Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Fx 8350 or haswell i5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fx 8350 or haswell i5 - Page 7  

post #61 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

smile.gif
You just don't seem to get it do you? There are already games now that use 8 cores and amd sucks in them. Why do you think they'll magically start beating intel?

Why don't you refer to the BF3 videos of a 3770k/8350 I posted on page 5 of this thread. These videos are from a fellow on the anandtech forums who goes my Atenra, a totally unbiased source from the internet, not a corporate review website benchmarking single player performance. Just a guy with both systems. It sure looks like the FX8350 is sucking vs a 3770k with HT on... Please quit giving out bad information.


Now I'm not saying AMD or Intel is better because it really depends on what you're using your PC for. But lets be real if you're purchasing a CPU based solely on DX9 benchmarks in single player games than I'm sure you would be happy with any processor you choose.
    
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Asus R9 290x  G.skill trident x 2400mhz CL10 16gb 128GB OCZ SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Blu-ray Swiftech H220 Win7 ASUS VG248QE 120hz Lightboost/Asus 23"  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair 400R Logitech G9x Steel series 
  hide details  
    
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Asus R9 290x  G.skill trident x 2400mhz CL10 16gb 128GB OCZ SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Blu-ray Swiftech H220 Win7 ASUS VG248QE 120hz Lightboost/Asus 23"  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair 400R Logitech G9x Steel series 
  hide details  
post #62 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStick89 View Post

Why don't you refer to the BF3 videos of a 3770k/8350 I posted on page 5 of this thread. These videos are from a fellow on the anandtech forums who goes my Atenra, a totally unbiased source from the internet, not a corporate review website benchmarking single player performance. Just a guy with both systems. It sure looks like the FX8350 is sucking vs a 3770k with HT on... Please quit giving out bad information.


Now I'm not saying AMD or Intel is better because it really depends on what you're using your PC for. But lets be real if you're purchasing a CPU based solely on DX9 benchmarks in single player games than I'm sure you would be happy with any processor you choose.

If you read the Anandtech forums you would see that Atenra is a huge AMD fanboy so that video is irrelevant. Stick to actual reviews, not shills or fanboys posting their own "results" on youtube.
post #63 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

If you read the Anandtech forums you would see that Atenra is a huge AMD fanboy so that video is irrelevant. Stick to actual reviews, not shills or fanboys posting their own "results" on youtube.

Can you please tell me what is flawed with his testing? From the video I can't seem to find any discrepancies besides the fact that he doesn't pull up the scoreboard to show actual 64 player slots filled. Obviously you can't get a perfect benchmark running around online but I also don't believe you should use single player benchmarks to gauge multiplayer performance.
    
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Asus R9 290x  G.skill trident x 2400mhz CL10 16gb 128GB OCZ SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Blu-ray Swiftech H220 Win7 ASUS VG248QE 120hz Lightboost/Asus 23"  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair 400R Logitech G9x Steel series 
  hide details  
    
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Asus R9 290x  G.skill trident x 2400mhz CL10 16gb 128GB OCZ SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Blu-ray Swiftech H220 Win7 ASUS VG248QE 120hz Lightboost/Asus 23"  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair 400R Logitech G9x Steel series 
  hide details  
post #64 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStick89 View Post

Can you please tell me what is flawed with his testing? From the video I can't seem to find any discrepancies besides the fact that he doesn't pull up the scoreboard to show actual 64 player slots filled. Obviously you can't get a perfect benchmark running around online but I also don't believe you should use single player benchmarks to gauge multiplayer performance.

It's because he is extremely biased. He has a pro-amd blog that he keeps trying to link on those forums, he has been shilling for AMD since bulldozer released. When you're biased you find ways to taint the results to support your bias.
post #65 of 488
Thread Starter 
Why is it so hard to pick a processor I might just say f it buy the amd and if it sucks I'll wait till the next amd processors to come out lol
post #66 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kole208 View Post

Why is it so hard to pick a processor I might just say f it buy the amd and if it sucks I'll wait till the next amd processors to come out lol

It wont "suck"!!! I happen to have the 8350, its clocked at 5ghz, and guess what, it plays every single game. From reading this thread, I would think that my 8350 is so bad that I wouldnt even be able to turn on my pc. I can understand people have brand loyalties and I think thats great, have pride in what you like and what you use. Either way go AMD, Go Intel, I gaurantee they will both play modern games. If AMD was really that bad do you think anyone on here would own one? Pick what suits you man and be happy, there are clubs for both teams and you will get great support from both.
 
Intel Rig
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930k Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EVGA GTX 1080ti SC Black Gskill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston hyperx 3k  WD  Crucial M500 Asus dvd rw 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RX480 XSPC RX480 XSPC RX240 XSPC EX240 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK GTX 1080ti water block Mcp35x Windows 10 Xstar 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Corsair AX1200 Corsair 900D Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Corsair MM200 Creative Sound Blaster Z M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
 
Intel Rig
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4930k Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EVGA GTX 1080ti SC Black Gskill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston hyperx 3k  WD  Crucial M500 Asus dvd rw 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RX480 XSPC RX480 XSPC RX240 XSPC EX240 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK GTX 1080ti water block Mcp35x Windows 10 Xstar 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Corsair AX1200 Corsair 900D Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Corsair MM200 Creative Sound Blaster Z M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
post #67 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kole208 View Post

