Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3D] AMD loses 2nd place processor market, now 4th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Guru3D] AMD loses 2nd place processor market, now 4th - Page 5

post #41 of 96

Intel has 65% of marketshare, that IS a monopoly!

 

And stop telling me that Im a fanboy or things of babies like that, if AMD felt into ruin, then, there would´t be innovation, becouse innovation happends when two (or more) compete to have the best thing, if there is only one, it doesn´t have anyone to compete with, so we won´t see adavanced things each day

 

So just put things where they are, and thats the sad part of all this world arrund CPUs

post #42 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_47 View Post

APU's might be worthless as tits on a bull at the moment, but you can quote me when I say this, CPU and GPU on a single chip IS the future for gaming. get rid of bulky graphics cards, give us some GDDR6 Ram Slots, call it a day... when you want to upgrade, its just one chip and one cooler biggrin.gif

Except then I have to pay for both, even if I only want one. Who wants to be forced to upgrade to Haswell just because they want a 780, for example.

You're right, though, it is the future.
post #43 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtKck View Post

You are aware that they have a GPU division that is competing well with NVIDIA, right?
pound for pound right now nvidia cards are better than radeons. as for market share i'd like to see numbers..
i'm pretty sure amd is not in a good position to fight intel and nvidia. this is just my opinion but i have a feeling nvidia is downplaying the numbers so they can link up with intel and once that happens it's a wrap.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Intel just needs to buy Nvidia

Please explain me more on this since I often don't understand what you are talking about.
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark77 View Post

Yes ,amd need a comeback in terms of cpu.But on the gpu side they still owning with amazing prices and good products:)

Actually, those amazing prices are an indication that they are in fact not owning in the GPU market. AMD doesn't price their graphics cards so low because they're kind-hearted and love consumers, they do it because if they priced their cards any higher, nobody except their most hardcore supporters would be buying the cards. Look at the price and game bundles (ie value) of AMD cards compared to nVidia, then check the steam hardware survey. AMD still seems to have a very serious image problem and they have a hard time selling their products because of it.
Edited by Vonnis - 5/21/13 at 4:12pm
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnis View Post

Actually, those amazing prices are an indication that they are in fact not owning in the GPU market. AMD doesn't price their graphics cards so low because they're kind-hearted and love consumers, they do it because if they priced their cards any higher, nobody except their most hardcore supporters would be buying the cards. Look at the price and game bundles (ie value) of AMD cards compared to nVidia, then check the steam hardware survey. AMD still seems to have a very serious image problem and they have a hard time selling their products because of it.

^ This.

To further support your point with data, here's the market share by quarter for discrete GPUs in 2012:
Code:
BRAND   Q1'12 Q2'12 Q3'12 Q4'12
-------------------------------
AMD     37.8% 40.3% 35.7% 34.3%
NVIDIA  61.9% 59.3% 64.0% 65.7%

Also, here's the Steam Survey numbers of current-gen 1080p-capable cards (except the 650 Ti Boost, 690, Titan, and 7990; they haven't sold enough units to date to even merit charting)
Code:
GTX 670    2.34% of DX11-capable cards on Steam
GTX 660    2.16% (92.3% of 670's registrations)
GTX 660 Ti 1.85% (79.1% of 670's registrations)
GTX 680    1.80% (76.9% of 670's registrations)
HD 7850    1.79% (76.5% of 670's registrations)
HD 7870    1.10% (47.0% of 670's registrations)
HD 7950    1.07% (45.7% of 670's registrations)
HD 7970    1.06% (45.3% of 670's registrations)

Based on those numbers, the only current-gen AMD card that has sold in numbers at all comparable with its NVIDIA competitor is the 7850. Unfortunately for AMD, it's the lowest-priced and least-profitable card of the bunch.
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 96

It seems crazy that the GTX 680 outnumbers both 7850s and 7870s in that Steam survey.  If that's right (hard to tell without the sample size), that can't be good for AMD.

post #48 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

It seems crazy that the GTX 680 outnumbers both 7850s and 7870s in that Steam survey.  If that's right (hard to tell without the sample size), that can't be good for AMD.

I'll admit that without knowing the exact methodology of the survey it's hard to be 100% confident of the results, but I also can't think of a reason for any significant disparity between survey results and actual sales numbers when it comes to the $200+ cards that I listed. At the very least, Steam has no incentive to intentionally skew the results.
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 96
What impresses me the most with Intel is how they can hold such a large part of the market and still price their processors (relatively) reasonably.
post #50 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by svenge

 

I'll admit that without knowing the exact methodology of the survey it's hard to be 100% confident of the results, but I also can't think of a reason for any significant disparity between survey results and actual sales numbers when it comes to the $200+ cards that I listed. At the very least, Steam has no incentive to intentionally skew the results.

I agree, I think they are probably pretty representative - there's no reason why Nvidia users would allow the survey to collect data but for AMD users not to, for instance.  I'd just like to know the actual numbers.  Didn't they used to show the numbers, or am I misremembering that?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3D] AMD loses 2nd place processor market, now 4th