Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › What memory speed do i need ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What memory speed do i need ?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hi

I'm thinking of getting a system with a 3570k and ASRock Z77 OC Formula mb.

What memory speed is recommended for this system. Is 1600Mhz enough or should I get 1866 or 2133 ?

I saw a kit of 2x4GB Dominator 1600 memory used for sale at a good price. This one: http://www.pcgarage.ro/memorii/corsair/dominator-rev-a-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-cl9-dual-channel-kit/ It is at 1.65V though. Is that a high voltage ? Too high ?

Should I go for 1866 or 2133 instead, and maybe a cheaper brand ?


Also is the memory clock related to the cpu clock in any way with Ivy Bridge ? I have a dual core system now and i'm not much in the know, in LGA775 it is a multiple of the cpu clock.

Thanks
post #2 of 8
The memory bus is now separate from the CPU bus provided you leave BCLK at stock; else, its tied to CPU freq.
With memory prices as low as they are, get the fastest memory you can afford running at 1.65v or less.
See G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231554
The Money Trap
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe 2 x EVGA GTX980 SLI 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Games = Crucial 256GB M4 SSD OS = Samsung 256GB 830 SSD Backup Western Digital HDDs  Samsung 223 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Phanteks PH-TC-14PE  Win 7 x64 Ultimate  Dell U2412M 1920x1200 Antec TPQ 1200W 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF 932 UPS: APC BackUPS XS1500 
  hide details  
Reply
The Money Trap
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe 2 x EVGA GTX980 SLI 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Games = Crucial 256GB M4 SSD OS = Samsung 256GB 830 SSD Backup Western Digital HDDs  Samsung 223 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Phanteks PH-TC-14PE  Win 7 x64 Ultimate  Dell U2412M 1920x1200 Antec TPQ 1200W 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF 932 UPS: APC BackUPS XS1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Picking from what's available from the store you linked, this is a good kit if you want to stick with 1600MHz. It's standard 1.50V and tighter than average timings for a 1600MHz kit and still cheaper than the Dominators.

http://www.pcgarage.ro/memorii/crucial/ballistix-tactical-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-cl8-dual-channel-kit/

If you want to go for some faster RAM, this Mushkin kit is decent. Still just 1.50V and 2133MHz, CL10. I've had several Red-Line kits from Mushkin in the past and they make good RAM. smile.gif


http://www.pcgarage.ro/memorii/mushkin/8gb-ddr3-2133mhz-cl10-dual-channel-kit-blackline-frostbyte/
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Not necessarily from that store, but thanks for giving some ideeas.

The Dominators I would be getting used for about half price.

From Gskill I searched a little and they are: 1866Mhz (Ripjaws X) for about 1.7xprice of the used Dominators(1600) and 2133 is 2xtimes the price. Would they be worth under these conditions ?

Wow, those Mushkins you linked Francis are not cheap, they are dirt cheap. I wonder why, I thought Mushkin were good and pretty upscale.

I also like Crucial. How are Crucial compared to Mushkin ?


I also heard a lot of good things about Hynix. Are there any memories that use Hynix chips from the ones mentioned or others ?

What other good chips brand are there and to be on the lookout for ?
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre02 View Post

Not necessarily from that store, but thanks for giving some ideeas.

The Dominators I would be getting used for about half price.

From Gskill I searched a little and they are: 1866Mhz (Ripjaws X) for about 1.7xprice of the used Dominators(1600) and 2133 is 2xtimes the price. Would they be worth under these conditions ?

Wow, those Mushkins you linked Francis are not cheap, they are dirt cheap. I wonder why, I thought Mushkin were good and pretty upscale.

I also like Crucial. How are Crucial compared to Mushkin ?


I also heard a lot of good things about Hynix. Are there any memories that use Hynix chips from the ones mentioned or others ?

What other good chips brand are there and to be on the lookout for ?

Yeah I'm not sure why the Mushkins are so cheap. I've run 5 Mushkin kits altogether and have never had a problem with their RAM. At least in my experience, they've been very reliable. thumb.gif
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
They are not in stock right now, maybe they will come with higher price, I don't know. Or maybe not.

Hmm, the RipjawsX are using Hynix ? Seems so from this review: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/47181-gskill-ripjawsx-f3-17000c11d-8gbxl/ I wonder if all speeds use them, but I think so.

I wish they'd come in black and with lower heatsinks.

Which chips are better between Hynix and Micron as a brand in terms of reliability, stability ?
Edited by andre02 - 5/24/13 at 12:01pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre02 View Post


Which chips are better between Hynix and Micron as a brand in terms of reliability, stability ?
Micron ...
The Money Trap
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe 2 x EVGA GTX980 SLI 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Games = Crucial 256GB M4 SSD OS = Samsung 256GB 830 SSD Backup Western Digital HDDs  Samsung 223 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Phanteks PH-TC-14PE  Win 7 x64 Ultimate  Dell U2412M 1920x1200 Antec TPQ 1200W 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF 932 UPS: APC BackUPS XS1500 
  hide details  
Reply
The Money Trap
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe 2 x EVGA GTX980 SLI 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Games = Crucial 256GB M4 SSD OS = Samsung 256GB 830 SSD Backup Western Digital HDDs  Samsung 223 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Phanteks PH-TC-14PE  Win 7 x64 Ultimate  Dell U2412M 1920x1200 Antec TPQ 1200W 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF 932 UPS: APC BackUPS XS1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post

If you want to go for some faster RAM, this Mushkin kit is decent. Still just 1.50V and 2133MHz, CL10. I've had several Red-Line kits from Mushkin in the past and they make good RAM. smile.gif


http://www.pcgarage.ro/memorii/mushkin/8gb-ddr3-2133mhz-cl10-dual-channel-kit-blackline-frostbyte/

Good kit that I'm using myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › What memory speed do i need ?