Why is it so hard to pick a processor I might just say f it buy the amd and if it sucks I'll wait till the next amd processors to come out lol

might be your best option with your budget and such and i can assure you there isnt realy a huge difference either way that you will notice period if there is overclock and do a bit of tweaking with ram and Nb and all will be good.

if you go AMD FX 8350 get a good set of 1866mhz with tightest timings can find then simply set in bios to 1866mhz@1t and away you go if you dont like results then overclock the CPU then tweak the NB to around 2400mhz-2600mhz remember AMD overclocking is a bit different and buy a good quality motherboard like asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 has some of best results for its price along with 5yr warranty and leaves you plenty options for overclocking and upgrading later to steamroller.
Edited by rickcooperjr - 5/25/13 at 4:05pm
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
post #68 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kole208 View Post

Why is it so hard to pick a processor I might just say f it buy the amd and if it sucks I'll wait till the next amd processors to come out lol
honestly, if you say f it and buy the amd 8350 you're not going to be disappointed, if you buy the haswell or ivy/sandy you're not going to be disappointed, at those levels you're going to get a great processor. Just look at both sides of the debate in the thread, everybody loves their chosen processor to the point they are willing to fight. BOTH have pro's and con's, if money is not an issue and you have a printing press get the INTEL, if you're on a budget and want the most for your buck overall, get the AMD
Dark Nova
(20 items)
 
 
New HAF-X Build
(37 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Black Edition ASUS 990FX MSI R7950 Twin Frozr III Boost Corsiar XMS 3 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsiar XMS 3 corsair xms3 corsair xms3 crucial m4 ssd 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LiteOn DVD Burner antec kuhler 920 yate loon 120mm HS x4 yate loon 120mm MS x3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
cooler master 200mm windows 8 pro HP 2011x CM storm quick fire 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
thermaltake m smart series 850 watt cooler master HAF-X logitech m705 logitech G930 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 3970X MSI Big Bang-XPower II LGA 2011 Intel X79  MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Radeon HD 7970  MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Radeon HD 7970  
CoolingMonitorMonitorMonitor
custom water cooling from various manufacturers HP 2011x HP 2011x HP 2011x 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling MK III 750 BitFenix Colossus Venom 
  hide details  
Dark Nova
(20 items)
 
 
New HAF-X Build
(37 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Black Edition ASUS 990FX MSI R7950 Twin Frozr III Boost Corsiar XMS 3 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsiar XMS 3 corsair xms3 corsair xms3 crucial m4 ssd 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LiteOn DVD Burner antec kuhler 920 yate loon 120mm HS x4 yate loon 120mm MS x3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
cooler master 200mm windows 8 pro HP 2011x CM storm quick fire 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
thermaltake m smart series 850 watt cooler master HAF-X logitech m705 logitech G930 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 3970X MSI Big Bang-XPower II LGA 2011 Intel X79  MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Radeon HD 7970  MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE Radeon HD 7970  
CoolingMonitorMonitorMonitor
custom water cooling from various manufacturers HP 2011x HP 2011x HP 2011x 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling MK III 750 BitFenix Colossus Venom 
  hide details  
post #69 of 488
Cleaned.

Back to the topic:

There's no reason to buy an inferior product (for gaming purposes) on the basis that "it's enough", "you can't notice the difference", "the other option is only a bit better".

No that's not how you buy a product if you want to make an informed decision and get the best CPU. When you look at the big picture there are tons of different gaming scenarios where you will get big performance advantages by having a modern intel CPU.

Generalized the situation is pretty much this:

GPU limited games: intel and AMD are equal
CPU limited games: intel CPUs give a much better experience.

Why would you not opt for the CPU that can handle all sorts of situations very well? Why would you get a product that's only marginally faster in multithreaded non gaming related loads but is a great deal slower in a lot of the gaming situations out there today.

The FXs have their niche where they do really well for the money. Gaming isn't one of them, please do not buy an FX chip for gaming. Buying an 8core FX for gaming is almos tlike buying a dual core i3 for rendering. It makes no sense since there are better alternatives out there.
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
post #70 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Cleaned.

Back to the topic:

There's no reason to buy an inferior product (for gaming purposes) on the basis that "it's enough", "you can't notice the difference", "the other option is only a bit better".

No that's not how you buy a product if you want to make an informed decision and get the best CPU. When you look at the big picture there are tons of different gaming scenarios where you will get big performance advantages by having a modern intel CPU.

Generalized the situation is pretty much this:

GPU limited games: intel and AMD are equal
CPU limited games: intel CPUs give a much better experience.

Why would you not opt for the CPU that can handle all sorts of situations very well? Why would you get a product that's only marginally faster in multithreaded non gaming related loads but is a great deal slower in a lot of the gaming situations out there today.

The FXs have their niche where they do really well for the money. Gaming isn't one of them, please do not buy an FX chip for gaming. Buying an 8core FX for gaming is almos tlike buying a dual core i3 for rendering. It makes no sense since there are better alternatives out there.

If the game you like to play are indeed GPU limited, going with the FX-8350 rather than the I5 Haswell may well be a better option. The money you save on the cpu could be spent on the GPU.- something to think about.

Stay Puft has a top 30 single card 3dmark 11 score in these forums with a system that has a 3770K paired with a 7870. My FX-8350 paired with a modestly overclocked 7970 scores slightly higher.

Almost identical performance for the same money invested.
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Fx 8350 or haswell i5