 1440p monitor ( asus pb278q). I will use this for everything not just gaming specific. I have seen 1440p in person it is pretty damn nice.

The reasons I am looking at triple is would like to try out nvidia surround or eyefinity, more applications utilize 1920x1080 and as of now GPUs are more efficient with 1920x1080. (not directed at you SLI titan people tongue.gif). Will last longer with set up, new games that will be ran in 1440p will make you have to upgrade more often, even tho I will upgrade when Intel 14nm chips are out rolleyes.gif Haven't decided on cards yet If you have any recommendations im open to opinions ( $1200 for GPUs).
post #2 of 33
Ive been on a single 1920*1080 screen, and honestly, its good for games, but when multitasking is put to question, it lacks, I vote either double 1440 or double 1080

As for 120Hz vs 144Hz vs More Screens, more screens will always be more cool and offer a better experience and more e-peen

Thats my opinion, lets not argue

GPU- 7950 TriFire will be the best
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 33
what games will you be playing? both screens will require beefy hardware to fully enjoy, more so for 120-144hz IMO and since you want a triple settup... im hoping you are planning on becoming "one of those SLI titan people" biggrin.gif


I have the asus vg248qe, with my 7850 i have to turn all my crysis 3 graphics to minimum (minus high res textures) to keep 110+ FPS in multiplayer 1080p.

I think if you game competitively with shooter games, go for a high refresh monitor
if you dont, i dont think it will benifit you much and you have a better chance at high/max game settings 1440p than 120+hz 1080p


TL;DR

if you want first person shooter glamour cometitively, and dont mind lowering settings: get 120hz+
if you still want a chance at seeing your hardware push 60+ fps on high settings: get 1440p
post #4 of 33
1200USD will get him 7950/7970 TriFire, 3 of those c ards will do very well in most games, with 3gb vRAM and loads of bandwidth (340GBPs when OCed)
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

1200USD will get him 7950/7970 TriFire, 3 of those c ards will do very well in most games, with 3gb vRAM and loads of bandwidth (340GBPs when OCed)

however at 3x1080p i still see those cards stumbling to achieve 60hz on high settings let alone 120hz. It may not even be fully feasible on medium settings with the latest games.

keep in mind also that my 7850 is OCed to about the same performance as a 7950ghz
if trifire 7950ghz can be overclocked to 1200mhz per core then they could possibly stand a chance.. but ive never actualy played with a monster setup like that so i can only speak in theory and hear say
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post

Im sure you guys are sick of these threads by now.. but this is where I need your help would you guy rather go triple monitor display at 144hz ( Asus VG248QE) or just one 1440p monitor ( asus pb278q). I will use this for everything not just gaming specific. I have seen 1440p in person it is pretty damn nice.

The reasons I am looking at triple is would like to try out nvidia surround or eyefinity, more applications utilize 1920x1080 and as of now GPUs are more efficient with 1920x1080. (not directed at you SLI titan people tongue.gif). Will last longer with set up, new games that will be ran in 1440p will make you have to upgrade more often, even tho I will upgrade when Intel 14nm chips are out rolleyes.gif Haven't decided on cards yet If you have any recommendations im open to opinions ( $1200 for GPUs).

Was in this situation a couple of weeks ago and then I heard about the 120hz lightboost hack that you can do to some of the 3D monitors, so I bought an Asus VG248QE and I tried the lightboost hack on it, and I liked it so much I ended up buying two more of those monitors and im running nvidia surround on those.

The thing with the lightboost hack is that you have to make sure that your framerate stays above about 115 fps. I'd suggest you read into and if anything you can always start with one monitor like I did amd take it up from there.
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp4eva View Post

Was in this situation a couple of weeks ago and then I heard about the 120hz lightboost hack that you can do to some of the 3D monitors, so I bought an Asus VG248QE and I tried the lightboost hack on it, and I liked it so much I ended up buying two more of those monitors and im running nvidia surround on those.

The thing with the lightboost hack is that you have to make sure that your framerate stays above about 115 fps. I'd suggest you read into and if anything you can always start with one monitor like I did amd take it up from there.

what games do you play, what GPUs do you have and what settings do you play on to keep your framerates up?
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

what games do you play, what GPUs do you have and what settings do you play on to keep your framerates up?

I play BF3, gw2, far cry 3, borderlands 2, skyrim and others. Atm I own 2x 580 gtx with 1.5gb each, when I had only one monitor I was able to keep most of those games at or close to 120 fps even though I had to lower some settings depending on what levels I was playing, but now that I have three monitors I can't keep my frames up.

Right now Im waiting for the 780s to come out so that I can get back into 120 fps with lightboost. It really is night and day imo.
post #9 of 33
I have a Qnix running 1440p@120hz(NO FRAME SKIPPING) with GTX570s in SLI and i can get 120hz pretty easy with most games. I would rather triple monitor 144hz monitors but like others have said it would be crazy to get enough horse power to run a game at 3240x1920/5760x1080@144hz. I have never tried the Asus 1440p monitor you have listed(don't know anyone personally that has it) so i can't speak to its quality. I have used the 144hz Asus and it is likely the best monitor out at 1080p for the price and gaming.
post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 
drum.gif
Edited by gregg1494 - 5/20/13 at 10:37pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Another 1440p vs 120hz or 144hz) thread lol