Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Fx 8350 or haswell i5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fx 8350 or haswell i5 - Page 9  

post #81 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post

he has already stated he has a total budget of $900

And then we need to know what he has to replace, his priorities (best perf right now or after a GPU upgrade), etc.

Making a blanket statement about AMD CPUs costing less and thus allowing better GPUs is somewhat bad because it all depends on the situation. What stores can the OP use, and so on.

At a specific budget it stops being a question of AMD vs. intel and you get a race between different build suggestions.
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
post #82 of 488
You can build a system around a 3570K on that budget just as easily as you can an FX-8350. It's possible in either case if you pick the parts wisely. An 8350 isn't that much cheaper, and a lot of times, the motherboard for it costs more because a board that supports FX-8350 properly will need better voltage regulation than an Intel board. You can step down to the FX-6300 and save some money, but then you're more dependent on overclocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

For the AMD CPU = more money for a GPU, arguments, we'd need to know all the parts needed, exact budgets etc to say which option is better.
3570K maybe since it's a bit behind the 8350 in multithreaded loads but the 3770K is faster in almost every way. When all cores are perfectly utilized the core count doesn't matter. Only performance does and when all cores are utilized the 8350 can't really beat a 3770K.

However since cores will not be perfectly utilized in games due to their nature, it's pretty unlikely that we'll ever see an 8350 ever beat a 3570K in majority of the cases. And even if we did both CPUs would be way too dated at that point anyway.
I wasn't really thinking in terms of the 3770K anyway, since that is in another price and performance class. The 8350 and the 3570K are competing parts in the same price range.

The point was that in five years from now, software design will be targeted at six- and eight-core designs, rather than duals and quads as they are today. Software code optimized for eight cores will greatly favor an 8350, although by 2018 an 8350 will be obsolete.

I've run out-of-era software on old platforms before, just to see what will happen. AMD K6-x processors, which did exceptionally well on software targeted for assembler tools in their own era, perform particularly terrible on modern software, compared to the competing Intel parts of their day. K6-III 450 was faster than Pentium III 500 on everything but games back in 2000, but try running basic 2013 software like Firefox on them now, and the K6-III is slower than molasses in Antarctica, while the P3 can at least muddle through the task. Modern Intel architecture is still close enough to the Pentium III that the modern code can be handled, while there is no comparable microarchitecture today to that of the K6-III.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
post #83 of 488
Thread Starter 
Alright well ill get the i5 3570k it's actually on sale right now for like 180
post #84 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

And then we need to know what he has to replace, his priorities (best perf right now or after a GPU upgrade), etc.

Making a blanket statement about AMD CPUs costing less and thus allowing better GPUs is somewhat bad because it all depends on the situation. What stores can the OP use, and so on.

At a specific budget it stops being a question of AMD vs. intel and you get a race between different build suggestions.



The last person that asked for my advice on an upgrade lived 45 miles from a microcenter. At the time they had the 3770k bundled with an MSI Mpower board for a price slightly higher than the 8350/MSI 990FXA GD-80V2 combo I had just purchased. I recommended the 3770K, he bought it and is very happy with his new build ( his former rig was a intel 6600 on a sexy XFX 750sli green and black motherboard).



In this case Microcenter , as for most people, unfortunately isn't a viable option for the OP.
If he chooses the 8350 rather than the Haswell I 5 he will save money that he could invest in other components.

The 3570K is a good cpu, no denying that, but I can't recommend it to people over the FX-8350 in situations where its more expensive for the customer . There's enough instances where the 8350 matches or beats the 3570 at present to make it a plausible choice. The future seems to be headed in a direction towards what the 8350 has to offer and leaving the 4 cores to the same fate as the singles and duals.




Alatar:"The FXs have their niche where they do really well for the money. Gaming isn't one of them, please do not buy an FX chip for gaming. Buying an 8core FX for gaming is almos tlike buying a dual core i3 for rendering. It makes no sense since there are better alternatives out there. "

I think that was a rather poor analogy . You would always notice the handicap of a dual core for rendering whereas there are very few situations where there is a noticable difference between my 2600k and my FX- 8350 when gaming. The extra FPS may or may not be there, they are simply above a threshold at which we are able to perceive them.
Just my opinions , I have as much right to be wrong as anyone smile.gif.
Good luck to the OP with whatever you choose , enjoy the new rig!
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
post #85 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

And then we need to know what he has to replace, his priorities (best perf right now or after a GPU upgrade), etc.

Making a blanket statement about AMD CPUs costing less and thus allowing better GPUs is somewhat bad because it all depends on the situation. What stores can the OP use, and so on.

At a specific budget it stops being a question of AMD vs. intel and you get a race between different build suggestions.

