You found a 9K BTU window unit that is still 115V.You probably should have upped the AC unit to 10K BTU and had a separate 220 line run for the AC unit. Protecting from real surges (like lighting strikes) starts at the breaker box for your home. Do some looking around at your breaker box and see if the 115v line to your room is on a 20 amp or a 15 amp breaker. It would give that bit of a overload safety margin if everything (not just the breaker) was 20A capable. The call if your room is overload electrically depends on the draw of the window unit and the draw of all else on the same circuit.
post #11 of 11
5/24/13 at 9:34pm