Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Working Correctly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Working Correctly?

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
Decided to go ahead and give folding a try and went through one of the guides for setting it up, however I'm not entirely sure if mine's working correctly or not.

After setting it up, this is what I see:



Progress and ETA are both showing unknown and it's been like that for a few minutes.


Just wanted to get some insight as I am new to all of this and want to make sure that everything is running smoothly as I plan to fold every once in a while.




Just noticed it slightly moved up on each, stopped it on the GPU and left it for the CPU for now. Which would would I be better off using if I wanted to use my PC while folding?




Also just noticed that each had 1 fail on them, not sure why. Would it have anything to do with the fact I paused them at one point or due to my CPU overclock which seems to be stable (12+ Hrs P95, 10 runs IBT, 10 runs LinX)



Edited by CS14 - 5/23/13 at 1:03pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS14 View Post

Decided to go ahead and give folding a try and went through one of the guides for setting it up, however I'm not entirely sure if mine's working correctly or not.

After setting it up, this is what I see:



Progress and ETA are both showing unknown and it's been like that for a few minutes.


Just wanted to get some insight as I am new to all of this and want to make sure that everything is running smoothly as I plan to fold every once in a while.

Your GPU is gonna score better than your CPU, I saw someone mention something like 25k PPD on a 7770, while a 965 will struggle to get 10k in Windows. However, the unit you are running right in your screenshot (on the GPU) hogs CPU cycles, ~1 core, and will make CPU folding slow down by a a huge amount. You can add a flag to your GPU slot to make it grab better units: http://www.overclock.net/t/1367557/core-17-beta-wu
Use with caution though, as it still in beta and while you should get such unit if you set up the option for it, there is no guarantee.

As you discovered the client will take some time to update the progress and ETA numbers, usually takes three frames, there are many WU's and they can vary a lot in their TPF (time per frame/percent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS14 View Post

Just noticed it slightly moved up on each, stopped it on the GPU and left it for the CPU for now. Which would would I be better off using if I wanted to use my PC while folding?

I have not had any interference from CPU-only folding on normal computer activities, some report that folding on the GPU makes for a very choppy experience. Though I folded a bit on my 6970 a few days ago and it wasn't a problem (for normal desktop work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS14 View Post

Also just noticed that each had 1 fail on them, not sure why. Would it have anything to do with the fact I paused them at one point or due to my CPU overclock which seems to be stable (12+ Hrs P95, 10 runs IBT, 10 runs LinX)



The "failed" comes from you pausing the slot, it's how HFM displays it and your units didn't fail, completely normal.
Frigg d.y.
(23 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K@4600MHz 1.288V ASUS P8Z68-V EVGA Geforce GTX780Ti@1293MHz 2x4GB G.Skill TrindentX 2400 CL10@2133 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force F60 2.5" SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" SSD EK-Supremacy CSQ Full Nickel EK-FC Titan Nickel CSQ 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool VPP655 w/ EK D5 X-Top Rev.2 EK-Coolstream Rad XTX 360 & XSPC RS240 Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir 3xScythe GT AP-15@7V, 2xNexus Real Silent 120mm... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 16 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit Qix Qx2710LED Evolution II 2560x1440 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Keycool 84 w/ Cherry MX Clear  Enermax Platimax 1500W NZXT H630 Func MS3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Qpad Sweclockers Edition BRIK DAC & AMP Ducky DK9008G2 Pro w/ Cherry MX Clear  
  hide details  
Reply
Frigg d.y.
(23 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K@4600MHz 1.288V ASUS P8Z68-V EVGA Geforce GTX780Ti@1293MHz 2x4GB G.Skill TrindentX 2400 CL10@2133 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force F60 2.5" SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" SSD EK-Supremacy CSQ Full Nickel EK-FC Titan Nickel CSQ 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool VPP655 w/ EK D5 X-Top Rev.2 EK-Coolstream Rad XTX 360 & XSPC RS240 Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir 3xScythe GT AP-15@7V, 2xNexus Real Silent 120mm... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 16 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit Qix Qx2710LED Evolution II 2560x1440 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Keycool 84 w/ Cherry MX Clear  Enermax Platimax 1500W NZXT H630 Func MS3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Qpad Sweclockers Edition BRIK DAC & AMP Ducky DK9008G2 Pro w/ Cherry MX Clear  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 3
Thread Starter 
Alright, thanks for your reply and help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Working Correctly?