All the parts I listed are from online dealers (with shipping price included). the OP said Microcenter was somewhat far
away from him (12 hours away). So, he is located within North America.

Parts lists
http://www.overclock.net/t/1394292/fx-8350-or-haswell-i5/50#post_20044629

My final test on an overclocked system is load up Prime95 then launch a game and let it run for a few yours.
I have done this on i7-920 @ 3.8GHz, i5-750 @ 4.0GHz and i5-2500k @4.5GHz along with all my AMD systems.
You will notice a huge difference on the none Hyper-Threading intel CPUs (turning off HT on i7-920 has the
same devastating result). give it a try. i7 or FX-8300 do significantly better than i5.

for all the people that claim the FX-8350 is a bad video game processors how many have overclocked one.
or even used it stock. why do you only find the same 5 games tested on review sites. Note of the site
overclock the memory control on the AMD systems (CPU-NB). Intel has the IMC bound to CPU speed.
So, when you overclock the CPU the memory controller automatically get overclocked.


BTW look how great console ports do on PC. while PC has 10 times the power than Xbox 360.
AK 1045
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 95W TDP GABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+ AMD 790X+SB750 1... MSI Radeon 5850 PowerColor Radeon 5850 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial Ballistix Tracer (D9GMH) PC2-6400 800MH... OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 200GB Scythe Mugen 2 with dual Scythe SFF21F Fans (Pu... 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) 1920x1200 Corsair 750TX 750W  CM HAF932 Logitech G5 
AudioAudio
ASUS XONAR DG with Heaphone amp > Sennheiser HD... 2x100 watt Class D amp 2x100 watt > Miller & Kr... 
  hide details  
AK 1045
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 95W TDP GABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+ AMD 790X+SB750 1... MSI Radeon 5850 PowerColor Radeon 5850 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial Ballistix Tracer (D9GMH) PC2-6400 800MH... OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 200GB Scythe Mugen 2 with dual Scythe SFF21F Fans (Pu... 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) 1920x1200 Corsair 750TX 750W  CM HAF932 Logitech G5 
AudioAudio
ASUS XONAR DG with Heaphone amp > Sennheiser HD... 2x100 watt Class D amp 2x100 watt > Miller & Kr... 
  hide details  
post #86 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuchler View Post

All the parts I listed are from online dealers (with shipping price included). the OP said Microcenter was somewhat far
away from him (12 hours away). So, he is located within North America.

Parts lists
http://www.overclock.net/t/1394292/fx-8350-or-haswell-i5/50#post_20044629

My final test on an overclocked system is load up Prime95 then launch a game and let it run for a few yours.
I have done this on i7-920 @ 3.8GHz, i5-750 @ 4.0GHz and i5-2500k @4.5GHz along with all my AMD systems.
You will notice a huge difference on the none Hyper-Threading intel CPUs (turning off HT on i7-920 has the
same devastating result). give it a try. i7 or FX-8300 do significantly better than i5.

for all the people that claim the FX-8350 is a bad video game processors how many have overclocked one.
or even used it stock. why do you only find the same 5 games tested on review sites. Note of the site
overclock the memory control on the AMD systems (CPU-NB). Intel has the IMC bound to CPU speed.
So, when you overclock the CPU the memory controller automatically get overclocked.


BTW look how great console ports do on PC. while PC has 10 times the power than Xbox 360.

Except, first off, your parts list leaves out pretty much the most important damn part in actually running a computer. A HDD/SSD. You are only able to fit an FX-8320 which is measures worse in performance than the i5-3570k (especially since OP can technically reach a Microcenter). And if you planned on putting in a FX-8350, your build would come out at the same budget as a build with an i5-3570k, rebates included. In fact, OP would end up paying more upfront for an FX-8350 build over the i5 build.

Second off, the IMC has nothing to do with the CPU frequency from SB and on-wards. If you want to learn more about it, go read up on Intel's Uncore.

Third off, you have to consider that you are going to need an above average 8350 to even think about hitting 5Ghz stable. And you are going to need a pretty good CPU cooler to do so as the chip runs quite hot. To achieve a 1Ghz over stock overclock, you are going to need quite a good cooler. An i5-3570k will easily hit around 4.4-4.5Ghz stable on something as simple as a Hyper 212 Evo. That is a 0.9-1Ghz overclock over stock. So honestly, the i5-3570k is going to offer even better performance for less of an overall cost, because a good heat-sink is going to add more to the cost of a machine to get a comparable overclock on your FX-8350 to be able to even compete with the 3570k.

Fourth off, the reason those games are particularly shown is because they show the different scenarios where the CPU is the limiting factor in gaming performance (exception of Crysis 3, which shows that the amount of cores has almost no effect whatsoever on performance, and I'm not going to even get into that argument).

