Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX 780 Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] GTX 780 Reviews - Page 70

post #691 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Sure: http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/909/909377_27.shtml, as I said within ~5%.

What is this site? At least use anandtech or something.
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #692 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Errr, what?

More VRAM: useless for non-surround resolutions, 2560/below 2GB is more than enough still.
More bandwidth: that doesn't matter, performance matters.
More performance: they're trading blows across various games/settings, so.... it's not an "advantage" over anything.
More overclocking headroom: ???? They both are good oc'ers.
More gains/clock: Debatable, they end up basically the same in the end anyway.
More fluid gameplay: ????? Crossfire is completely borked still for frametimes and single-card is somewhat improved but not as good as the 680 still.
Free games: They're worth about $40 on ebay. In fact, I paid $30 for the entire bundle...

Oh, and the 7970 runs hotter, louder, draws more power, has slower driver updates for new titles, lacks physx, won't have nVidia's "shadow play" (hardware video encoding for game recording, sounds AWESOME soon), and has a lot of driver glitches in general compared to nVidia's stuff (source: every review) that tend to be more severe than ones nVidia has when they occur.

Vram: 2GB is the bare minium for gaming these days and alot of them are using far more than 1.5GB of Vram even at 1080p, i don't even understand your argument here? Do not want more memory for a cheaper price lol? What are you trying to prove exactly? That 2GB is better than 3GB?
Bandwidth: It does matter and it's evident when the 7970 increases the gap between it and the 680 when alot of AA is applied or the resolution is increased. So yea...
Overclocking: Yes, but one isn't constricted by stupid voltage locks put in place to make refreshes look appealing down the road.
More gains/clock: Not debateable, it's a fact.
More Fluid gameplay: single 7970 is better than a GTX680 http://techreport.com/review/24832/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-graphics-card-reviewed beats it in all frametimes. They are working on CFX and that's why i said single card
Free games: Subjective, if you want to play the games you save $160, if you do not you could sell them for alittle under $100 on ebay. Still significantly more than anything you get with the 680.

Hotter and louder? Most GE cards use third party cooling - this is a non issue, slower driver updates, because waiting 2 days for that metro (Nvidia sponsored game) fix was soo terrible (don't forget tomb raider). Lacks PhysX? Yea, the software used in a game or two every year and that comes with a substantial performance hit when applied? Please...

It does draw more power an entire 8 watts more...
Edited by th3illusiveman - 5/23/13 at 4:33pm
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #693 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Sure: http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/909/909377_27.shtml, as I said within ~5%.

And once again

1) it's 3dmark
2)Titan memory wasn't OC'd at all
3)Stock bios on both cards
4)GPU score difference is actually 7.5%...
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
post #694 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeeo View Post

lol @ a review thread becoming flame / price wars. You guys are sad thumb.gif

I'm just correcting obvious disinformation that I see. Whether someone buys a 7970 or a GTX 780 is wholly unimportant to me, and won't affect how my card performs thumb.gif . I guess as they say though with that meme picture of the guy at his desk annoyed because "someone's WRONG on the internet!"... yeah, I should probably give up trying to fix it.
The Sig Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4.xghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) MSI GTX 970 Gaming SLI @ 1504mhz core/8020mhz m... 16GB DDR3 2x 8gb @ 1866mhz C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Sandisk Extreme A few 2tb hdd's. DVDRW Corsair H75 CLC on the CPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ACER B326hk 4k 60hz 3840x2160 IPS sst display Coolermaster Cherry MX Brown switch mechanical ... Corsair TX 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Logitech MX518 EverGlide Titan "Medium" Soundblaster Z PCIE 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4.xghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) MSI GTX 970 Gaming SLI @ 1504mhz core/8020mhz m... 16GB DDR3 2x 8gb @ 1866mhz C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Sandisk Extreme A few 2tb hdd's. DVDRW Corsair H75 CLC on the CPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ACER B326hk 4k 60hz 3840x2160 IPS sst display Coolermaster Cherry MX Brown switch mechanical ... Corsair TX 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Logitech MX518 EverGlide Titan "Medium" Soundblaster Z PCIE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #695 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

Well it's not my fault. It's the games they use and they use many of them, maybe the most of all reviewers.

But in newer games I usually see AMD ahead of 680 indeed. So the diff. between 780 and 7970GE could be even smaller.

