Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › best cooler that doesn't block ram access.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best cooler that doesn't block ram access. - Page 4

post #31 of 57
I have the Xigmatek Gaia and it doesn't interfere with my RAM. The Noctua NH-U12S and the Thermalright True Spirit 120M are both specifically designed not to block RAM slots and offer great cooling as well.
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedson3614 View Post

Someone explain the entire crazy argument on why its better to use exhaust or intake for rear radiator, it boggles my mind. Why does corsair suggest in the manual to use intake for the rad with push pull vs exhause. Wouldnt you want to get rid of all that hot air in your case and not blow it back in?
Maybe because it gives their cooler better air so they get better cooling scores?

That said if your case has top vents with exhaust fans you can pull the heat right out of case... although I still prefer cool air in. thumb.gif
Edited by doyll - 5/23/13 at 3:14pm
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCumference View Post

I have the Xigmatek Gaia and it doesn't interfere with my RAM. The Noctua NH-U12S and the Thermalright True Spirit 120M are both specifically designed not to block RAM slots and offer great cooling as well.
Not all mobo's have RAM far enough from CPU socket to clear but most do.
Noctua NH-U14S, Thermalright Macho 120 and Macho HR-02 clear most RAM too. thumb.gif
post #34 of 57
Love my Zalman CNPS9900MAX. Clears the big ol' heat spreaders on my Vengeance RAM, it's good and quiet, and it looks pretty damn cool too. No complaints. I'm running a mild overclock (4.38GHz 3930K), and I've never seen temps above about 65-67C... even when it's under heavy loads for long periods of time.

And I'm a total noob when it comes to building PCs, yet the install of the Zalman cooler was a breeze.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Formula Asus GeForce Titan Corsair Vengeance, 2133Mhz, CL9, 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Apple 23" Cinema Display  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone ST85F-P Fractal Designs Define R4 Razer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Formula Asus GeForce Titan Corsair Vengeance, 2133Mhz, CL9, 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Apple 23" Cinema Display  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone ST85F-P Fractal Designs Define R4 Razer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post

I have zalman and install wasnt bad at all. I did the install with the mobo removed and installed in the case.

It was much harder to install with the mobo in the case, but honestly it wasnt too bad.

I really really really like my zalman cpu cooler. It is quiet and does a great job keeping temps low on my fx 8350. I have a very mild OC at 4.33, but honestly I am not looking for faster OC.

send me a PM if you have any specific questions or need pictures.

Well the thing is that I really dislike to remove my mobo just for simple heatsink installation, unless I'm rebuilding on a new case.
I tend to remove and clean my heatsink and apply new thermal paste every 3-6 months without having to run into installation hassles.
Though many reviews have mentioned difficulty on getting it installed within a motherboard in their towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe530 View Post

Love my Zalman CNPS9900MAX. Clears the big ol' heat spreaders on my Vengeance RAM, it's good and quiet, and it looks pretty damn cool too. No complaints. I'm running a mild overclock (4.38GHz 3930K), and I've never seen temps above about 65-67C... even when it's under heavy loads for long periods of time.

And I'm a total noob when it comes to building PCs, yet the install of the Zalman cooler was a breeze.


Yeah I love the anesthetics of this cooler since my Phantom case has a window panel and is on top of my desk next to my monitors.
If the benches are true that it matches close to the Noctua NH-D14 or Heligon in temps, I might grab this over the Heligon.
Also how is the vibrations on the fan mount? I don't see any rubber paddings on the fan bracket and don't want to risk cracking my mobo from long term use. Also did you installed it with the mobo in your case or did you have to remove it? since you said it was a breeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Silverstone Heligon HE01 or Swiftech H220/Corsair H100i biggrin.gif

Its either air cooling or custom loop tongue.gif ...I've look at alternative kits like the XSPC Raystorm for about $144 at Frozen CPU though I can't afford any downtime to run a 24hr leak test, maintenance, etc. and currently not on my budget range at the moment. Also not fond of AIO CLCs since most in the market are Asetek OEM. I've also look at the Eisbreg 240L but the price is on newegg makes it a joke compared to close performing CLCs from NZXT and Corsair. Currently in a hard decision between the Silverstone HE01 and CNPS9900MAX.