Fifth off, why does everyone forget the Biostar TZ77XE3 exists. Its a spectacularly good motherboard that is cheap as heck even not on sale and a very good overclocking board for IB.

Sixth off, you are going to want at minimum something like the Pro R2.0 instead of the Evo R2.0 if you are looking to get the 8350 to good solid overclocks.


Oh, and yes. I've used an 8350 both stock and overclocked. Going to Intel made quite a noticeable difference in gaming performance (stock v stock, oc v oc). Especially in the games that I like playing (RTS, etc.)

I like AMD. Hell, I use AMD (for my htpc media/gaming PC), and I've used it previously in a higher end build. But don't even bother trying to justify that their CPUs are even on par for the money for gaming as Intel's CPUs are. They are a niche. In no way would I ever bother putting an AMD in a high end rig until they get their act together, hopefully with Steamroller. As for right now, unless you are building a super budget APU build, Intel is by far a better choice in every way. You can fanboy it up all you want, but the truth is there to back that statement up.






Build that OP could possibly run with the i5-3570k (with a Microcenter near him):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($61.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($248.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $930.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-25 22:14 EDT-0400)
post #87 of 488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Except, first off, your parts list leaves out pretty much the most important damn part in actually running a computer. A HDD/SSD. You are only able to fit an FX-8320 which is measures worse in performance than the i5-3570k (especially since OP can technically reach a Microcenter). And if you planned on putting in a FX-8350, your build would come out at the same budget as a build with an i5-3570k, rebates included. In fact, OP would end up paying more upfront for an FX-8350 build over the i5 build.

Second off, the IMC has nothing to do with the CPU frequency from SB and on-wards. If you want to learn more about it, go read up on Intel's Uncore.

Third off, you have to consider that you are going to need an above average 8350 to even think about hitting 5Ghz stable. And you are going to need a pretty good CPU cooler to do so as the chip runs quite hot. To achieve a 1Ghz over stock overclock, you are going to need quite a good cooler. An i5-3570k will easily hit around 4.4-4.5Ghz stable on something as simple as a Hyper 212 Evo. That is a 0.9-1Ghz overclock over stock. So honestly, the i5-3570k is going to offer even better performance for less of an overall cost, because a good heat-sink is going to add more to the cost of a machine to get a comparable overclock on your FX-8350 to be able to even compete with the 3570k.

Fourth off, the reason those games are particularly shown is because they show the different scenarios where the CPU is the limiting factor in gaming performance (exception of Crysis 3, which shows that the amount of cores has almost no effect whatsoever on performance, and I'm not going to even get into that argument).

Fifth off, why does everyone forget the Biostar TZ77XE3 exists. Its a spectacularly good motherboard that is cheap as heck even not on sale and a very good overclocking board for IB.

Sixth off, you are going to want at minimum something like the Pro R2.0 instead of the Evo R2.0 if you are looking to get the 8350 to good solid overclocks.


Oh, and yes. I've used an 8350 both stock and overclocked. Going to Intel made quite a noticeable difference in gaming performance (stock v stock, oc v oc). Especially in the games that I like playing (RTS, etc.)

I like AMD. Hell, I use AMD (for my htpc media/gaming PC), and I've used it previously in a higher end build. But don't even bother trying to justify that their CPUs are even on par for the money for gaming as Intel's CPUs are. They are a niche. In no way would I ever bother putting an AMD in a high end rig until they get their act together, hopefully with Steamroller. As for right now, unless you are building a super budget APU build, Intel is by far a better choice in every way. You can fanboy it up all you want, but the truth is there to back that statement up.






Build that OP could possibly run with the i5-3570k (with a Microcenter near him):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($61.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($248.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $930.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-25 22:14 EDT-0400)
you seed that I could use micro center but I don't live near one, I'd be driving for like 12 hours to reach one
post #88 of 488
ok i will build it again but in a easier to read build

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox cpu amd fx 8350+oem heatsink/fan$189.99 free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-sabertooth990fxr20 asus sabertooth 990fx $178.98 free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9q16gab 4x4gb 1866mhz gskil ram $134.99 free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vtr125sat3128g OCZ vector 128gb ssd $128.99 after $20 mail in rebate free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx787acnfc xfx ati hd 7870 $199.99 after $20 mail in rebate free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pc-power--cooling-power-supply-ppcmk3s750 PC power & cooling 750w $99.99 after $40 mail in rebate and promo code free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xigmatek-case-cccae37bsu02 xigmatek asguard pro $44.99 free s&h

total of $977.92 no skimping all high quality highend good airflow and designed to last unlike previous build lined out biostar i wont touch for the life of me he also was skimping on the PSU not enough power for the hd 7870 + cpu + motherboard + cooling + hardrives + ram + towwer fans and so on the 550w PSU that was suggested would be well over 80% load from day one more near %100+ on 12v rail if you decided to overclock remember cpu + 7870 alone are under load around 350w not including the other fans / cooling / hardrives and rest of motherboard.

