Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Achieva Shimian Monitor with Thunderbolt Hard Drive Issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Achieva Shimian Monitor with Thunderbolt Hard Drive Issues

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I just bought a 6TB Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt Hard Drive and I am having nothing but issues trying to get it to work with my Shimian Monitor running diasy-chained to my 2011 MacBook Pro.
Has anyone been able to get this combo to work successfully?
Does anyone know of a solution?

I have been searching the internet for 2 days now with no luck on a solution.
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadAndreo View Post

I just bought a 6TB Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt Hard Drive and I am having nothing but issues trying to get it to work with my Shimian Monitor running diasy-chained to my 2011 MacBook Pro.
Has anyone been able to get this combo to work successfully?
Does anyone know of a solution?

I have been searching the internet for 2 days now with no luck on a solution.
how are you connecting the Shimian to your macbook pro? And which Shimian do you have?
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite
I connect the dual link to the hard drive and then the hard drive to the MacBook with a thunderbolt cable.
I think that's the only possible way to connect both to a MacBook.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadAndreo View Post

ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite
I connect the dual link to the hard drive and then the hard drive to the MacBook with a thunderbolt cable.
I think that's the only possible way to connect both to a MacBook.
So, I'm guessing you have an active DP/TB -> DL-DVI adapter, and it works without having the LaCie in the chain?
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

So, I'm guessing you have an active DP/TB -> DL-DVI adapter, and it works without having the LaCie in the chain?

I use the monoprice Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI cable.
It's works fine when connected directly to the MacBook, but I do have the occasional black screen problem on initial startup or when the computer wakes from sleep mode.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
bump for help
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadAndreo View Post

I use the monoprice Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI cable.
It's works fine when connected directly to the MacBook, but I do have the occasional black screen problem on initial startup or when the computer wakes from sleep mode.
That's a tough one. It *should* work - but it maybe the mixing of TB signals, DisplayPort signals and a Dual-Link DVI adapter is making it not.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Im surprised with how popular these monitors are that no one is running a similar setup.
If I can get both of these things to work together, it will make video editing a much better experience.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadAndreo View Post

Im surprised with how popular these monitors are that no one is running a similar setup.
If I can get both of these things to work together, it will make video editing a much better experience.
Well...

A 6TB Lacie TB external drive isn't exactly a value buy, whereas a Shimian (or any other korean monitor) is definitely a value buy. Generally if you have the money to pay the premium for a Lacie 2Big TB drive, you'd have the money to pay the premium for something more suited to a MacBook Pro (Apple Cinema Display/Apple Thunderbolt Display, or equivalent multi-input 27" QHD from another vendor such as Dell U2713hm), one which one doesn't have to jump through hoops to get to work. Not insinuate that the OP doesn't have the money, mind you, but if you're getting a Lacie 2Big drive, you might as well get an Apple Thunderbolt Display too while you're at it, to go along with your MacBook Pro, as all three represent an arguably premium experience for a premium price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Achieva Shimian Monitor with Thunderbolt Hard Drive Issues