[Kotaku] Xbox One Is Not Always Online, But Seems To Restrict Used Games
SourceMod Edit: Please use proper News section formatting.
The next Xbox won't require an Internet connection to function, but could very well block used games, unless you feel like paying Microsoft some extra cash.
Wired got a look at Xbox One before today's big reveal, and they say that games will require installation to use. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” Microsoft told them.
Used games look to be blocked unless you apparently pony up money for them to be unlocked basically and we HAVE TO install our games to the 500 gig HDD? Do you have any idea how long 30-50 gigs of data from a Blu Ray drive will take to transfer to a mechanical likely 5400RPM interior laptop HDD Microsoft?
And if you wanna give your game to a friend to try out? Yeah, he's gotta pay a fee
My thoughts after watching live stream1. Sweet, slot load Blu ray drive! About farking time, enough of the stupid trays already!
2. System looks simple and decent enough all around, looks like its gonna be hefty with all that equipment just like Xbox 1 was lol. Coulda been worse but nothing really that screams "Schweeet!" when looking at it
3. 500gig HDD is a good starting space but something tells me that it may not be upgradeble/removable *Shrug*
4. Good, looks like they weren't smart and didn't screw up the controller. Whats the rating/charging/capacity of the battery? Removable?
5. Looks like they learned thier lesson on the nerfed hardware on the Kintect 1, Kintect 2 looks beefy but after trying Kintect 1, I just honestly didn't care for it and it didn't work well in my apt townhouse
6. Halo TV series? Could be cool, could royally suck/be overhyped
7. *yawwwn* Another COD? Never been a fan, moving on....
8. Special corporate deal with the NFL? Woopeee doo, how much money did Microsoft throw at them for that? Not being a football fan in general, real life or virtual, this means nothing to me.
9. Ah hell, Windows 8 Tiles all over the place on the dashboard, oh goody...... *not*
10. Backwards compatibility? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
11. I'm really not feeling or desiring a do it all system Microsoft, I wanna a sweet gaming console platform to go along with my dedicated HTPC I built, Blu ray player and xbox 360.
12. Where will the RROD generation 2 show up on this box? Lol, had to ask. Wonder how how/quiet this thing is gonna runEDIT: No backwards compatibility either, Disc or via cloud. Guess i'm keeping my Xbox 360 to keep playing some of my favorites[/B]
UPDATE: XBOX One WILL NOT FUNCTION if Kinect is not connected to the system Edited by Binary Ecyrb - 5/21/13 at 10:32pm