remember the above listed power supply previously suggested the xfx 550w only has a 44amp 12v rail that meens it has a max 100% load on 12v rail of 528w and 80% load is 422.5 max recomended load to remain in the good clean safe power with CPU and GPU eating around 350w that leaves you with 72.5w left motheboard will draw atleast 15w hardrives draw around 10w a piece or more each fan in tower is around 8w-15w a piece then you get into the CPU cooling this is not including the ram in there yes the ram and cpu and part of the graphics card is also powered thru the motherboard thru the VRM's this all not counting into affect efficiency lost to heat or fact of degredation of powersupply over time which is efficiency loss and it happens alot faster when loaded hard and increases failure rate which is dangerous if power supply fails it can fry everythign attached to it this is why i listed a 750w good high quality PSU that is quaranteed to last you and offer future upgrade paths without worries.

also remember the build i laid out is not a dead socket and offer the steamroller later on along with everything being high quality upper tier with good warranty and name brand.

almost everything i linked has a motherboard 5yr warranty PSU 7yr warranty GPU + ram lifetime warranty. not 1-3yrs with questionable reliability like biostar
Edited by rickcooperjr - 5/25/13 at 8:39pm
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
post #89 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kole208 View Post

you seed that I could use micro center but I don't live near one, I'd be driving for like 12 hours to reach one

The i5-3570k is ~$195 at Newegg.com right now with the promo code: EMCYTZT3486 . Which even after would still make it cheaper than the build rickcooperjr linked below you. And would also put it in the same pricing league as a comparable FX-8350 build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post

ok i will build it again but in a easier to read build

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox cpu amd fx 8350 $189.99 free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-sabertooth990fxr20 asus sabertooth 990fx $178.98 free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9q16gab 4x4gb 1866mhz gskil ram $134.99 free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vtr125sat3128g OCZ vector 128gb ssd $128.99 after $20 mail in rebate free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx787acnfc xfx ati hd 7870 $199.99 after $20 mail in rebate free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pc-power--cooling-power-supply-ppcmk3s750 PC power & cooling 750w $99.99 after $40 mail in rebate and promo code free s&h
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xigmatek-case-cccae37bsu02 xigmatek asguard pro $44.99 free s&h

total of $977.92 no skimping all high quality highend good airflow and designed to last unlike previous build lined out biostar i wont touch for the life of me he also was skimping on the PSU not enough power for the hd 7870 + cpu + motherboard + cooling + hardrives + ram + towwer fans and so on the 550w PSU that was suggested would be well over 80% load from day one more near %100+ on 12v rail remember cpu + 7870 alone are under load around 350w not including the other fans / cooling / hardrives and rest of motherboard.

His budget is $900. You NEED a good high end 990FX board to consider getting a good 5Ghz overclock on your FX-8350. You don't need a super super high end motherboard to get a 4.5Ghz overclock on Intel's Z77. Your comment on Biostar shows how little you realize how much the motherboard on Z77 determines a CPU's overclock. The Biostar TZ77XE3 is very comparable to its more expensive Gigabyte cousin the UD3H and offers spectacular performance for its price.

Second off, a 550w is just flat out overkill for the build I linked. He wouldn't even be looking at 180-200w of use in normal gaming usage, overclocking included (CPU overclock on IB generally nets about 40-50w extra at full 100% load, and a general GPU overclock is going to add around the same. Utterly no reason for a 750w PSU in a build like this.

Also, your build is so far off the mark in terms of price and also includes a much worse GPU and worse budget case. It also doesn't include a mass storage drive.
post #90 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

You NEED a good high end 990FX board to consider getting a good 5Ghz overclock on your FX-8350.
I agree in principle that the OP should go Intel, but this statement is not true. The Gigabyte 970A-UD3 has the same VRM setup as their high-end 990FX boards, and overclocks as well as anything out there. It's 104.99 at Newegg right now, and I scored it for $89 on sale there a few months ago. I've also had the Biostar TA970XE, another high-quality 970 board, and ran a Thuban with a 1 GHz overclock on it.

It's the quality of the VRM's on an AMD board that determine its suitability for overclocking, not the presence of a 990FX chipset. There are some less expensive 970's that can do the job just as well. if you don't ever plan to run more than one video card--there's a performance hit for using CF on a 970.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Fx 8350 or haswell i5