PS. I saw your heatsink guide. Very well done and informative mate. +1 rep
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaches View Post

If the benches are true that it matches close to the Noctua NH-D14 or Heligon in temps, I might grab this over the Heligon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaches View Post

Currently in a hard decision between the Silverstone HE01 and CNPS9900MAX.

I've owned the NH-D14, the CNPS9900MAX-B, and currently have the HE01 cooling my 3770K @ 4.5GHz

It's really apples and oranges here. The Zalman is simply not comparable to the other two in terms of cooling performance. It's not a bad performer just not in the same class as the HE01 and the NH-D14. These two are equal in performance.
post #37 of 57
What Bruennis said above. thumb.gif
post #38 of 57
Heligon is much better for the fact you can replace fans and add 3 of them
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaches View Post

Yeah I love the anesthetics of this cooler since my Phantom case has a window panel and is on top of my desk next to my monitors.
If the benches are true that it matches close to the Noctua NH-D14 or Heligon in temps, I might grab this over the Heligon.
Also how is the vibrations on the fan mount? I don't see any rubber paddings on the fan bracket and don't want to risk cracking my mobo from long term use. Also did you installed it with the mobo in your case or did you have to remove it? since you said it was a breeze.
[/SIZE]

I installed it with the mobo in the case. It was no problem with the included long allen wrench.

And as for vibrations, I have noticed anything. It got a good four solid hours of abuse last night now that I finally got Crysis 3 running. Max temp I saw was 67C.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Formula Asus GeForce Titan Corsair Vengeance, 2133Mhz, CL9, 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Apple 23" Cinema Display  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone ST85F-P Fractal Designs Define R4 Razer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Formula Asus GeForce Titan Corsair Vengeance, 2133Mhz, CL9, 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Apple 23" Cinema Display  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Silverstone ST85F-P Fractal Designs Define R4 Razer Taipan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 57
So heres my conclusion on these two coolers on my personal findings and OCN's feedback smile.gif



CNPS9900MAX

Pros
1) Looks Sexy and Lightweight
2) LED Fan
3) Cooling performance is reported to be decent or on par with highend coolers (but debatable by other sources)
4) RAM Clearance on both LGA 1155 and 2011 Mobos

Cons
1) Proprietary fan mount/design, no option to replace/add third party fans
2) Fan not replaceable if fails after warranty period of ownership
3) Awkward backplate/mounting solution and seems to well mentioned everywhere I go.
4) Vibration seems to be mentioned in some places by reviewers at newegg and reports of cracked motherboards
5) 3 Heatpipes
6) More Expensive than the heligon by a slight margin

Silverstone Heligon HE01

Pros
1) Comes with huge High static pressure fan with high CFM
2) Clips for Moar fans options
3) Performs close or = to high end coolers such Phanteks and Noctua NH-D14 according to some sources
4) Doesn't Block RAM slots on LGA 1155 boards
5) 6 Heatpipes
6) Fan RPM Switch
7) Well designed backplate and simple installation
8) cheaper than the CNPS9900MAX by a slight margin

Cons
1) Xbox huge (well just like any other high end air cooler)
2) Ram clearance issues on LGA 2011 motherboards (rear dimm slots)
3) Heavy looking being nearly 1 kilogram in weight.
4) Ugly and having no sex appeal tongue.gif

It seems a better choice to grab the Heligon over the CNPS9900MAX...though my Asrock Z77 motherboard PCB is flimsy like many reviews has stated and is afraid of the weight of this monster. I won't back down because of this. Thanks mates for your feedback.

Gonna grab the Heligon by Monday....Or I could aways go full retard and get both to bench and install either on both of my PCs :3 Just kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe530 View Post

I installed it with the mobo in the case. It was no problem with the included long allen wrench.

And as for vibrations, I have noticed anything. It got a good four solid hours of abuse last night now that I finally got Crysis 3 running. Max temp I saw was 67C.

My Hyper 212 Evo doesn't go beyond 60 degrees Celsius @4.0Ghz in games like Planetside 2 in a middle of a CPU bottleneck in large battles, which is known to be as one of those CPU heavy game of this generation with the exception of Prime95 which can go as high to 68C in a one hour burn in blend test.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › best cooler that doesn't block ram access.