Do you realize the fallacy in your argument? You're basing your argument on that graph (a graph that shows 670 is faster than 7970) to explain away the performance difference between 780 and 7970GHz. rolleyes.gif

Not to mention reviewers are using newer games to review the card, obviously.

Fact: 780 is 20-25% faster than 7970GHz.
 
Surface Pro 3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3720QM @ 2.6GHz/3.6GHz Turbo  HM77 Geforce GT650M 1GB GDDR5 @ 900MHz 16GB @ 1600MHz  
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB Samsung PM830 SSD OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion 2880x1800 Retina Display 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5-4300U @1.9GHz/2.5GHz Turbo Intel HD4400 8GB @ 1600MHz 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro 2160x1440 ClearType HD  Surface Pro Type Cover 3 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Surface Pro 3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3720QM @ 2.6GHz/3.6GHz Turbo  HM77 Geforce GT650M 1GB GDDR5 @ 900MHz 16GB @ 1600MHz  
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB Samsung PM830 SSD OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion 2880x1800 Retina Display 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5-4300U @1.9GHz/2.5GHz Turbo Intel HD4400 8GB @ 1600MHz 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro 2160x1440 ClearType HD  Surface Pro Type Cover 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #696 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

My biggest problem with statements like this is.... well, what you just said.

Your statement does not take into account how pricing and product strategy stands while taking into account sales, volume, board partner revenue, etc.

There are MANY ways to make a product profitable, and some of it is not by sheer "price we sell XYZ product at" logic.

Frankly AMD can only price their product the same way: flagship for cheaper. Or, fund/control the messaging end users receive by emphasizing on game bundles, product features, etc etc.

This gets into other details about business in the tech industry, in this "channel".

-alex

Ok, not sure why you went into details. We pretty much know all the factors. Ofc it's not simple. But things has changed and I think it will affect pricing. I was saying if there is AMD's card coming tomorrow that would have better performance than Titan, it would cost >1k. That's something we never had before. Well, we never had 1k card either tho.
post #697 of 2543

about 3-7% average percent difference from a Titan, for $350 less, this is officially the best bang for your buck single GPU.
I heard they will be lowering to 550 soon is this true?
post #698 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairvoyant129 View Post

Do you realize the fallacy in your argument? You're basing your argument on that graph (a graph that shows 670 is faster than 7970) to explain away the performance difference between 780 and 7970GHz. rolleyes.gif

Not to mention reviewers are using newer games to review the card, obviously.

Fact: 780 is 20-25% faster than 7970GHz.

biggrin.gif

ok, you make a review with more games and I will use your graphs thumb.gif
post #699 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

And once again

1) it's 3dmark
2)Titan memory wasn't OC'd at all
3)Stock bios on both cards
4)GPU score difference is actually 7.5%...

It's not easy to find direct comparisons in reviews yet, and that is their max oc vs. their max oc, so I fail to see the nitpicking issue here (memory oc only really helps synthetics anyway for titan). And, 7.5%, vs. 5% then, if you want to use just the GPU score instead of the actual score... what's that, 52-53fps instead of 50 in an actual game? Yep, that's worth 54% more money ($350). That's not price-performance or even "getting the best", that's just outright waste.
The Sig Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4.xghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) MSI GTX 970 Gaming SLI @ 1504mhz core/8020mhz m... 16GB DDR3 2x 8gb @ 1866mhz C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Sandisk Extreme A few 2tb hdd's. DVDRW Corsair H75 CLC on the CPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ACER B326hk 4k 60hz 3840x2160 IPS sst display Coolermaster Cherry MX Brown switch mechanical ... Corsair TX 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Logitech MX518 EverGlide Titan "Medium" Soundblaster Z PCIE 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4.xghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) MSI GTX 970 Gaming SLI @ 1504mhz core/8020mhz m... 16GB DDR3 2x 8gb @ 1866mhz C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Sandisk Extreme A few 2tb hdd's. DVDRW Corsair H75 CLC on the CPU 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ACER B326hk 4k 60hz 3840x2160 IPS sst display Coolermaster Cherry MX Brown switch mechanical ... Corsair TX 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Logitech MX518 EverGlide Titan "Medium" Soundblaster Z PCIE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #700 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

I know but AMD making console chips hardly helps us as hardware enthusiasts...

I'd say that anything that helps keep AMD afloat despite their ever-dwindling market share in both discrete GPUs and CPUs would be classed as helpful, at least for those who believe in the "competition theory" of pricing...
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX 780 Reviews